Britains getting a bashing

Guest Guest66881

Not read the thread but my dad's just told me half the country is underwater and it's biblical proportions...is he exaggerating?

Not really, where it's bad it's really bad and it's very wide spread. Storm damage to contend with too now. It's amazing there haven't been more fatalities.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am going to be a horrible person, however cannot help having a snigger that the wonderful south is getting the battering, the people who think the northern parts are another world never to be considered :wink:

Really?

What a flippant comment to make! I can understand in 'jest' the North/South thing but seriously ....

doesnt matter where in the UK or World these natural disasters occur surely you would have some empathy with the people who have lost everything they have worked so hard for!

I wouldn't usually bother to get involved in *** for tat on a thread, but I found your comment really hurtful.

Not read the thread but my dad's just told me half the country is underwater and it's biblical proportions...is he exaggerating?

He is. It's miniscule compared to the Qld flooding but they do like to exaggerate somewhat

Guest Guest16631

.....I really don't think petals meant to be cruel at all.......

.....it's so easy to sometimes make a comment only ourselves see the context of...

......she is a kind and helpful lady

......and to be cruel and flippant is totally out of character.....

......I think it's one of those comments that is not really to do with the op

......I am sure she is as devastated as everyone else by the atrocious conditions experienced by so many.........

I saw a thing saying it might be dangerous to even be in the water because of sewage - diseases etc. Horrible

Thats right Stacey, there are 3 categories of floodwater, the third, and worse, is Black Water which contains the most contaminants. That's why everything on the ground floor had to go in a skip when my house flooded!

http://www.floodsense.co.uk/~flood-water-contamination

.....it's so easy to sometimes make a comment only ourselves see the context of...

......I am sure she is as devastated as everyone else by the atrocious conditions experienced by so many.........

I agree fwiw,i can understand people being upset by what Petals said,but i think her comments might have been directed at a cpl of posters from the South who constantly take the p7ss out of the North and it's weather,i dont "know" that obviously,im just assuming,which isn't always accurate,but im sure she doesn't take any pleasure in whats happening

Fwiw i think the same as everyone else.must be woeful seeing your house flooded,water full of disease and effluence etc,doesn't bare thinking about,really sorry for those affected,must be scarey for the kids too,what i found absolutely disgusting was the "helpline" ,ran by a "private" company (of course),was originally a premium rate line,and thats a disgrace,anyway,here's hoping the rain dies off now

I agree fwiw,i can understand people being upset by what Petals said,but i think her comments might have been directed at a cpl of posters from the South who constantly take the p7ss out of the North and it's weather,i dont "know" that obviously,im just assuming,which isn't always accurate,but im sure she doesn't take any pleasure in whats happening

Fwiw i think the same as everyone else.must be woeful seeing your house flooded,water full of disease and effluence etc,doesn't bare thinking about,really sorry for those affected,must be scarey for the kids too,what i found absolutely disgusting was the "helpline" ,ran by a "private" company (of course),was originally a premium rate line,and thats a disgrace,anyway,here's hoping the rain dies off now

Quite amazingly having only found out a couple of hours ago the guy who died on the cruise ship was my nephews girlfriends grandfather, i did not know him but obviously know the grand daughter very well as she has been with my nephew for 4 years, needless to say they are absolutely devastated but it just goes to show that like the lady in the car in London you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Quite amazingly having only found out a couple of hours ago the guy who died on the cruise ship was my nephews girlfriends grandfather, i did not know him but obviously know the grand daughter very well as she has been with my nephew for 4 years, needless to say they are absolutely devastated but it just goes to show that like the lady in the car in London you just have to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I was only reading about that on Newsnow a bit ago,i found it surprising that an ocean going Liner has glass that can be smashed by waves tbh,i know nature is hard to hold off,but surely in this day and age?

Fate is strange,sad and devastating at times isnt it?

Sort of reminds me of a lad my ex bricky partner worked with,walking across a muddy site one day,the dumper was stuck in the mud,lads packed bricks under the back wheel to try and give it some hard standing,the dumper driver was giving it loads of revs to get out the mud,a half brick spun up from the wheel,hit the kid on the temple and he died,the poor bas7ard,life's scarey sometimes eh

thats what surprised me, I've always found petals posts to be very constructive and helpful. I just abhor this North/South thing. Fwiw I'd feel just as peeved if someone had found it amusing when Northern Town & Cities are in the midst of floods etc...

