Life on hold

Gbye grey sky

Not literally as we are still doing all the day to day stuff but.......

Last year when we set the wheels in motion and planned the move for 2015 it really did not seem an issue and for our work, finances and school, 2015 made and makes perfect sense.

But how time often weighs heavy when you are waiting for something to happen and it's amazing how much future plans keep coming up.

Other parents asking where our daughter is likely to be going after she finishes at prep next year. Things that you do around the house you think of just in terms of cost/benefits when you know you are selling within 2 years. And worst of all avoiding any mention with work colleagues and trying not to get involved in anything there with a long term commitment without explaining why as it is way too early to reveal intentions.

I expect the visa grant in a few weeks but the significance of that milestone is tempered by the long lead time we have given ourselves. It isn't that there is anything wrong here but just looking forward now to the new adventure and it is too soon to do much of the stuff that will need to be done.

It must feel the same to those on the MBTUK threads. Not expecting any advice or anything but just wonder how others manage these periods.

Six years of "in limbo",....ng sick of it now tbh,but as you say, life goes on in the meantime,instead of us going to aus,it's now just me, either the hse sells and im there for aug 12th,or that's it,over and done with and can look at plan b,to be fair it's probably done and dusted now,but we'll see what happens,one things for sure,absolutely cheesed off with with it all now,need direction in life,and not knowing 100% doesn't help with direction/plans,good luck with your own journey GGS

This is the worst thing about moving, it really is. The years leading up to the move, not buying a house in my case, not mentally settling, planning ahead too far, then you actually move after years and years of living in limbo. Then you live in limbo in oz..well I kind of did..waiting to get a good job, is this where I want to be, saving and saving to buy stuff, can't afford to even think about starting a family, and on it goes..two years later, move back to the UK...I'm now looking forward to buying my first house, I had to go through all of that to know I'm in the right place. But yes, living in limbo is ****!

Guest Guest 47403

I honestly haven't felt like that at all until now that the house has sold, the process has seemed a little surreal at times just something that is happening in the background. However since putting the phone down from accepting the offer it does feel as if we're in limbo, at least until we have a completion date for the house and can organise the shipping company etc.

Not literally as we are still doing all the day to day stuff but.......

Last year when we set the wheels in motion and planned the move for 2015 it really did not seem an issue and for our work, finances and school, 2015 made and makes perfect sense.

But how time often weighs heavy when you are waiting for something to happen and it's amazing how much future plans keep coming up.

Other parents asking where our daughter is likely to be going after she finishes at prep next year. Things that you do around the house you think of just in terms of cost/benefits when you know you are selling within 2 years. And worst of all avoiding any mention with work colleagues and trying not to get involved in anything there with a long term commitment without explaining why as it is way too early to reveal intentions.

I expect the visa grant in a few weeks but the significance of that milestone is tempered by the long lead time we have given ourselves. It isn't that there is anything wrong here but just looking forward now to the new adventure and it is too soon to do much of the stuff that will need to be done.

It must feel the same to those on the MBTUK threads. Not expecting any advice or anything but just wonder how others manage these periods.

The plans ....the plans ....there aint any ....my wife who is the wisest person I ever met ....don't plan for jack .....she does it , and gets on with it ......if it turns up she deals with it ....if it don't ...she don't worry about it .....she really does shrug her shoulders

Guest guest30085

The thought bubble on my Skype login has said 'living in limbo' for years now ..

Five years ago I started a course at Uni in the hope that one day it would lead me down the yellow brick road to Oz. I've been so set on making that happen, that I pretty much stopped living for 'now' and stopped committing to anything, work, people, planning ahead as I didn't know where I would be, or if I would even be there to join in. Anyone who knows me always asks about an event and then quickly follows it with 'oh you might not be here'. Even though I now have my visa and the house is up for sale, this seems to be the worst time for the feeling of being in limbo. Someone said to me recently that I scared them with how determined I was, which is true, I didn't let anything else sway me from my decision, even though looking back I've probably missed out on so many things due to Uni and the visa process etc. But even I have started to have wobbles now that the possibility of moving to Oz draws nearer than it ever has been, I'm surprised by that as I've been so focused on it that now it's dawning on me what a big move I'm making. :wacko:

But I don't think anyone who hasn't been through this process quite understands that it isn't all roses, and the stress and effort that a lot go through just to get the visa, whilst seemingly putting their life in hold until they can go, they seem to think you just make up your mind one day and then as if by magic there is a visa.

