The hidden suffering of crossbred dogs.

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

Over the past five years, a canine revolution has been seen in Britain’s parks, streets and gardens.

Along with familiar dog breeds — the Labradors, spaniels and retrievers — dozens of new cross-breeds have appeared, from Chorkies (a Chihuahua and Yorkshire terrier mix) to Maltipoos (Maltese and poodle) and muggins (miniature pinscher and pug).

Britain’s dog-lovers have been buying the new cross-breeds in their droves, spending up to £2,000 to secure the rarest, most bizarre mixes.

They’ve been wooed by their cute names, by celebrity endorsements, and by the dangerous myth that cross-breeds are somehow healthier and more robust than pedigree dogs.

The cross-breeds’ popularity has been boosted further by the notion that they are ‘hypoallergenic’ and won’t trigger reactions in people who are usually allergic to dogs.

Only now is the tragic truth beginning to emerge. Far from being resilient to disease, many of these cross-breeds are, in fact, far more vulnerable to agonising illness and infection than pedigree dogs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23251[/ATTACH]

It's not just Britain the practice is a worldwide thing.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2564373/The-hidden-suffering-dogs-bred-cute-Adorable-looks-Cuddly-names-like-Labradoodle-But-trend-cross-breed-dogs-raises-disturbing-questions.html

If it's just in the last five years in Britain, then Australia must have been at the forefront of this particular craze. I remember when we arrived ten years ago being surprised for how much people wanted for what I'd call a mutt, but they called a designer cross. What i never understood though is how you could be sure you'd get a labradoodle (with I guess the non-shedding coat of a poodle and the nature of a lab) and not a poobrador (with the nature of a poodle and the constantly shedding fur of a lab)?

What i never understood though is how you could be sure you'd get a labradoodle (with I guess the non-shedding coat of a poodle and the nature of a lab) and not a poobrador (with the nature of a poodle and the constantly shedding fur of a lab)?

Does it not depend which one is the dog / bitch (like ligers and tigons)

would love to own a jackschitzu!

Guest Guest66881

Jack staff terriers are lovely, but the whole inbreeding thing goes right back to the original pedigree introductions, to standardise you have to inbreed to breed out the negatives:eek:

I have a mini Australian Labradoodle purchased at a high cost from a 'recognised' breeder (approx $2k). He's a third generation from lab x poodle..x poodle...x poodle I think and he's the sweetest dog ever. He doesn't shed, don't drool, was house trained completely in 2 weeks. He's the ONLY pet I've ever owned that I can cuddle and let sleep on my bed that I don't get an allergic reaction to. Finally I can enjoy having a pet! For all you guys out there who don't have an allergy problem you don't know how lucky you are. For me - I'm so glad someone did invent them as he's brought so much happiness to our household. I also know of them being trained as guide dogs for allergy sufferers so surely there is some good in this 'designer' dog craze, as you put it.

Personally I would have loved to take a mutt from the pound but the risk was too great - what if I'd had to return him?

I have a mini Australian Labradoodle purchased at a high cost from a 'recognised' breeder (approx $2k). He's a third generation from lab x poodle..x poodle...x poodle I think and he's the sweetest dog ever. He doesn't shed, don't drool, was house trained completely in 2 weeks. He's the ONLY pet I've ever owned that I can cuddle and let sleep on my bed that I don't get an allergic reaction to. Finally I can enjoy having a pet! For all you guys out there who don't have an allergy problem you don't know how lucky you are. For me - I'm so glad someone did invent them as he's brought so much happiness to our household. I also know of them being trained as guide dogs for allergy sufferers so surely there is some good in this 'designer' dog craze, as you put it.

Personally I would have loved to take a mutt from the pound but the risk was too great - what if I'd had to return him?

There is no true hypoallergenic dog. It's a myth. Sure those with hair not fur are better, but all dogs shed dander, some more than others. And everyone reacts differently.

Just happened your dog doesn't cause you to react or you've built up a tolerance. You could just have easily spent the $2,000 and suffered an allergic reaction. Happens to lots of people and their expensive cross breed goes back to the breeder or is handed over a pound or rescue as they don't want it/can't keep it anymore.

My mum got a puppy that was a cross breed, a Jack Russell and a Yorkie. I told her not to get one but she wouldn't listen. She had a lot of problems with him - skin problems mostly.. Was scratching a lot and he was starting to lose some hair. He's a lot better now but he was never away from the vets. Her last dog was a pedigree Scottish terrier and he was hardly ever at the vets.

