Working as a Pommy FIFO Worker

PNE POM

Well try not to let it get to you. There will be those moving back as the economy is changing. There are those who just come for the money, and there is nothing wrong with that. They worked and paid taxes, and sometimes that's just how it is. Some fall in love with the place. Some don't. Doesn't really matter, and it's not a reflection on the people. Some are bitter about the experience, and that's something they need to work through.

As most martial arts will tell you, it's best to work with an opposing force rather than try and best it. Deflection is always the best defence.

Why whinge to PIO when you agree to the conditions set out in the contracts?? Shouldn't they discuss these issues with management??

Cheers, Bobj.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've noticed recently just how many Fifo workers are suddenly saying oh there's more to life than money time to put family first , now their contracts are coming to an end and they have no choice. Funny that :rolleyes:

No I have plenty of work if required, as it happens I was home (Eng) Christmas an saw my nieces with young children growing up which their uncle has no part in. It upset me that I'm not there, an as I said in a perilous text with the money cuts an BHP taking their workers more for granted, I could no longer see a reason to stay

So, you chose to chase the big money, why, then are you whingeing to us?

And yes, I was doing that sort of work in the 1960s and 70s; mostly in semi desert country. 2 weeks on, second weekend off. We didn't have the luxury of a flight, it was a 4 hour drive after work and a 4 hour drive back on sunday afternoons.

Cheers, Bobj.

Bobj my first job in wagerup past pinjara WA was a two hr drive each way from Clarkson 6 days a week for 6 months, so really a 4 hr drive is bugger all. Infact given the chance of a 4 hr drive to wk I'd bite my employers hand off!

BTW for the 60's an 70's two weeks away then a 4 hr drive home is a great roster, check out what the miners in the Pilbara had to do sometime lad that's a roster!....

Well as the wife of a fifo worker I can tell you it sucks. Since Christmas I've seen him about 15 days. No, I didn't object to him taking the job but he was so unhappy in his last job I couldn't see an alternative. He was very pleased that he got the contract. How ever I am now stuck here, lonely and spending all my time alone. So much for a better life with more time to enjoy things together ... I think not.

Well as the wife of a fifo worker I can tell you it sucks. Since Christmas I've seen him about 15 days. No, I didn't object to him taking the job but he was so unhappy in his last job I couldn't see an alternative. He was very pleased that he got the contract. How ever I am now stuck here, lonely and spending all my time alone. So much for a better life with more time to enjoy things together ... I think not.

What swing is he on! Why are you spending all your time on your own?

Because I have no family here, only a couple of people I can call friends but they are busy leading their own lives. He loves it here with his camping, 4 x4 driving etc. He says it's hard on him as he is stuck in a hotel room night after night, I realise that but he wanted the bloody job.

Guest The Pom Queen
Because I have no family here, only a couple of people I can call friends but they are busy leading their own lives. He loves it here with his camping, 4 x4 driving etc. He says it's hard on him as he is stuck in a hotel room night after night, I realise that but he wanted the bloody job.

:hug:

I really do feel for you but I think a FIFO job has to suit the family unit not just one person. I couldn't be a wife of a FIFO worker I'd hate being apart from my OH. There are members on here whose husbands are on FIFO and they cope really well, I suppose we are all different. I can understand what members mean when you see someone take this kind of work then complain about it. I know my SIL mother and father came out they thought they could earn millions with him working FIFO, I explained the pros and cons but no they knew best, yet he did nothing but whinge about it, how crap the job was, how hot it was, how dusty it was, he lasted 12 months and they both returned to the UK but on their own as their marriage could not stand it. Surely when you take a FIFO job you know it's going to be hot, dusty, crap shifts, long days/weeks, little family time etc.

:hug:

I really do feel for you but I think a FIFO job has to suit the family unit not just one person. I couldn't be a wife of a FIFO worker I'd hate being apart from my OH. There are members on here whose husbands are on FIFO and they cope really well, I suppose we are all different. I can understand what members mean when you see someone take this kind of work then complain about it. I know my SIL mother and father came out they thought they could earn millions with him working FIFO, I explained the pros and cons but no they knew best, yet he did nothing but whinge about it, how crap the job was, how hot it was, how dusty it was, he lasted 12 months and they both returned to the UK but on their own as their marriage could not stand it. Surely when you take a FIFO job you know it's going to be hot, dusty, crap shifts, long days/weeks, little family time etc.

FIFO has cost me countless relationships, I may have a nice house, car, clothes and be able to go on any holiday I want (if I could get time off work) but the fact is if you have no-one to share it with its all pointless for me. Roll on March 2015 get out of the red dirt an England here I come! :biggrin:

That really sucks! I feel for ya tillyd!

