visa189 needs another visa after 5 years?

Guest nastasia

Guest nastasia

Hello, on immigration website it says that after 5 years a 189 visa holder needs to apply for a returin resident visa or another visa to leave/enter australia. My question is: Isn't the 189 visa a visa where one can stay anywhere in australia indefinitely ? Can somebody clarify me doubts? Thanks

Yes and yes.

You can stay in Australia indefinitely. If you never leave then you never need another visa. The issue comes if you want to leave the country and come back. Then you need a return residence visa.

So you mean if you go back to uk for 3 weeks holiday you will have to apply for a returning resident visa. I don't understand.

Hello, on immigration website it says that after 5 years a 189 visa holder needs to apply for a returin resident visa or another visa to leave/enter australia. My question is: Isn't the 189 visa a visa where one can stay anywhere in australia indefinitely ? Can somebody clarify me doubts? Thanks

The Permanent Residency visa is valid indefinitely if you remain in Australia. The travel facility associated with the visa is valid for 5 years and requires renewal.

So you mean if you go back to uk for 3 weeks holiday you will have to apply for a returning resident visa. I don't understand.

Your original visa allows you to come and go for five years.

Once that five years is up, if you want to leave the country for any period of time and come back again you need a resident return visa.

Or you can become a citizen (if you're eligible) and then you'll never need another visa.

This happened to someone I know- He had the PR but never lived in Australia for more than a year. Towards the expiry date of his PR, he mvoed back to Aus, got a job, bought a house and got a RRV for another 5 years. Not sure what happens after that. i have heard it has become difficult and rightly so. Best thing would be to become a citizen.

Guest nastasia

So how long before we can apply for citizenship? Some people say after 2 years stay and some say 3 years stay in australia. How long is the process once we apply for citizenship?

Guest nastasia

We have 5years where we can exit/enter australia with visa 189. Does the 5years start as soon as we get the visa or from the date of first landing in australia?

So how long before we can apply for citizenship? Some people say after 2 years stay and some say 3 years stay in australia. How long is the process once we apply for citizenship?

You have to have lived in Australia for four years with at least the last year being as pr.

The process can take months.

For general eligibility you should be in Australia on a valid visa for 4 years or more, and be at least permanent resident for 12 months before you can apply. Few remarks, so full details here.

• 4 months later...

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help with this question: if someone who is a teacher has a 189 granted and can't secure full employment, can they do some other job in the meantime e.g. an admin job or some job as a gap filler - is that permitted on a 189 visa?

thanks

Hi

Just wondering if anyone can help with this question: if someone who is a teacher has a 189 granted and can't secure full employment, can they do some other job in the meantime e.g. an admin job or some job as a gap filler - is that permitted on a 189 visa?

thanks

Yup you can do any job you like with 189 visa!

Archived