Errr...'crossbreds' are not new; all breeds have been crossed at some point in time. An example, the 'british bulldog'.

http://www.bulldoginformation.com/english-bulldog-history.html

one of the most useless of all 'manufactured' dogs...Can quite see why Britain uses it as an emblem, it's useless, it's lazy and farts all day and night. :wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Errr...'crossbreds' are not new; all breeds have been crossed at some point in time. An example, the 'british bulldog'.

one of the most useless of all 'manufactured' dogs...Can quite see why Britain uses it as an emblem, it's useless, it's lazy and farts all day and night. :wink:

Cheers, Bobj.

Aww don't slag the British bulldog lol I love them!

Cheers, Bobj.

I believe they often need a c section as the head is so large. Many purebreds have problems.

I think this article is taking real issues with puppy farms, and using that to have a go at cross breeds. Increasing the gene pool is generally a good thing. Yes, you could compound problems, but anyone who knows anything about genetics will know the chances of this will be reduced.

Cross bred dogs are healthier because the gene pool is greater.

There are lots of problems with pure bred dogs, hip dysplasia, and other genetic defects that could be bred out of the lineage if people were not so adamant as to how a dog should look and not perform.

Puppy farms can have a very shallow gene pool (much the same as Liverpool in England) and often the genetics available cause problems with the dogs.

I have a Aussie Doodle, Australian Shepard crossed with a poodle. He is fit and healthy, he had a cough once that's it. So his health record is better than mine to be honest and we are about the same age if you count "dog years".

And no he is not hypoallergenic, we were told he would be. But we find that he hardly sheds, never has that "doggy" smell!

I am badly allergic to dogs though! If a pit bull licks my hand I get a weird kind of rash that makes my skin look like ET's when he got sick that only antibiotics can get rid of. Most dogs give me sneezes and a rash, my eyes water blah blah blah.

My little fella is just great, none of these symptoms, I would get the snuffles after a week in England if it rained all week and we didn't go for a walk, but that is it. He gets a walk every day and we are fine.

I wonder sometimes who gets the most benefit from the walk, me or him? Still it keeps us both fit and healthy eh.

I was amazed to hear when looking into getting another Great Dane that the particular breeder we were looking at actually imports their sperm from America to ensure the blood lines aren't too pure. We gave up in the end as the waiting list in WA was too long and I didn't want to ship a small puppy from the East Coast as I didn't think it was fair. We ended up with a Sharpei /Staffy cross who is actually too tall for both breeds but is the best behaved best natured boy we've ever had and he cost 300 bucks!

Agree, puppy farm dogs are often a smaller gene pool but also inferior breed type to begin with and often suffering terrible health conditions etc that will lead to lifelong problems for pups born.

I don't get most of these fancy x breeds tbh. For example, as has been pointed out, if a dog is 7/8ths poodle why not just get a poodle? They are (the standard) the most intelligent breed and great dogs. I think they are stunning and we've had one ourselves many years ago.

A friend has a schnauzer crossed with another breed for allergy reasons. Paid a fortune for the dog, more than either pure bred would have cost. Alas turns out they are still allergic but didn't want to part with the dog. Fair play to them. They have had endless health problems with the dog too.

End of the day, they are crossbreeds and while lovely, I think it's more important to work on fixing the line problems in each specific breed first (as is being done now with new KC rules and type etc these days) before crossing them out with other breeds that also have hereditary problems.

I don't get most of these fancy x breeds tbh. For example, as has been pointed out, if a dog is 7/8ths poodle why not just get a poodle? They are (the standard) the most intelligent breed and great dogs. I think they are stunning and we've had one ourselves many years ago.

Because I am a man and I don't want to walk around with a poodle, as they are girls dogs aren't they! Well that was my theory when we brought our little fella. If we got another dog I would probably just buy a standard poodle, he would look basically the same as my best friend and be a great dog.

Guess that your attitudes can change over time, eh

Because I am a man and I don't want to walk around with a poodle, as they are girls dogs aren't they! Well that was my theory when we brought our little fella. If we got another dog I would probably just buy a standard poodle, he would look basically the same as my best friend and be a great dog.

