Wonder what your thoughts are guys.

surfandsea

Hi all you pommys

Me and my family are moving in Aug 2014 and have now chose where were going to live. But what are your thoughs?

would you live in the gold coast or sunshine coast.. pros and cons please. Ill be working in Brisbane so either is over an hr drive and i know this.

Let the debate start.

Hi all you pommys

Me and my family are moving in Aug 2014 and have now chose where were going to live. But what are your thoughs?

would you live in the gold coast or sunshine coast.. pros and cons please. Ill be working in Brisbane so either is over an hr drive and i know this.

Let the debate start.

Commute longer from the Sunny coast, they're both nice but different, Sunny coast is quieter/more unspoiled, GC more built up & busier. Depends what you want really but from someone who does the GC commute I wouldn't stretch to the Sunny coast one.

You really need to visit both & decide what suits you.

Guest BrisbaneBevan

We live in Paddington, just west of the CBD. Walkable to the city for work, and great after hours entertainment in Caxton Street, Given Terrace or a brief hop over the river to South Bank. No need for a car, bus routes and nearby train stops etc. Maybe a bit more pricey than the outer suburbs, but worth it. Best of both worlds, as you can easily reach Sunshine Coast or Gold Coast at the weekend. Three bedroom Queenslanders go for about $750-1000 a week. And smaller flats in the apartment blocks can be snagged for $500-750/wk. maybe some cheaper, but probably a bit rougher or older. (We pay $800 for a 3 bedroom townhouse, with a dip pool)

Sort of agree with Aussipom a daily commute from either coast can be a real pain and really adds a lot of time to your working week, also it can be a real long trip if any accidents, sunny coast I think is really too far to commute, I also sort of agree with BrisbaneBevan, and have a shorter daily commute giving you more quality time at home, and then visit the coasts on a weekend, though I don't think I would pay those sort of rents. We live in the Redlands on the bayside, not too many decent beaches as such there, but GC 45min, SC 1.15hr, City 45min plus ferry across to Straddie and other islands.

Cheers

Keith

I moved to the Redlands and would highly recommend. Perfect distance into the city and a beautiful, relaxed place to live. Excellent schools and a great area for children. Not a huge commute to the city (40mins), GC or SC and so much to offer within a 2hr driving radius. Raby Bay is a beautiful little spot, it is a harbour with bars and cafes in Cleveland. This is where the ferry leaves to go to North Stradbroke island (20minute ferry). Ormiston, Wellington Point and Redland Bay are lovely spots to live!

Everyone (naturally) likes the area they chose moved to and will promote that.

We visited the bayside but didn't really like it as much as the GC (which is only another 15 mins commute) and don't fancy living in Brisbane but of course lots of people do like those areas.

I'd happily live on the Sunny Coast but the extra travel is too much for me.

Each to their own, you won't really know until you visit and you have to put the miles in to do your own research.

Everyone (naturally) likes the area they chose moved to and will promote that.

We visited the bayside but didn't really like it as much as the GC (which is only another 15 mins commute) and don't fancy living in Brisbane but of course lots of people do like those areas.

I'd happily live on the Sunny Coast but the extra travel is too much for me.

Each to their own, you won't really know until you visit and you have to put the miles in to do your own research.

We love the Gold coast too, and regularly (yesterday) go down there, Sanctuary cove ( shame the brewery went and the pub on the wharf) did tempt us once as did many other areas too, but the travel would have stuffed it up for me, but quite happy where I am, central for my work in construction on sites north south or west, and weekend drives in the same directions.

Hi all you pommys

Let the debate start.

What's the address of the place you'll be working? Then just live on the same side of the river. And visit the other side once every couple of months or so.

Before you decide whether to live on the GC or SC, spend one week driving into town at 6:30 am , then back out at 4:30 pm. Then you'll have a much better picture about whether you would like to do this indefinitely.

When people say "it's an hours drive to Brisbane", this would only be true if you were actually moving. An hours drive round Somerset Dam on a Sunday can be quite relaxing. But driving at peak time in Brisbane is a real pain. The theoretical hour can quickly turn into 2 hours. What employer tolerates you starting an hour late? So you have to start off 1/2 hour before you really intended.

