What made you decide to move to Aus

Londongal76

I left oz when I was 14, travelled and lived around europe, settled down in Belgium with my belgium GF and 3 yr old daughter, and have been planning to move back for the last 4 yrs, got 2 more yrs here in belgium before we pack up and move back "home"... It's the outdoor lifestyle, definitley the weather and that I have family over there that is making us want to move over......

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've always thought about moving to oz and so has my hubby sometimes the want to go was stronger than other times. To be honest I can't stand it here, not cause of where I live we have lovely neighbours, lovely friends, but the high schools ... Oh my god. The choice is awful. My eldest had a terrible time there and has thankfully left now and is at college, the teachers have lost what respect they had kids are smoking e cigs in class it's terrible I want to get our boy away ASAP and our girl is at a really good primary school but when she leaves there the choice is awful. The opportunities they will get, even just having their eyes opened about what is out there in the world and that they don't need to stay where they are born is priceless as far as I'm concerned.

We are outdoors people we love bring outside doing activities. My hubby on his motor cross bike, me ..just being with the kids and going out running. We hate this weather it restricts us all so much! We will all be healthier which leads to being more relaxed, our quality of life will be do much better.

I lost my sister 6 years ago and since then I just thought life is too short, I don't like what ifs, I don't want to be sat here 10 years from now regretting not going and seeing the kids but able to get jobs. But I am worried that my mum and dad will feel like they've lost another daughter, this is a huge battle in my head I have every day.

Britain is going down the pan it really is there will be no jobs for them here when they are older I think they have a better chance in oz

Plus oz is a beautiful country I'm not saying the U.K isn't cause it is but the weather is so horrible you can't go out to see it :-)

I've always thought about moving to oz and so has my hubby sometimes the want to go was stronger than other times. To be honest I can't stand it here, not cause of where I live we have lovely neighbours, lovely friends, but the high schools ... Oh my god. The choice is awful. My eldest had a terrible time there and has thankfully left now and is at college, the teachers have lost what respect they had kids are smoking e cigs in class it's terrible I want to get our boy away ASAP and our girl is at a really good primary school but when she leaves there the choice is awful. The opportunities they will get, even just having their eyes opened about what is out there in the world and that they don't need to stay where they are born is priceless as far as I'm concerned.

We are outdoors people we love bring outside doing activities. My hubby on his motor cross bike, me ..just being with the kids and going out running. We hate this weather it restricts us all so much! We will all be healthier which leads to being more relaxed, our quality of life will be do much better.

I lost my sister 6 years ago and since then I just thought life is too short, I don't like what ifs, I don't want to be sat here 10 years from now regretting not going and seeing the kids but able to get jobs. But I am worried that my mum and dad will feel like they've lost another daughter, this is a huge battle in my head I have every day.

Britain is going down the pan it really is there will be no jobs for them here when they are older I think they have a better chance in oz

Plus oz is a beautiful country I'm not saying the U.K isn't cause it is but the weather is so horrible you can't go out to see it :-)

Very severe case of rose tinted specs there I'm affraid...... Very rose tinted.

Alot of the burb's in the big cities are worse here than in the UK. Plus the gangsters seem to have found a way of getting hold of of end of guns here too - in some burb's it's like the USA but with no way to protect yourself.

Just imagine what it would be like moving to said USA. You wouldn't think that was going to be a 'cure all' fair weather utopia would you? So why think Australia is? Is it because you have made a judgement call based on the never ending slew of Aussie propaganda packaged as 'life down under' TV shows or something? In which a couple of heavily 'inherited' people set about buying a dream house in Perth for $700,000?

There are the opportunities here - just do some proper research and understand that everywhere is the same in terms of issues...

If you are a middle income earner in the UK - taxed to buggery on PAYE, hammered by car running costs, in a state of anxiety about the constant price rises of everything - including your drinks at the pub. It is 100% the same here.... No different what-so-ever.

I see quite a lot of negative responses to posts from 'hopeful's' on the forum and with the objective of this thread in particular being to ascertain what made people emigrate to Australia in the first place, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what actually made people decide to leave everything behind for a new life of apparent doom & gloom?

The majority of people seem to say it's for a better life (or standard of living), more sunshine, less stress, an adventure etc etc....undoubtedly programmes such as WDU fuel peoples perception of what Australia has to offer, but from what I've seen (I am one of the saddos that watch it) the majority are not heavily inherited families, they all go over and have to do a work/lifestyle comparison? I completely understand it isn't for everyone and really feel for those that have moved across only to have their hopes unrealised, resulting in a return to the UK. I'm also aware your setting yourself up for a fall if you don't do enough research or let such programmes tint your glasses but seriously...if you aren't moving to Australia for any of the above....what was your driving force to leave the UK/your home country and if it is just as bad if not worse (in some areas) than the UK, why do you not return?

Alot of the burb's in the big cities are worse here than in the UK. Plus the gangsters seem to have found a way of getting hold of of end of guns here too - in some burb's it's like the USA but with no way to protect yourself.

Just imagine what it would be like moving to said USA. You wouldn't think that was going to be a 'cure all' fair weather utopia would you? So why think Australia is? Is it because you have made a judgement call based on the never ending slew of Aussie propaganda packaged as 'life down under' TV shows or something? In which a couple of heavily 'inherited' people set about buying a dream house in Perth for $700,000?

There are the opportunities here - just do some proper research and understand that everywhere is the same in terms of issues...

If you are a middle income earner in the UK - taxed to buggery on PAYE, hammered by car running costs, in a state of anxiety about the constant price rises of everything - including your drinks at the pub. It is 100% the same here.... No different what-so-ever.

