Shipping wine

Metoo

Has anybody shipped wine into Australia with their household effects.

We have 12 bottles of very expensive wine which we would like to bring with us. We have heard that tax is extortionate on wine. Has anybody had experience of this please.

Thanks

You can ship it, but charges will apply. I did a couple of minutes digging and turned up these links.

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/AlcoholandTobaccoFactSheet.pdf

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resources/files/PersonalBelongingsFactSheetDEC2011WEB.pdf

Note the - Duty, GST and/or Wine Equalisation Tax (WET) is payable if your UPEs include:

• wine, beer, spirits or other alcoholic beverages, and/or....

Also - http://www.customs.gov.au/faq/DutyGST.asp There is a calculation table at the bottom.

Wine equalisation tax (WET)

WET applies to the following alcoholic beverages:

• grape wine, including sparkling wine and fortified wine

• grape wine products such as marsala, vermouth, wine cocktails and creams

• other fruit wines and vegetable wines, including fortified fruit wines and vegetable wines

• cider (from apples) and perry (from pears), and

• mead and sake, including fortified mead.

WET for imported wine is calculated as:

• 29% of the purchase price at inwards duty free

OR for other importations:

• 29% of Customs value + Duty + International Transport and Insurance.

I am not sure what applies to you in all that. You can figure it out I am sure. If its really worth it to you, bring it and expect to pay. If not, enjoy drinking it before you leave.

Thanks guys for your coments.

we can't drink it as its worth up to $600 per bottle. It is very expensive collectable wine it's called Penfolds Grange

See here

http://www.cadmanfinewines.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=Penfolds+grange&Go=%A0

Duty was already paid on it when purchased in Australia before being shipped to UK. Now we want to take it back.

We have 12 bottles in original wooden crates (2 crates of 6)

Grange is good, what year do you have? Ive got an aunt in Sussex, she comes down to oz a bit.. at least once a year. Make you a deal, I get her to slowly bring some bottles for you (you get a 2l duty free allowance) and before long you have your collection... :biggrin: just make sure you share one with me and tonyman one day :cool:

...oh and btw you ll have to come over to perth to collect..

The 98s are a good year, should be fine to keep until 2025 ish (hopefully there will still be some edible fish in the ocean then!)

I was fortunately to get some 1994 and 1996 Bin 389 and 407. Still cellaring... Hope Ive planted some ideas for you .. :biggrin:

We have loads of wine as bf works for wine company (penfolds being one of his) so we've decided to drink what we have ha ha and give rest away as I'm sure when we reach oz we will build up our collection again! The grange is as you say very expensive so probably worth looking into shipping back!

Do consider during shipping, if it goes in a standard container it may experience a vast range of environmental conditions and dynamic forces some of which could destroy the wine. Travelling through the Indian Ocean in summer could see it experiencing 50*c+

Also do you have the original receipts showing duty paid when purchased and the record of export/import?

Thanks CaptainR,

we don't have original receipts as it twelve years ago. You have made some good points regarding shipping conditions, high temperatures etc and have decided to bring it with us in our suit cases as this seems the safest option. Gee made a good point about duty free allowances. We will declare it at customs and pay the excess duty as required. Would be a shame to spoil it after all these years.

Thanks for your help

Get it drunk Metoo ;)

Ha ha, got loads of ordinary booze to drink in the mean time Adonna. I am downing a bottle of Blossom Hill as I type. Got 3 bottles of vodka to sink, a bottle of bacardi and a bottle of pims, not to mention the shed load of beer and all the assorted bottles we have brought back from our holls and never got around to drinking. Cheers ......... hick

My husband suggested selling it in the UK and buying again once in Aus. Maybe not exactly the same vintage but re investing.

Guest guest30085
Ha ha, got loads of ordinary booze to drink in the mean time Adonna. I am downing a bottle of Blossom Hill as I type. Got 3 bottles of vodka to sink, a bottle of bacardi and a bottle of pims, not to mention the shed load of beer and all the assorted bottles we have brought back from our holls and never got around to drinking. Cheers ......... hick

Send it my way if you're struggling ;)

Archived