landing in march, where should i head for picking?

mikecameron

i land in sydney march 25th (my birthday) just wondering which wy i should head for the best chance of landing a picking job i want to get my 3 months in asap so i don't have to worry about it at the end. also anyone else landing in sydney around the same time and want to help me celebrate my birthday.

cheers

mike.

not really related to you because you are heading to NSW & QLD, but for anybody else looking at backpacking in vic.

Here in Vic everything has really copped a hiding with the heat over the last couple of weeks and the next week as well (and who knows what will follow) so fruit/veg/flower picking jobs will be very scarce for a couple of months while the crops recover. All my grower/suppliers have lost a lot of crops because of burn/heat stress from the sun.

Is this true furkew, as this is a bit of bad news as I fly out to Melbourne in 10 days

I work on a farm producing cut flowers and we are also one of the biggest wholesalers in Australia, and unfortunately all the local growers are suffering badly (including our own farm)

The strawberry farmers had hail storms just over a month ago, and now the heat is causing more problems, flower growers are suffering because everything is burnt (by the heat) so its hard times all round at the moment.

even the rose growers are looking like having an average valentines because the roses are all flowering before the stems have grown long and the flower heads are all smaller than they should be for the valentines crops. This means a smaller crop yields, so therefore lower returns in the peak period. lily growers are all flushing this week, and will have nothing after valentines because of crops all producing at the same time.

other states are getting more constant weather, but here in Vic its not looking good for the next month at least.

The same happend when I was picking Pumpkins, the farmers were a bit wiser and they made us pick as much as we could before it happened. Managed to pick it all :)

heatwaves and hail storms are never good for backpacker!

a number of the big plant and foliage growers have invested in hail cannons to reduce/eliminate hail damage, but unfortunately temps of high 30's and even low mid 40's are just too extreme to be able to do much to compensate. We have dams & bore's and the sprinklers will be working 24/7 but it isn't enough to stop some damage to the crops.

I picked grapes years ago in Victoria in Mildura and also Nyah West/Swan Hill district. Should be plenty of work around in March. Check this website.

http://www.downundr.com/jobs-and-work/fruitpicking-towns/location/mildura/1

Mildura and swan hill have been 40+ far more than us and we are getting 20-30 backpackers a week stopping and looking for work so nothing is guaranteed at the moment.

hi fordy im flying out to melbourne on the 25th feb!! whats your plans for when you land? ive booked into a hostel called base in st kilda, then ill look for work asap.

Hi Kieren, we were looking at base, but opted for space which were staying there for 3 nights, then moving to habitat thats in st kilda for 7 nights. We'll be relaxing for the first few days/week, then will be looking for work, wether it be regional if possible, or any work to get some extra dollar, while we look for regional work.

yeah that sounds like a good plan, ill prob spend a few hours a day looking for work whilst getting to know the place and meet a few people!! id like to do the regional work at the beggining of my trip, so then i dont have to worry about it , all the best on your travels :)

Hi Kieren, we were looking at base, but opted for space which were staying there for 3 nights, then moving to habitat thats in st kilda for 7 nights. We'll be relaxing for the first few days/week, then will be looking for work, wether it be regional if possible, o any work to get some extra dollar, while we look for regionalp work.

You won't find a better hostel than Space. Stayed there for about a month til it got stupidly expensive!