WA still topping other states

Guest guest30085
Better be close to a good school and not more than an hour from the city then..:laugh:

With a pub on the doorstep that sells real ale for $40 a pint, bargain!! And also close to a good garden centre as Pabs likes his plants ...

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
IMO then no you can't get a house for under $450k with an above average school within an hours commute of the City. However, you couldn't 9 years ago either. I think it's your delivery rather than your content that irks people the most. Many people think they can come here and replicate what they had in the UK and when it doesn't happen because they clearly didn't research enough then suddenly it's the fault of the destination rather than the fault of the person. IMO of course.

Thank you for your honest answer. HH would not answer that despite despite telling people this is paradise and that we can all come from the UK and live in a great area where we have good schooling for our kids on the avg wage. I am merely stating to people the facts and 9 years ago you could as property has increased massively in his period so stop talking nonsense please. In the last 10 years Perth property has hugely increased in price> I will post a graph to show people the the facts

http://reiwa.com.au/research/pages/perth-house-price-chart.aspx. Some people really have to stop accusing people of being Perth haters and accept that it is acceptable to say negatives about a place and if you want to disagree post facts not fiction.................. Yet again in this thread I have asked the mob to back up facts and been presented with lies and people refusing to answer arguments they cant win.

Thank you for your honest answer. HH would not answer that despite despite telling people this is paradise and that we can all come from the UK and live in a great area where we have good schooling for our kids on the avg wage. I am merely stating to people the facts and 9 years ago you could as property has increased massively in his period so stop talking nonsense please. In the last 10 years Perth property has hugely increased in price> I will post a graph to show people the the facts

http://reiwa.com.au/research/pages/perth-house-price-chart.aspx

I live in what is considered a reasonable suburb. I bought my house 8 years ago for $550k. It's now worth $650k. I wouldn't consider that a massive increase. Some suburbs have but not all. Between 2001 and 2010 my UK house increased from 145k GBP to 285GBP. Now that's a massive increase.

I live in what is considered a reasonable suburb. I bought my house 8 years ago for $550k. It's now worth $650k. I wouldn't consider that a massive increase. Some suburbs have but not all. Between 2001 and 2010 my UK house increased from 145k GBP to 285GBP. Now that's a massive increase.

I dont know where you live but you just admitted a 20% increase that still makes a mockery of your statement and the graph shows 100% increase which is probably down to the affordable places increasing most. What if you changed tyour Uk figures to between 2008 and 2014?

I dont know where you live but you just admitted a 20% increase that still makes a mockery of your statement and the graph shows 100% increase which is probably down to the affordable places increasing most. What if you changed tyour Uk figures to between 2008 and 2014?

I live in a suburb that you would consider ****. My UK house is probably worth about 20K GBP less now than 2010. I might add that I bought the house in 1999 for 102k GBP. It's not like you didn't know how high the prices were when you came here. It sounds like you gave up a decent life in the UK. Why on earth did you come knowing you wouldn't be able to replicate your quality of life. I know I wouldn't.

I live in a suburb that you would consider ****. My UK house is probably worth about 20Ky GBP less now than 2010. I might add that I bought the house in 1999 for 102k GBP. It's not like you didn't know how high the prices were when you came here. It sounds like you gave up a decent life in the UK. Why on earth did you come knowing you wouldn't be able to replicate your quality of life. I know I wouldn't.

I came here for something differant and was well aware that here i would be worse off as i am not finacially motivated. Like i say i am potsing the real truth to people backed up by facts and figures .

I came here for something differant and was well aware that here i would be worse off as i am not finacially motivated. Like i say i am potsing the real truth to people backed up by facts and figures .

I don't dispute what you say generally with regards to house prices here. I like where I live even thought my eldest goes to a below average school.

if you had bought a year earlier you would have only paid $400,000.

if you had bought a year earlier you would have only paid $400,000.

I know, we arrived in 2005 and rented for 12 months. We would have loved to have bought in the suburb we rented in but we just couldn't afford it. We thought we were going to have to end up in a new build soul-less suburb but bought the cheapest house in our suburb which basically was a shed! Oh well, what's the point in whinging. It is what it is. Accept or bugger off back to the motherland!