FIFO has cost me countless relationships, I may have a nice house, car, clothes and be able to go on any holiday I want (if I could get time off work) but the fact is if you have no-one to share it with its all pointless for me. Roll on March 2015 get out of the red dirt an England here I come! :biggrin:

If it is pointless for you, why are you staying another year??

Cheers, Bobj.

Time for a heart to heart..

Well not all Fifo is the same clearly. Plus not all companies are the same. For example my OH had a 7 day induction where he had to watch countless videos on what life would be like on site. Also not all Fifo is dusty mines, some like my OHs is the Oil & Gas industry some are out off shore on rigs & boats, OH is on an Island that happens to be a nature reserve. A relationship that doesn't stand the test isn't a relationship that would have anyway in my opinion. What about forces wives their lot is one heck of a lot worse and they don't have the huge pay packet at the end to put a smile on their faces. Yes it isn't for everyone. But if you do "choose" it then don't flipping whinge about it. No I don't actively enjoy my OH being away but the flip side of that is when he's on his R&R its like a honeymoon & Christmas rolled into one and when he's away I busy myself and we talk every single day twice a day and send each other silly little love texts. It's not that hard IMO.

My wife was exactly the same she hated it it didnt help that she didnt like OZ either, the contract im on now was for 18 months but im still here 2.5 years latter. when my daughter had her first child last year my wife started asking to go to the UK (neither of us have lived there for over 20 years) so i moved her back to the UK in Jan to be close to our Duaghter while i finish a contract here. I still do FIFO to OZ untill this contract finishes and then i will carry on doing the same for the next few years but in other parts of the world.

When you sign a contract you do know a lot of the facts as people are pointing out but you dont know how the job will go and what the people are like you are working with, what the camp is like etc etc same as starting any normal job but you have already signed the deal.

I enjoy the FIFO work! yes the swings can be hard but i get quality extended time at home with my wife were we can pretty much do as we please. some contracts offer 1/1 meaning you only work 6 months a year.For me it is also the end game this will enable me to retire much earlier and kick back.

If it is pointless for you, why are you staying another year??Cheers, Bobj.

It's called commitments Bobj, An I'm the sort of person that cannot run off from them. Plus still have to sell the house/car etc

Trust me I'm outta here after that!

Guest Guest66881
It's called commitments Bobj, An I'm the sort of person that cannot run off from them. Plus still have to sell the house/car etc

Trust me I'm outta here after that!

How come mate?

I work offshore and am in the process of moving to Oz shortly for a 5 week on/off contract, I've been working away for 10+ years and it works for me and my family. Yes it can be tough when the kids miss you and you miss them, the distant phone calls and of course everything goes wrong the minute you leave (the car breaks down, the washing machine breaks, the bank decide you need another form signing and you cannot access money until its done etc) but on the positives the time off is quality time without and disturbances to be with your family (if you work good rotations i.e. time on equals time off). How many fathers can go to their kids school and help out, or pick them up for lunch, or have the energy to pick them up from school on a Friday and go off for a long trip over the week or school holiday without being absolutely knackered. It takes a very strong wife to handle it though, because when you are away she needs to do both roles, but if you have the right mindset, the life can work. It's also important to work for a good company, recently I was in Singapore and my wife at home in the sandpit (Middle East) when she called me at 9am to say my son was in hospital, at 12:00 I was in the airport, and by 10pm I was in the hospital, 48 hours later I was back at work...

The idea of a 9-5, waking up early, coming home late and being knackered at the weekends whilst looking forward to the statutory 4 weeks holiday or whatever people get, I personally couldn't hack that. I work 5 weeks of 12-14 hour days and then have total relaxation when home, no phone calls, no stress.

For some the life works, for others it doesn't.

One note is that obviously offshore is different for onshore/mining etc, I think the work conditions offshore are pretty well regulated and the quality of life is good whilst working.

I work offshore and am in the process of moving to Oz shortly for a 5 week on/off contract, I've been working away for 10+ years and it works for me and my family. Yes it can be tough when the kids miss you and you miss them, the distant phone calls and of course everything goes wrong the minute you leave (the car breaks down, the washing machine breaks, the bank decide you need another form signing and you cannot access money until its done etc) but on the positives the time off is quality time without and disturbances to be with your family (if you work good rotations i.e. time on equals time off). How many fathers can go to their kids school and help out, or pick them up for lunch, or have the energy to pick them up from school on a Friday and go off for a long trip over the week or school holiday without being absolutely knackered. It takes a very strong wife to handle it though, because when you are away she needs to do both roles, but if you have the right mindset, the life can work. It's also important to work for a good company, recently I was in Singapore and my wife at home in the sandpit (Middle East) when she called me at 9am to say my son was in hospital, at 12:00 I was in the airport, and by 10pm I was in the hospital, 48 hours later I was back at work...

