HELP! E-visitor visa still processing supposed to be travelling Sunday! What do we do?

sazza

Hi please help,

we are travelling to Oz on Sunday 2/2/14 from UK for our 3 week honeymoon. Stupidly, we left our visas until the last moment as we were under the impression they were instant. Mine went through straight away, however my wife's is still processing!!! We are both British passport holders with no convictions. So don't understand why hers would be held up. Has anyone else had this problem? We cannot contact anyone as it is now the weekend. We are really stuck and don't know what to do? Can anyone give any advice? Our honeymoon which should be a happy experience and the holiday of a lifetime is turning into a complete nightmare!

Thanks in advance.

I thought that I read somewhere that you couldn't board the plane unless you had a valid visa, but I'm not 100% sure. If the travel agency is open (assuming they booked the holiday through one), then it would be worth calling them in the morning. But yes, if it's all booked and paid for then certainly go to the airport and see what the situation is when trying to check in.

I would just still go and explain the situation, if you don't get stopped then you know it's been granted while you're travelling, if not you just have to say you left it to the last minute and didn't realise it can take a few days or weeks... more than likely they'll grant it then and still let you in.

The Australian High Commission website says that the airline won't allow you to board the plane unless you have a valid visa to enter Australia. The DIAC website says that there's a 2 to 10 working day wait for the E-Visitor visa but this can fluctuate.

I don't think either of these pieces of information are overly helpful to you but contact a travel agent tomorrow and ask what your options are, or phone the airline (anonymously) and ask.

Thanks for all your responses so far. Unfortunately, according to many websites it states that we can't board the plane without visa being granted - it's linked to the passport apparently. We will however try to. It's just so frustrating that it is now the weekend and all government offices are closed. Really annoyed with ourselves that we didn't do this sooner! We just thought it would be a tick box exercise as it is only a holiday. Unfortunately we haven't booked through a travel agent as we have planned it all ourselves.

Thanks again.

If the visa has not been granted by the time you check in at the airport, the airline will not allow you to board the flight unless the situation can be resolved at the airport (this is what I think will happen). Airlines can process an Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) for Australia for tourism purposes - this is different from the e-visitor visa (subclass 651) that you applied for, but allows you to do the same - visit Australia for tourism; there will be a small fee charged by the airline for this (the ETA visa application charge is AUD$20, but EU passport holders cannot apply for this online - must be through travel agent or airline; the airline will do this for you at your point of departure). I have known this to happen to others in the past.

The airline will not be able to even print your boarding pass if you do not have a visa. We had issues with this when we went to validate our visas, it they system couldnt recognize OH visa even though he had visa label. The airline had to contact immigration in Australia to sort it out.

Hi please help,

we are travelling to Oz on Sunday 2/2/14 from UK for our 3 week honeymoon. Stupidly, we left our visas until the last moment as we were under the impression they were instant. Mine went through straight away, however my wife's is still processing!!! We are both British passport holders with no convictions. So don't understand why hers would be held up. Has anyone else had this problem? We cannot contact anyone as it is now the weekend. We are really stuck and don't know what to do? Can anyone give any advice? Our honeymoon which should be a happy experience and the holiday of a lifetime is turning into a complete nightmare!

Thanks in advance.

When I first attempted to fly to Australia I had no idea I needed a visa, and explained so when I attempted to check in for my flight. The airline was able to redirect me to their cash booking office where they quickly issued me a visa for the duration of my trip. It was a $20/£20 charge (don't remember exactly) and I was on my way.

You should be able to do the same if your wife's visa isn't in on time. Just remember to arrive at the airport early enough so you aren't rushed or in danger of missing your flight.

~MrsPOB

• 11 months later...

Hi, I am almost a year late to respond here but seeing that the situation was resolved at the check in desk, I was wondering if someone could help me understand what was the exact process when you visited the check in desk? Did you withdraw your evisitor application online before travelling to the airport, or just spoke to the airline staff and they managed to do it right there and then?

I am am due to travel to Oz for the ICC World Cup from London on the 12/02 and I applied for my evisitor stupidly just this week. Although they have emailed me back for request for additional information which I've provided I'm just worried how long it will take them to process it. I still have 3 weeks and a bit to go but this is really worrying as I've spent a fortune to book my tickets hotels travel arrangements etc!

If if worse comes to worse, would I travelling with my wife be able to just turn up at the Qantas check in desk and get an ETA Processed?

Hi please help,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Sazza

A couple of years ago we had our holiday booked and had gotten our visa's via our travel agent when we booked the flight. We had the paperwork to prove it as well. We got to Heathrow and went to check-in. They then asked us if my husband had a visa, yes he had but for some reason they only had mine showing. I showed them the paperwork to say we had paid but they said we had to stand to one side and it was looking like hub wasn't going to be able to fly. After a very anxious wait a lady came over, took us to another terminal and deduced that only I had a valid visa. So she then tried online to get hub one whilst we waited, luckily she was able to do it. We had to pay again but hey, it meant we were able to fly. We got our money back from the travel agent - don't know what was the hold up or why his seemed to have failed to go through. I would suggest contacting a Travel Agent in the morning.

Good luck to you, hope you get it sorted

maisie

dont worry about it just turn up if its only a holiday i doubt they would turn you away and probably by the time you get here it will have been processed anyhow

This is terrible advice

If the visa has not been granted by the time you check in at the airport, the airline will not allow you to board the flight unless the situation can be resolved at the airport (this is what I think will happen). Airlines can process an Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601) for Australia for tourism purposes - this is different from the e-visitor visa (subclass 651) that you applied for, but allows you to do the same - visit Australia for tourism; there will be a small fee charged by the airline for this (the ETA visa application charge is AUD$20, but EU passport holders cannot apply for this online - must be through travel agent or airline; the airline will do this for you at your point of departure). I have known this to happen to others in the past.

Fortunately this is better advice

This is terrible advice

Fortunately this is better advice

Some very useful input from people with past experiences here. What I wanted to know precisely is, if the situation does come to that (eVisitor, not being approved or finalised by the time of flight) and the person decides to go to the airport to resolve the issue with the airline, what happens with the already existing eVisitor Application?

Doesn't that need to be withdrawn before you lodge another application?

Archived