Outdoor lifestyle

Nikey

Unless your very wealthy your be getting into your car and driving to the beach. Most people can't walk there.. And regards to food.. You make the choices what you eat not the country you reside in.
I'm not very wealthy! I am very lucky to live a mile from the beach over here and youre right I prob cldnt get that over there. My recent holiday wasnt the real world....they never are and yes it is my choice to b healthy. Just changing habits really now that kiddies r at school it is all possible:biggrin:

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Australia enables me to swim more and play golf and tennis more as the weather is warm year round in Brisbane. Summer activities become year around activities.

I'm lucky enough to be able to walk to most things I need but many have to drive everywhere, you just dont see many people walking around in outer suburbs. So this kind of counteracts the better climate.

yes I know what u mean....that was what was nice in the Canaries that u cld walk but then u didnt have good jobs, cinema, etc in the town so it is unrealistic. Ideally there wld b a nice small community near the beach with all the facilities and jobs where u could walk to everything. Oh and good jobs and cheap housing. Im dreaming! Sounds like u hVe got it pretty good.

I'm not very wealthy! I am very lucky to live a mile from the beach over here and youre right I prob cldnt get that over there. My recent holiday wasnt the real world....they never are and yes it is my choice to b healthy. Just changing habits really now that kiddies r at school it is all possible:biggrin:

You live in a fantastic place in the uk, the best in my opinion .. You have it all but consistent weather but to be honest there's more to life than weather.. I'll be your neighbour next year

That is REALLY interesting as u r into all yhe same sports as us. Interesting that your soccer is cr#p in the heat.....I was knly thinking of it from the uk point of view, frozen pitch, wet pitch etc but hadnt thought t'other way round.

And yes northshore pom is right.....all opinions are important as it is about what people actually do in real life not in theory

nope sorry Baz Im with Northshore Pom on this one.

It very much depends on what kind of outdoor sports/activities youre into. If youre into watersports (surfing, sailing, kayaking etc.) then yes, Oz is first class and far better than doing these things in blighty I would think (Ive only dabbled in these but from what Ive seen Oz wins hands down). However some of the sports I do play like tennis and soccer.....

We have had numerous cancellations this summer due to the heat on both counts. On some days when I have played competitive singles tennis matches in the blazing heat, its no fun I can tell you, just not enjoyable. same with 5 a side, just not fun playing in humid or very hot conditions.

Other things I enjoy like mountain biking and walking. I would rate UK as better for both of these. When I lived in Edinburgh you have Glentress down the road, a top class mountain biking trail. There are some trails here in Adelaide but not at the same level. For walking, bush walks are OK here but again walking through scrubby heat scorched terrain really doesn't compare to the Lake District or hills of Scotland.

The above only my opinion and experience. But saying its a more outdoor lifestyle in Oz as a blanket observation aint true

Even if you bought 10Km from the beach Nikey how long would it take to get there by car? Not long and there are free car parks at every beach. It's not like the UK where they charge an arm and a leg to park everywhere. We went to Bournemouth on holiday not long before we emigrated and I was into windsurfing at the time. Meant we had to take the car and try and find a spot to park close to a beach, not easy in itself, then get charged and make sure you don't overstay your alloted time.

We probably would have taken the car anyway as the hotel wasn't exactly close to the beach.

You don't need to be wealthy to be able to do the things it sounds like you enjoy. Going to the beach costs nothing. You know what you say about your recent holiday "wasnt the real world....they never are", well for most of the time, yes most, we feel like we are on that holiday just living here. Been to the Canaries and it's a nice place. If you've been to the Algarve well Perth and Coastline around often gets compared to there.

Not a bad comparison I don't think, we used to have a timeshare on the Algarve and it is very similar. Even get the afternoon sea breeze in both places.

We were back in the UK in August and September and had some good weather. It surprised me how many mozzies and flying pests were around in the UK, especially if we were out at night. I guess that's the down side of having decent weather. My Sister lives next to a country park with a few lakes and streams in though so it would have been a perfect breeding ground.

Nasty little critters....no nasty diseases tho

eewwww

You live in a fantastic place in the uk, the best in my opinion .. You have it all but consistent weather but to be honest there's more to life than weather.. I'll be your neighbour next year

It is a good place, I must admit. U moving to uk next year?

@Paul1Perth

We r really lucky coz we can park for free at the beach or walk there. Have been to bournemouth.....lovely beach but my goodness the parking was a mare and the travel lodge £140 per night. We camped!

Sounds like u have a little piece of heaven where u r....hold on to it :cool:

That is REALLY interesting as u r into all yhe same sports as us. Interesting that your soccer is cr#p in the heat.....I was knly thinking of it from the uk point of view, frozen pitch, wet pitch etc but hadnt thought t'other way round.

And yes northshore pom is right.....all opinions are important as it is about what people actually do in real life not in theory

Yep, tis a different ball game over here I found.

My first proper hot day of the tennis summer season, doubles match was fine but then I faced a young punk at singles. (should add Id been out on the beers night before what do they expect making us play Saturday morning).:cool:

Halfway through my match I honestly thought I was going to either puke or pass out. I consider myself fairly fit and play loads of sport but this was something Id never encountered. Ive had to start thinking a lot more about bringing stuff along to matches like bananas, extra water etc. etc. First time I played I laughed to myself at opponents with all their energy drinks etc, me with my single bottle of water but I soon learnt.