I was only reading about that on Newsnow a bit ago,i found it surprising that an ocean going Liner has glass that can be smashed by waves tbh,i know nature is hard to hold off,but surely in this day and age?

Fate is strange,sad and devastating at times isnt it?

Sort of reminds me of a lad my ex bricky partner worked with,walking across a muddy site one day,the dumper was stuck in the mud,lads packed bricks under the back wheel to try and give it some hard standing,the dumper driver was giving it loads of revs to get out the mud,a half brick spun up from the wheel,hit the kid on the temple and he died,the poor bas7ard,life's scarey sometimes eh

Absolutley, its an ocean liner!! How the hell the the window smash?

It's been pretty nasty. I have never known so many places, and so many of my friends, on flood alert/being flooded.

More of my friends today without power for almost 24hours.

Our tenant has lost 3 fence panels, could have been a lot worse.

People have lost treasured possessions, their homes, and some their lives. And things won't be fixed quickly or cheaply. Some can't be fixed at all.

Guest Guest40285

I never ever understood all that macho North South crap either, I copped heaps of it at school from people that moved south, we are all in the main British, cant we just get along, bit of banter is alright for sure but the rest is a big w@*K IMHO

Guest The Pom Queen
Oooh, is that comment not worthy of an infraction coming from a Mod?

Why? Just because Petals is a mod doesn't mean she can't post on the forum as herself, that's like saying if I don't agree with her views I should stand her down as a mod, why? Mods are members and are entitled to have their own personal opinion on matters. I agree with Tink and Pablo I think this was aimed at the members on here who constantly abuse our Northern members. I am sure Petals has as much sympathy as the rest of us about what's going on, no matter where its happening.

Guest The Pom Queen

This thread has had more posts deleted than any other at the moment. Surely we should all be working together to support our dear members who are going through this tragic time, not using the thread to point score and fill it with personal attacks.

Now please lets get back on topic.

Why do you all get so upset I was just making an off the cuff remark born from years of reading north and south comments on the forum, the north being the ones that seem to suffer the most derision.

Of course I. and I am sure everyone else feels very sorry for anyone whose house is flooded and it should not be taken lightly.

However the poor people in the levels seem to have had the worst of it and its only been since the Thames came into play that the government is doing something about the flooding for them as well.

I am a moderator but I can have opinions, and I try not to play the person.

Try not to take ones bad day out on the discussion.

Why do you all get so upset I was just making an off the cuff remark born from years of reading north and south comments on the forum, the north being the ones that seem to suffer the most derision.

Of course I. and I am sure everyone else feels very sorry for anyone whose house is flooded and it should not be taken lightly.

However the poor people in the levels seem to have had the worst of it and its only been since the Thames came into play that the government is doing something about the flooding for them as well.

I am a moderator but I can have opinions, and I try not to play the person.

Try not to take ones bad day out on the discussion.

This may be the case if you have been getting the news from Australia but the Somerset flooding received plenty of national coverage beforehand and pumping had been ongoing for a week or two before the floods in the Thames Valley got much of a mention really even though those of us who live locally could see that homes were already flooded around here.

There are homes in Somerset and around Thames which suffer floods quite regularly unfortunately so it makes only local news for a while. It is only when it is a widespread disaster that it makes headlines nationally and internationally. This may lead many outside the local area to think that it only became news when the south east was flooded. Not at all. There have been homes flooded since before Xmas in the south east and I bet you never knew.

I guess many will always have prejudices no matter what but in this instance people are making assumptions based on incomplete information.

yes he is HH ....WILDLY IAM AFRAID , with all due respect to your dad ......its not good for those involved , I cant give too much detail , but I do know what iam talking about .....the midlands stoke to Hereford is largely unscathed ...a few claims in Hereford , but the next county down Gloucestershire that's a different story ....the flood barriers at bewdley and upton on severn have done their job , but the main hit will be along in a couple of days when it comes off the welsh mountains

• 1 month later...

Archived