De facto visa problems :(

staceykp

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His visa ends at the end of August and we will have been living together at the start of October for 12 months

We currently live in Western Australia

He is on his 1st year working holiday visa (we couldn't apply for his 2nd year as we found out i was having a baby and he didn't want to be away from me for 3 months)

Is it really that complicated? The Partner Migration booklet says that "The 12-month relationship requirement at time of application lodgement does not apply if you can establish that there are compelling and compassionate circumstances for the grant of the visa, such as you have children with your partner or cohabitation was not permissible under the law of the country where you resided for the 12 months before you applied [plus other examples of circumstances] If you feel that there are compelling and compassionate circumstances that may mean the 12-month requirement does not apply, you should provide a statement with your application that outlines and explains the reasons for your request.".

Here's a factsheet about it: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

It looks quite straightforward to me.

Is it really that complicated? The Partner Migration booklet says that "The 12-month relationship requirement at time of application lodgement does not apply if you can establish that there are compelling and compassionate circumstances for the grant of the visa, such as you have children with your partner or cohabitation was not permissible under the law of the country where you resided for the 12 months before you applied [plus other examples of circumstances] If you feel that there are compelling and compassionate circumstances that may mean the 12-month requirement does not apply, you should provide a statement with your application that outlines and explains the reasons for your request.".

Here's a factsheet about it: http://www.immi.gov.au/media/fact-sheets/35relationship.htm

It looks quite straightforward to me.

Good for you.

How many applications have you lodged where a de facto relationship has not subsisted for at least 12 months?

I think this application requires consideration about what supporting documentation is lodged, and when the application should best be submitted.

Best regards.

How many applications have you lodged where a de facto relationship has not subsisted for at least 12 months?

But using that logic you'd never have done it yourself, would you? There's always a first time.

I think this application requires consideration about what supporting documentation is lodged

As much as possible, as though 12 months had elapsed but with the information only for as many months as available. Plus a statement about the baby and a copy of the baby's birth certificate.

and when the application should best be submitted.

Um... If the baby is born in July and partner's visa expires in August, that would be pointing to July or August, woudn't it?

Do you reckon I could do this for a living?

> A mistake which many make is that having seen one application (their own) they think they can advise fully and competently on another person's situation.

> A second assertion - with which I take particular issue - is made by those who argue that because they have done their own visa application anyone else can.

It may well be that the OP can prepare and lodge her own application. However, a risk averse strategy includes at least having a discussion with a migration professional who can speak from the experience of having seen a number of applications of a similar type.

Best regards.

To be fair it does appear harder to get a defacto visa under 12 months cohabitation in wa compared to say qld or nsw as wa does not have the state relationship registration which circumvents the need for the 12 months proof of living together.

Good for you.

I think this application requires consideration about what supporting documentation is lodged, and when the application should best be submitted.

Best regards.

Wow. Note to self, don't use Go Matilda Visas.

Wow. Note to self, don't use Go Matilda Visas.

Alan is a highly regarded member on this forum - check out the number of posts he has made and the likes he has received.

Yes, he is an agent and yes he makes a living from giving advice.

No I have not used his services and I have no financial interest in posting this but he is giving an opinion for free which I think the OP should at least consider.

I am equally sure that he would not want to do business with you either.

I have seen how this can all go pear shaped first hand with my daughter's friend, she is Australian her partner at the time Brit, he got kicked out she had to live in UK to get their time in together in fact they actually got married in the UK then they had to get all the stat decs from friends etc to support their application. Funny thing is his mother, father, grandmother and two sisters are residents of Aus. Did not make any difference. Don't do it right, suffer the consequences.

He is advertising his business at the bottom. He isn't exactly working for free.

To the best of my knowledge, MA's who offer advice on PIO have to be upfront about the fact that they are agents, and add that fact at the bottom of their posts. If I am wrong then probably someone who knows better will contradict my post.

PIO is lucky that MA's give their help and advice as there can be miss information posted from time to time, even though not intentially.

my daughter's de facto application would have gone wrong were it not for an agents free advice here.

we didn't use Alan so this is an unbiased post.

Sorry was typing and didn't read Alan's post before posting

He is advertising his business at the bottom. He isn't exactly working for free.

Read my last post:

Yes, he is an agent and yes he makes a living from giving advice.

Alan does not get paid for anything he posts on here and he has also explained the rules re putting his details in his footer.

Yes, he may obtain business indirectly from being a member here but I imagine most of comes through recommendation.

If the OP decides not to engage an agent that is up to them.

Archived