Guess that your attitudes can change over time, eh

Thats the thing, people often don't see beyond looks, even with dog breeds. Stereotyping at its finest :sad: Its very superficial and such a shame. You hear of guys saying they don't want to be seen walking the 'handbag' pooches or some such. So often people get the wrong type of dog and it usually doesn't end well for the dog. I have seen it time and again in dog rescue. Big bull breeds gotten but then not able to control 10 stone plus of dog. Husky kept as a family pet but only walked for an hour a day. Given the breed is bred to run 8 hours a day and is a true pack dog, solitude and lack of exercise often mean this breed fails as a family pet. Collies, still a working dog, kept confined in small back yards or again, only walked for a short time when they need to not only be exercised but kept mentally active. And people wonder when they call up and say their collie spends hours chasing its own tail in the sitting room :(

This is 100 years of breed 'improvement'

http://dogbehaviorscience.wordpress.com/2012/09/29/100-years-of-breed-improvement/

I hope for the likes of bulldogs, GSD and many other breeds we can slowly get back to more natural looking dogs rather than those bred for excessive facial folds, wider shoulders, lower back ends and so on. Any breed requring a C section as pretty much standard to be able to give birth is also a concern for me. Its usually the case more often than not for all those brach breeds with big heads like bulldogs, pugs and Frenchies. The dogs didn't breed themselves to do that inside of 100 years. We did. Humans have a lot to answer for.

I think poodles suffer the same sort of thing with many people in general, because of their coat and often how its kept, they may not be as appealing as a fluffball x breed that is basically the same underneath the coat, just its fluffy and cuddly and cute on top but is still pretty much a poodle when you look at the breeding. Keep a poodle coat clipped short it looks stunning and a real eye catcher. Not all of them need to run around looking like some kind of hairdressing try out gone wrong. If you ever have another dog and opt for a standard poodle, you'll have one of the best dogs out there IMHO. Intelligent dogs, really lovely.

Don't even get me started on the people who dye their dogs bright pink or blue or some such.

In dog rescue the most common dog breeds we got in for rehome were staffy or staffy x's, husky type, collies and bull breeds. Many of these would be dumped and picked up as strays, not handed in. So often were in line to be PTS within 7 days if no one claimed. Given that rescuse are already overflowing, taking on more of these types is hard as there are not the people coming forward wanting them or if they are, not in a decent position to have the breed and meet its needs.

We would also get in a lot of the cute (supposedly) hypoallergenic types of dogs, the smaller toy type breeds, from puppy farms. Bitches who had had too many litters to count in their short lives, purpose outlived so dumped en masse somewhere on a hill in Wales or some such. Usually with some ailment needing a lot of treatment or simply traumatised being in the outside world. Oddly, not many other breeds from puppy farms. They certainly know which market to cater to and who pays up for what. More money in cute (supposedly) hypoallergenic dogs than in staffys.

Forgot to say, I get the whole we started it when we came up with pedigree dogs and specific breeding way back when, but there is taking it too far.

We had a miniature poodle, and also got an English setter pup when the poodle was about five years old. The poodle was very dominant, but not only to the setter. On more than one occasion she would take off after a big dog and bring them down. Damned embarrassing when she brought down a big German Shepard. It got to the point where you couldn't let her off the lead if there were big dogs around. Certainly wasn't a whoosy dog.

If you study the history of all dogs, they are all mongrels at heart. Every breed has a bit of this and a bit of that in them to make them the pedigrees they are today. Supposedly some of the purest line are the husky breeds still used as working dogs in their country of origin.

No matter what type of breeding you do, if the parents are poorly bred or genetically not sound then this will pass onto their puppies. Hence why BYB and puppy farms tend to breed sickly, unhealthy poor specimens. Their breeding stock is horrendous and most likely inbred to begin with.i just can't believe people are stupid enough to pay so much money for a mongrel!! 20 years ago before people really spayed or neutered nearly every dog around was a mongrel. Only the people with money to spare had Pedigrees.

One of our little uns is a rescued Irish puppy farm Chorkie, he is perfectly healthy apart from the odd Trachia cough (which is fixed with a rub to the throat). He is 5 now and touch wood he stays that way :-)

I was researching adding a Great Dane to the family, and came across an advert for Puggles. Yes very cute but $1500 dollars....for a mongrel!! I couldn't believe we're only going to be an extra thousand bucks for a registered Great Dane from a reputable breeder with a great breeding history!!

You never know though in 30 years time the Cockapoo might be Crufts best in show!!

Archived