Haven't heard a gunshot since I fired my rifle in 1974 and ex military I sure know what one sounds like. You get the prize for piffle of the month, and that's saying something here!

I see quite a lot of negative responses to posts from 'hopeful's' on the forum and with the objective of this thread in particular being to ascertain what made people emigrate to Australia in the first place, I'm genuinely interested in hearing what actually made people decide to leave everything behind for a new life of apparent doom & gloom?

The majority of people seem to say it's for a better life (or standard of living), more sunshine, less stress, an adventure etc etc....undoubtedly programmes such as WDU fuel peoples perception of what Australia has to offer, but from what I've seen (I am one of the saddos that watch it) the majority are not heavily inherited families, they all go over and have to do a work/lifestyle comparison? I completely understand it isn't for everyone and really feel for those that have moved across only to have their hopes unrealised, resulting in a return to the UK. I'm also aware your setting yourself up for a fall if you don't do enough research or let such programmes tint your glasses but seriously...if you aren't moving to Australia for any of the above....what was your driving force to leave the UK/your home country and if it is just as bad if not worse (in some areas) than the UK, why do you not return?

IMO, you would move here for a specific element of the landscape... For me, the surfing and, more recently, the dirt bike & 4x4 adventure capability is probably the best in the world! It's awesome, and that's why I stay. It's also very very easy to get set up in business in the USA - again, why I stay.

Having grafted my way up the Melbourne IT scene with no more than 3x weeks (max) holiday for 8 years, I am also now on a mint and use Aussie as a very nice base from which to build a US asset base. Yearly 3 week stints in Euro / US provides a relief from the police state / price gouging and boguns.

It is not, at all bad here...... It's just not, at all, what channel 4 makes it out to be.

Haven't heard a gunshot since I fired my rifle in 1974 and ex military I sure know what one sounds like. You get the prize for piffle of the month, and that's saying something here!

Hya Mate, piffle = probably ;-) Gun crime... Do you not watch the news or sommat?

I'm not sure the USA's gun laws would make things safer for people.

Plus even if the gangs get guns, how often do gangs shoot random civilians? Sounds like you have been brainwashed by the 2nd Amendment crazies (Ps love the way they go crazy about changing the constitution while quoting an amendment)

Hya Mate, piffle = probably ;-) Gun crime... Do you not watch the news or sommat?

Yes ABC News 24 and all the others. You need to stop believing everything you see on the 'idiot box'

Don't see it as rose tinted tbh.

Alot of the burb's in the big cities are worse here than in the UK

Don't know where you'd find anywhere that's as bad as some of the suburbs in most on the UK's big cities. Maybe in a few years time we might have the same sort of problems but I think we are a few years off yet. My wife used to be a health visitor in Moss Side for a couple of years before we emigrated and I lived in Sparkhill for a couple when I was a student. The only place I've seen in Aus that was remotely like them, but nowhere near as bad yet was Western Sydney, round Liverpool way. We were working out that way and there were a couple of "incidents" that week, both involving Syrians who had disagreements about what was happening over there.

Bit like the UK if you want to avoid the problems pick your neighbourhood.

If she really has kids in a school where they are openly smoking in class, in front of teachers then I can see why she might want to move if that's going to be her only option for her other kids. I'm sure they could find a much nicer place to live in the UK but if they are anything like us, we considered it and a move down to the South Coast. When we priced things up it was more expensive than the move out here, and then we have the added advantage of guaranteed good weather.

I agree that if you want to live your life like you did in the UK. Get in from work, watch TV all night, let the kids relax in front of the computer games, get up the next morning and do the same again, life here will seem much the same. If you change though, get up early go for a walk on the beach or a bit of exercise before work, walk after work in the nice warm evening, kids might follow your lead and get into a few sports too. Make sure the kids get out and try and enjoy what you have then it can be totally different. So much more to do here that is free. No need to sit in a pub and worry whether you can afford another pint.

I agree, there are suburbs (and towns) in Australia where I wouldn't live if you paid me. Exactly the same as in the UK.

As for guns - which burbs? You could count the number of suburbs affected on one hand, Australia-wide, and 99% of the victims are other gang members. It looks worse because the TV news and papers just love the drama and features every incident ad nauseam. The politicians like to talk them up too, because then they can look tough by introducing "measures" to "control the problem". However look at the statistics, and the firearm-related death rate in Australia and the UK is about the same per head of population.

Guest Guest40285

I was coming on a work visa to work out in western NSW on a big wheat farm driving a combine, met my ex in my local pub as was friends with her cousin who worked there, had a one night stand, chased her like a bee to nectar, ended up moving to Sydney instead, ended up getting a job as a fitter in 4WD shop, applied for residency and to my amazement got it............ stayed in Sydney a few years, then the Central coast, Now the lovely Byron shire, had two lovely girls, renovated a few houses, climbed the real estate ladder, got oh so close to the top..... bought and sold wheeled and dealed, she left.............. I lost everything..............but Im the primary carer of my two,So in hindsite I won............. Im am going back to England one day to live,thats a given, but when my children are old enough to look after themselves.

Ok well thanks for the info. I have my very own research book that I have created. I look at one suburb first look at the crime level the flood risk the schooling the house prices the job availability the pros the cons I research using all sorts of sites including government ones, newspaper articles from that area, schooling, sites which native Australians use do to be fair I think I have done quite a lot of research. I am a mother of 3 children I am not going to move our family without doing the research I'm not looking through rose tinted glasses I really do believe that it will be a better life for us and so does my husband. I wouldn't base my judgements on programmes like wanted down under it would be ridiculous of me to do the and tbh I can't believe that anyone would make judgments based on this and think that is a ridiculous comment but hey go each to their own.

Archived