Been told i am being scammed

malcoltom

Hi folks,

Just joined PomsInOz and would like all your expert advice. A bit long winded but we have about had enough.

We own and run our own hotel in the UK for 4 years. Me 57, wifey 48 and a 13 year old.

Contacted a migration company here in the UK and made basic enquiry as to visa qualification in wifes name due to age.

Was told "The Work & Live route is based on a 457 Work Permit which can lead to Permanent residency subject to the residency eligibility criteria being met".

and we would have to have a job offer as hotel/motel manager. You can apply for this.

Started the ball rolling and made our first payment to them so they commenced the CV prep etc.

In the meantime i have been making enquiries re my private pension transfer and removals etc and got in a conversation with a pensions expert. He said that as far as he knew, we DO NOT qualify for any kind of visa even with assets of approx £400k. He put me in touch with a visa expert who said the same. We would need to be mega business owners with assets of millions etc.

I then made basic visa enquiries with 2 other immigration companies and was told the same, we do not qualify.

I have gone back to the initial company and asked them if they were trying it on (never mix my words me) and they assure me that we can apply on the above route, 457.

Anyone have any knowledge on this before we have to pay more and end up getting ripped of. :arghh:

I thank you in advance.(and envy you)

Age would not preclude you from the 457 visa, but do you have a job offer? I wouldn't have paid anybody to do anything before having the job lined up. If you got the job offer, then in fact you would need the employer to sponsor you for a different visa because the 457 is a temporary visa and no it does not turn into a PR visa with the passage of time. You would need to get the company to sponsor for a permanent visa before age of 50 realistically. After age 50 it gets hard, you have to work for the employer for four years, earning over $130k each year. If you cannot meet that criteria then you will never get permanent residency.

So to sum up. Technically it is possible for you to get a visa and move to Australia, but in practice it would be extremely difficult. I don't think you have been lied to, but you have certainly been sold a dream. I would never trust or pay anyone that says give me money and I will find you a job. Don't pay them anything else.

Sorry, but I agree with Rupert as well. The 457 is a possible route, but it does mean you need the job offer first - those are hard enough to come by in this day and age, but it also needs to be with someone willing to sponsor an overseas migrant vs. simply hiring someone locally. And with your wife already 48, the age 50 milestone related to PR is looming (I know no woman likes to hear that but it's a critical milestone when it comes to migration).

• 2 weeks later...

We think we have found a job with a 457 sponsorship. Its a motel managers job as that is what we do here in the UK. The owner of the motel is willing to sponsor us as we have the qualifications he is looking for. Accommodation provided etc. Possible flying out next week for a meeting and to look at other possibilities. Is this the way to go.

We think we have found a job with a 457 sponsorship. Its a motel managers job as that is what we do here in the UK. The owner of the motel is willing to sponsor us as we have the qualifications he is looking for. Accommodation provided etc. Possible flying out next week for a meeting and to look at other possibilities. Is this the way to go.

Just be aware that the 457 is a temporary visa.

Will you sell your hotel or consider getting someone else to run it whilst you are away? Really important to consider all possibilities as the 457 does come with risks.

That depends on if you want to come for good or just a few years to then return. Obviously don't transfer pensions etc as you won't be able to retire in oz.

Personally I don't think I'd do it. What happens if you fall in love with the place and after your four years are up you don't want to leave?

Hi folks,

Just joined PomsInOz and would like all your expert advice. A bit long winded but we have about had enough.

We own and run our own hotel in the UK for 4 years. Me 57, wifey 48 and a 13 year old.

Contacted a migration company here in the UK and made basic enquiry as to visa qualification in wifes name due to age.

Was told "The Work & Live route is based on a 457 Work Permit which can lead to Permanent residency subject to the residency eligibility criteria being met".

and we would have to have a job offer as hotel/motel manager. You can apply for this.

Started the ball rolling and made our first payment to them so they commenced the CV prep etc.

In the meantime i have been making enquiries re my private pension transfer and removals etc and got in a conversation with a pensions expert. He said that as far as he knew, we DO NOT qualify for any kind of visa even with assets of approx £400k. He put me in touch with a visa expert who said the same. We would need to be mega business owners with assets of millions etc.

I then made basic visa enquiries with 2 other immigration companies and was told the same, we do not qualify.

I have gone back to the initial company and asked them if they were trying it on (never mix my words me) and they assure me that we can apply on the above route, 457.

Anyone have any knowledge on this before we have to pay more and end up getting ripped of. :arghh:

I thank you in advance.(and envy you)

You do not need to be mega rich business owners. There is what we call a self sponsored subclass 457 visa strategy available to you, if you are minded to leverage your present business ownership/experience in the UK.

I would be sceptical about finding a job and a 457 visa sponsorship from a third party based on your CV alone - but the acquisition of a franchise in one of the hotel/motel groups in Australia could well be a strategy worth pursuing.

Permanent residency would usually be via the Temporary Residency Transition stream of subclass 186, and this would require at least 4 years of work on the 457 - but this pathway would (to an extent) put you in control of your own visa destiny.

Put your pension transfer issue on the back burner for now - until you have certainty as to your long term residence in Australia this is not a priority.

Best regards.

Age would not preclude you from the 457 visa, but do you have a job offer? I wouldn't have paid anybody to do anything before having the job lined up. If you got the job offer, then in fact you would need the employer to sponsor you for a different visa because the 457 is a temporary visa and no it does not turn into a PR visa with the passage of time. You would need to get the company to sponsor for a permanent visa before age of 50 realistically. After age 50 it gets hard, you have to work for the employer for four years, earning over $130k each year. If you cannot meet that criteria then you will never get permanent residency.

So to sum up. Technically it is possible for you to get a visa and move to Australia, but in practice it would be extremely difficult. I don't think you have been lied to, but you have certainly been sold a dream. I would never trust or pay anyone that says give me money and I will find you a job. Don't pay them anything else.

Your best course of action would be to contact Alan Collett and let him help you with what you need. He has helped numerous people here and he knows what he is doing. In the mean time get your money back form people who are not really intend to assist you.

We did everything ourselves. You can look up Skillselect and read about visa classes. Perhaps that could give you a better idea what your options are. Good luck and hope that your dreams come true.

If we get over there, we have every intention of staying for good. We have been many times and know what to expect.

As for my pension, i now know that i dont have to do anything about it as i am already in receipt of it so its just a matter of either getting it paid into an Oz bank or leave it as it is and just transfer money as and when needed.

Initially we were going to sell our hotel here but now we may have found trusted friends who would be willing to move in and run it for 12 months. We still have a house where we used to live that we will keep rented out in case we need somewhere at the end of the 4 years. Thats if we dont sort something out between now and then.

As for Alan, if he is willing to help us with advice, i will speak with him.

Thanks for your replies.

Archived