Footie, never bothered me playing in the cold as you soon warm up. Problem here is five a side indoor it can be unbearably hot, and on grass you often get the bone hard pitches which don't suit my total football game :biglaugh:

just saying i am far from wealthy but just bought a house at the seaside in nsw so it is possible. i do a lot more outdoors in oz and dont hide indoors in summer.

It very much depends on what kind of outdoor sports/activities youre into. If youre into watersports (surfing, sailing, kayaking etc.) then yes, Oz is first class and far better than doing these things in blighty I would think (Ive only dabbled in these but from what Ive seen Oz wins hands down). However some of the sports I do play like tennis and soccer.....

We have had numerous cancellations this summer due to the heat on both counts. On some days when I have played competitive singles tennis matches in the blazing heat, its no fun I can tell you, just not enjoyable. same with 5 a side, just not fun playing in humid or very hot conditions.

Other things I enjoy like mountain biking and walking. I would rate UK as better for both of these. When I lived in Edinburgh you have Glentress down the road, a top class mountain biking trail. There are some trails here in Adelaide but not at the same level. For walking, bush walks are OK here but again walking through scrubby heat scorched terrain really doesn't compare to the Lake District or hills of Scotland.

The above only my opinion and experience. But saying its a more outdoor lifestyle in Oz as a blanket observation aint true

This chimes with an earlier comment of mine on this thread. If you are into hiking, mountain biking and other active pursuits then UK is fine most of the time. I am getting older and whilst I used to hike a bit I rather prefer strolling now and warmer is better for that.

OH loves to sail and did a great deal of sailing when living near Sydney. You can of course sail in the UK much of the year which she used to do but you have to be hardy and sailing in Oz spoiled her really.

I suppose we are looking for a relaxed leisurely outdoor lifestyle and you get none of that for about 5 consecutive months in the UK which is a long period and take pot luck from April to October.

It is interesting reading the different perspectives of those that live in Oz about how much or little they make use of the warmer climate to spend outside. I suspect that some raise the bar somewhat when they are there and acclimatise to the extent that what constitutes a good day to spend outside in the UK is not good enough in Oz simply because you have more good days there. In UK if the sun shines and it's warm you have to get out and not waste it as who knows when you will get another chance.

People who say that in Oz you will be several kilometres from the coast and will have to drive may have forgotten that most major cities in the UK are nowhere near the coast and most people would drive for hours on a sunny day to get to the coast. Yes, if you live in Brighton, say, you have the sea nearby but if you want a bit of variety on the pebbly beach there you will still have to get in your car.

Guest Guest66881

Absolutely stank around lake Joondalup the other night, glad that's not on our doorstep PUEEEEW:eek:

There are some things I prefer about the UK and some things I prefer about Aus.

The weather is definitely one of the things I love about Aus.

Where I live is considered to have the best climate in Australia so maybe that makes a difference.

There have been some very hot days but only once have I felt it was too hot to be outside.

I see far more blue sky here than I ever did in the UK.

Even in winter in the UK we would go out for walks but my ears got so painful in the cold, even with a hat or earmuffs on.

Here in Aus, we have been dining al fresco for the past 5 months and even in winter we went to people's houses and stayed outside all evening. We just wore jackets and had a wood burner.

Guest Guest 47403

Unlike some I don't mind if you have a different opinion and won't try and get personal about it, I think you are wrong though I reckon far more football games get called off due to frozen or water logged pitches than the heat.

As for mountain biking which I do enjoy the trails seem to be pretty much on par personally I prefer dry trails to wet ones wherever I am, as for walking beauty is in the eye of the beholder as far as scenery goes personally I'd rather walk the overland track in Tasmania or in a Queensland rain forest than in the Lake district.

I agree not every sport is better in the heat, but the thread is about lifestyle and not just sport, and I think in my opinion Australia generally offers a better outdoor lifestyle than the UK.

Thanks again guys for all your views. It is useful for other people to be able to pick bits out of them that would be most suited to their own lifestyle.

X

Youve got in one. Your doing your research to question if its the best move for you.

you will know your own limitations, for some some getting to Oz, no matter, where, thats the aim. No thought required!!

Horses for courses really, if you are going to be at work all day, then you've only evenings and weekends to worry about.

Good luck with it all, it is worth putting in the research, can make all the difference.

Thanks Fifi. When I was 21 I would have just jumped on a plane and played by ear but now with kiddies in school, house etc there is much more at stake and I know I have a good life here too. That is why I ask more silly questions than most....I like to think about everything and keep questionning stuff. Luckily u generous PIOers are happy to keep discussing it too :wink:

Youve got in one. Your doing your research to question if its the best move for you.

you will know your own limitations, for some some getting to Oz, no matter, where, thats the aim. No thought required!!

Horses for courses really, if you are going to be at work all day, then you've only evenings and weekends to worry about.

Good luck with it all, it is worth putting in the research, can make all the difference.

That's one of the things I thought we'd do more of, but we don't. The short evenings in the summer and mosquitos here work against it (there aren't tons, but there are enough to be annoying)

Quite disappointing tbh

Surprised, thought Sydney would be similar to Brisbane. We have the short evenings but just turn the lights on when eating later on the deck. Hardly ever have mossie issues but it seems that can come down to what area you live in a city sometimes. Shame you don't get to do it much as it is one of the pleasures sitting for family dinners outside. Often have family breakfast on the deck on the weekend as well.

Guest Ptp113

Soccer is very minor here so not really a problem. Here they have real football.

Archived