I felt in a limbo when we waited for the visa for 18 moths ( due to security checks). Didn`t know whether and when are we going, didn`t accept a job offer at a good place because I thought we were moving soon and I thought it wouldn`t be fair to the new employer ( in this, at least, I was fortunately right). Didn`t go for our yearly trip to Europe as always, went instead to Australia for 2 weeks to finalize nursing license..... a lot of our decisions were influenced by the fact that we are not going to settle here in the US. My friend told me that she was really considering that we`ll be gone when she thought about asking me to be a godmother to her youngest, at the end she did and I`m ready to keep sending presents from Australia and keep in touch as I`m supposed to :wink:. People at work knew about my plans from the beginning, I was very open with them ( and I needed a reference, employment record etc :wink:).

Six years of "in limbo",....ng sick of it now tbh,but as you say, life goes on in the meantime,instead of us going to aus,it's now just me, either the hse sells and im there for aug 12th,or that's it,over and done with and can look at plan b,to be fair it's probably done and dusted now,but we'll see what happens,one things for sure,absolutely cheesed off with with it all now,need direction in life,and not knowing 100% doesn't help with direction/plans,good luck with your own journey GGS

Really hope that you get where you want to be Pabs. At least we know there is nothing really stopping us achieving our goal.

The thought bubble on my Skype login has said 'living in limbo' for years now ..

Five years ago I started a course at Uni in the hope that one day it would lead me down the yellow brick road to Oz. I've been so set on making that happen, that I pretty much stopped living for 'now' and stopped committing to anything, work, people, planning ahead as I didn't know where I would be, or if I would even be there to join in. Anyone who knows me always asks about an event and then quickly follows it with 'oh you might not be here'. Even though I now have my visa and the house is up for sale, this seems to be the worst time for the feeling of being in limbo. Someone said to me recently that I scared them with how determined I was, which is true, I didn't let anything else sway me from my decision, even though looking back I've probably missed out on so many things due to Uni and the visa process etc. But even I have started to have wobbles now that the possibility of moving to Oz draws nearer than it ever has been, I'm surprised by that as I've been so focused on it that now it's dawning on me what a big move I'm making. :wacko:

But I don't think anyone who hasn't been through this process quite understands that it isn't all roses, and the stress and effort that a lot go through just to get the visa, whilst seemingly putting their life in hold until they can go, they seem to think you just make up your mind one day and then as if by magic there is a visa.

I certainly have had none of this so your story, and others on here like yours, is pretty humbling really. It must feel a bit wierd because getting the visa was the goal but the you have to stop and think....wait, that's just the start of it. And you have to find new reserves of determination for the emigration itself.

The plans ....the plans ....there aint any ....my wife who is the wisest person I ever met ....don't plan for jack .....she does it , and gets on with it ......if it turns up she deals with it ....if it don't ...she don't worry about it .....she really does shrug her shoulders

My wife is total opposite of that. She loves planning and organising stuff relating to the move. All my research has come from reading PIO tbh. I am more the impulsive type really which is why the waiting and all the advance planning is getting to me. Thought I could just put it to the back of my mind until it was more immediate but finding that impossible.

Good to have PIO to offload this on though as it really is not something you can talk about with friends or family.

Plans shmans! Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans! Pretend tomorrow may be your last and act accordingly I reckon. If school is in the future then go with what would happen if all your planning came to naught, ditto house stuff.

Guest guest30085
I certainly have had none of this so your story, and others on here like yours, is pretty humbling really. It must feel a bit wierd because getting the visa was the goal but the you have to stop and think....wait, that's just the start of it. And you have to find new reserves of determination for the emigration itself.

Hey GGS

I would never underestimate anyone's version of emigrating, it's still a huge commitment whatever country you move to, even if you have family there etc.

It's only now I've stopped to think about it, but that's probably because I've been too busy to before recent weeks. But, you are correct, getting the visa seems to pale into insignificance in comparison to the actual moving. Everything will come together though for you :)

Once we got the visa we flip flopped a lot over whether to move quickly or whether to give it a couple more years. We went quickly in the end, within six months that is, and now I am very glad we went quickly. I don't think for us there would have been any benefit in delaying, but easy to say that now of course.

Archived