Inner north all the way! I would try these commutes before you commit to an area. Both would be stinkers. Sunny coast in particular, would be living in the car not at the beach

we are moving to Caloundra south sunny. it was a toss uo between there or Burleigh heads. they both seem the same kind of distance to brissy. Also im a c.arpenter

Caloundra and Burleigh are both very nice. Visited both multiple times, but that commute is likely to be a couple of hours each way in rush hour. I personally couldn't do it.

I'm with lastonealive. Both nice places to live, good deals in the surf clubs for meals and if you have kids I would recommend joining one of them. The commute if you're working in Bris on a daily basis would be too much though. I would prefer to live in Bris if your going to be based there. It's a nice City, plenty to do and see, South Bank is lovely. Weekend trips for the beach would be nice then. I reckon they would be a chore if you were doing the same drive every day.

we are moving to Caloundra south sunny. it was a toss uo between there or Burleigh heads. they both seem the same kind of distance to brissy. Also im a c.arpenter

Well, first off, Caloundra is very nice.

But if you think it represents any kind of compromise for travelling vs beach living, I think you're in for a shock.

My advice would be to rent there for a while til you appreciate how bad Brisbane's traffic can be. I drive north on the Bruce in the morning, against the flow of traffic. Today, from where I got on to where I got off (about 9km) it was bumper to bumper on the other carriageway. Every third vehicle is a tradies ute.

Well, first off, Caloundra is very nice.

But if you think it represents any kind of compromise for travelling vs beach living, I think you're in for a shock.

My advice would be to rent there for a while til you appreciate how bad Brisbane's traffic can be. I drive north on the Bruce in the morning, against the flow of traffic. Today, from where I got on to where I got off (about 9km) it was bumper to bumper on the other carriageway. Every third vehicle is a tradies ute.

Agreed, as someone who's done Hope Island to Bris every day for 3 years (and it is a pain) I can't imagine doing Caloundra or Burleigh, the extra travel time would do me in, don't imagine you can beat rush hour either, that's what everyone else is trying to do.

My thoughts are if you are a chippie your work would be in the suburbs around brisbane , not the cbd. If you decide on sunny coast look for work closer to there. Plenty going on around burpangary, caboolture area, northlakes, narangba and most them areas on way to brissie. I'm at burpangary working for next few weeks doing a retirement village as the builder is a old mate and he couldn't find anyone to do the work up that way, so I've helped him out.I'm on the southside .

If you decide the Gold Coast , then you miss the peak of the traffic by using the Logan motorway . Likewise with the Gold Coast, plenty of work happening now around the goldy and way up to brissie. Your coming over at a good time getting busy and money is looking better. I can't see much of your work being around the city , unless your are doing commercial work, the residential work you could just find closer to home.

Thankyou Ausborn. Ive put brissy down for work as a worst case,but hearing there is work south of the sunshine coast has sparked me with confidance great news. I dont mind travelling 90mins to and from work but if there is nearer work GREAT. Im really happy about this post. I have heard that west caloundra are building pretty much a new city too. what is your best advise for a new pommy looking for work??

If your coming over and going to be a contractor getting you own work. Just ring the building companies and speak to their office staff and ask for supervisors phone numbers in the area you are looking . Ring the supervisors and say your looking for work. If your looking to work for someone just drive around and stop on site wherever you see building going on. Today's paper had jobs for chippies. My mates( 2 of them ) have been advertising for brickies and getting no replys. Most here are getting real busy again. Had been bit slower for last few years but sales are going crazy. One of my builders is a private builder, usually just did 2 houses a month, he's now got 14 houses on the go. I been doing it years in brissie, it's coming into a busy time again. Joys of being a tradie though is we have to travel. Private builders pay a lot better than your project builders. Project builders are usually easy to pick up work with though.

Thankyou Ausborn. Ive put brissy down for work as a worst case,but hearing there is work south of the sunshine coast has sparked me with confidance great news. I dont mind travelling 90mins to and from work but if there is nearer work GREAT. Im really happy about this post. I have heard that west caloundra are building pretty much a new city too. what is your best advise for a new pommy looking for work??

If you don't have to travel to Bris for work and you could get something near Caloundra it would be a great place to live.

Archived