IMO then no you can't get a house for under $450k with an above average school within an hours commute of the City. However, you couldn't 9 years ago either. I think it's your delivery rather than your content that irks people the most. Many people think they can come here and replicate what they had in the UK and when it doesn't happen because they clearly didn't research enough then suddenly it's the fault of the destination rather than the fault of the person. IMO of course.

You probably could have nine years ago. People used to come to Perth to get much more than the UK. Now they get much less. The village I live in the UK is the equivalent of Wembley Downs. But I couldn't sell my house and buy a house in Wembley downs. Much of that is due to the exchange rate though, rather than property prices.

You probably could have nine years ago. People used to come to Perth to get much more than the UK. Now they get much less. The village I live in the UK is the equivalent of Wembley Downs. But I couldn't sell my house and buy a house in Wembley downs. Much of that is due to the exchange rate though, rather than property prices.

Our rental in Sorrento in 2005 was worth $600k. It was a craphole. Certainly could not have afforded Wembley Downs.

I know, we arrived in 2005 and rented for 12 months. We would have loved to have bought in the suburb we rented in but we just couldn't afford it. We thought we were going to have to end up in a new build soul-less suburb but bought the cheapest house in our suburb which basically was a shed! Oh well, what's the point in whinging. It is what it is. Accept or bugger off back to the motherland!
it's sods law the big rise was 2005/2006. Took off like a rocket. But that is Perth. It will do it again.

Prices have rocketed close to the city. Purchased 2000, price up 300%. Pretty hefty increase I'd say.

Not sure about this 'young folk fleeing to Melbourne' idea you have Flag. If you would have said London then I might have agreed with you.

All bar one of my friends have de-camped to the UK at some stage in their 20's for working visas and the opportunity to travel Europe whilst there. Some even stayed for a number of years before heading back to, yep you guessed it, good ole Perth. None ever fled to Melbourne because of greater opportunities or because Melbourne has more going on post-9pm.

In fact, I have a number of acquaintances from Victoria who moved over here to Perth because of greater work opportunities. Will they be here forever? Unlikely. Do they enjoy living here with what Perth has to offer? Hell yes. None of them are earning super high mining wages so are not slaves to the wage and stuck over here.

Flag, like it or not, Perth is no longer in the 1990's (I would guess you were a 20-something during this decade??). It has changed a hundred times for the better since then and will continue to do so. Time to get out there from behind your keyboard and start to enjoy the place (or move to Melbourne or Sydney!!).

I live among it and am in the city most days. Yes there have been changes and more en train. With regards to Melbourne, we hardly know anyone who hasn't lost kids to that city. Seven in total as we went through those that moved the other day. Two more have kids living overseas. All are in IT, Arts, Teaching. Don't know anyone in trades, so I fully expect that strata of society may well be moving/staying in Perth.

I also don't consider my 4 bed house on 700 sqm 23km south of the city, 3km from a station and 3 km from the beach a hole and we paid $420k 12 months ago. You just need to look harder.

Average price in perth Is 550 ( I think) so there must be something about your place that makes it 130000 under average price

That's some distance out though. I think no one claims living far out isn't cheapish.

Is 23 km far out though? I'll admit when we first moved from Subi it seemed like the end of the earth, but really it's 15 minutes on the train from the CBD and 15 minutes drive from Freo. In Subi our landlords wanted $565k for our damp run down 2 bed flat - too expensive for us at the time.

Average price in perth Is 550 ( I think) so there must be something about your place that makes it 130000 under average price

Misplaced reputation? Unknown suburb to most immigrants? No 'top' schools? I can't see it featuring in the top suburbs to live anytime soon, but for affordability, potential growth and 20 minutes to the CBD we think it was a good buy. The neighbours are nice and welcoming, no noise on a night, people say hello in the street and the gardens are well maintained.

Schooling might be be the thing letting it down - but year on year it's improving, and we don't have children so not a factor right now.

Guest Guest66881

12 months ago prices looked ok'ish compared to now, and that's just it they will always go up never down regardless of where you rest your hat.

Archived