The idea of a 9-5, waking up early, coming home late and being knackered at the weekends whilst looking forward to the statutory 4 weeks holiday or whatever people get, I personally couldn't hack that. I work 5 weeks of 12-14 hour days and then have total relaxation when home, no phone calls, no stress.

For some the life works, for others it doesn't.

One note is that obviously offshore is different for onshore/mining etc, I think the work conditions offshore are pretty well regulated and the quality of life is good whilst working.

Its a good point. My OH is home 24/7 for 9 straight days. He was lucky to get 4 days a month when on his "normal" shift.

Hubby isn't a FIFO worker in Australia. He's in the British Army although his new job starts in May and he is working offshore... 4 weeks on 1 off is his first rotation.

I just have to say that it IS hard being with someone (or being that someone) who works away a lot and I do think you have to be self sufficient and work hard at your relationship when you don't see each other a lot. A few years ago hubby got a posting order to Northern Ireland. We are Southern so for us quite a few hundred miles from home. Within 3 weeks we had arrived in Belfast, within another 2 weeks he was on his way to Afghanistan and there I was stuck in Northern Ireland, no friends, no family, with a 5 year old oh and I was pregnant.

Did it suck? Hell yeah lol. We didn't have any extra money as a sweetener, I knew No one like literally not one person lol. I had no one to talk too. People didn't talk to me because I was Southern. We got told to look under our cars for bombs and then 2 British soldiers were killed on the front gate of my husbands camp just as they were leaving for Afghan. I had no one to help me. But.... sometimes you just have to suck it up. People say things like "Oh you knew when you married him etc" well I didn't lol. I met my husband when I was 14, when he joined the Army at 17 I was a child, I wasn't thinking about our future like that. I didn't understand what being an Army wife was like and the war in Iraq hadn't started let alone the one in Afghan. How could I have possibly predicted how many operational tours he would go on and how often I would see him.

You have to be tough but you also have to make decisions together. It wasn't the right time for us for hubby to leave before he has, he's leaving now because we decided it was best for our family and yes although it's another job where he will be away it will be better for us as a family especially with our future plans.

It isn't for everyone but IMO the good bits have nearly always outweighed the bad and we have always been honest and open about how we feel etc. The amount of times we've been on the phone and both said, This bloody sucks!! Which yeah it can do. But if it's not for you then that's fine too but tell people and be honest.

Sorry for writing an essay lol xx

Hubby isn't a FIFO worker in Australia. He's in the British Army although his new job starts in May and he is working offshore... 4 weeks on 1 off is his first rotation.

I just have to say that it IS hard being with someone (or being that someone) who works away a lot and I do think you have to be self sufficient and work hard at your relationship when you don't see each other a lot. A few years ago hubby got a posting order to Northern Ireland. We are Southern so for us quite a few hundred miles from home. Within 3 weeks we had arrived in Belfast, within another 2 weeks he was on his way to Afghanistan and there I was stuck in Northern Ireland, no friends, no family, with a 5 year old oh and I was pregnant.

Did it suck? Hell yeah lol. We didn't have any extra money as a sweetener, I knew No one like literally not one person lol. I had no one to talk too. People didn't talk to me because I was Southern. We got told to look under our cars for bombs and then 2 British soldiers were killed on the front gate of my husbands camp just as they were leaving for Afghan. I had no one to help me. But.... sometimes you just have to suck it up. People say things like "Oh you knew when you married him etc" well I didn't lol. I met my husband when I was 14, when he joined the Army at 17 I was a child, I wasn't thinking about our future like that. I didn't understand what being an Army wife was like and the war in Iraq hadn't started let alone the one in Afghan. How could I have possibly predicted how many operational tours he would go on and how often I would see him.

You have to be tough but you also have to make decisions together. It wasn't the right time for us for hubby to leave before he has, he's leaving now because we decided it was best for our family and yes although it's another job where he will be away it will be better for us as a family especially with our future plans.

It isn't for everyone but IMO the good bits have nearly always outweighed the bad and we have always been honest and open about how we feel etc. The amount of times we've been on the phone and both said, This bloody sucks!! Which yeah it can do. But if it's not for you then that's fine too but tell people and be honest.

Sorry for writing an essay lol xx

:notworthy: Good on ya!

This is a good point and as PNE POM pointed out the employers market also changes the ball game on the mines

Archived