Can anyone recommend lawer who deal with Australian Citizenship issues

kamalg

Hi All

Does anyone know lawyer / law firm who provide legal advise on obtaining Australian citizenship ?

I want to see if i can obtain citizenship by using ministerial discretion to count some years i spent as a lawful non permanent resident

There are many law firms dealing with migration PR but i am having hard time finding someone who can assist with interpretation of the citizenship

thanks for any help anyone can provide

I'm not sure I understand the issue. You must have been continuously resident in Australia for 4 years on the date you apply for citizenship, at least 12 months of which must have been as a permanent resident. The first three years can happily be as a lawful temporary resident. Oh, and there are restrictions about how long you can have been out of Australia in the qualifying period. But unless you are trying to avoid the 12 months as a PR (in which case, just wait until you have been PR for 12 months); are expecting to leave Australia permanently in the near future; or are expecting to be sentenced to imprisonment in the near futre, I can't see the problem.

plus, don't your years as a lawful non-permanent resident count? cos my 3 years on a 457 (which is a non-permanent residence) and 1yr on a PR equaled citizenship for me, and My wife's 1.5yrs on a student visa (non permanent residence) + 1.5yrs on a 457 (non permanent residence) + 1yr on the PR equaled citizenship for her as well.

Well my scenario is that i lived in Australia as a student (high school, college, uni) for 6 years then once i graduated i left Australia, headed back home

and worked in my profession for 5 years. I obtained PR (offshore) then migrated yearly 1 year back. So i am coming up on 12 months on PR (i have not

left Australia since i arrived on PR. Problem for me is that since citizenship act was amended there is now a 4 year rule in place. I want to see i

i can get minister to intervene and get 3 years counted from the time i was here as a student as i am in Canberra and without citizenship i cannot

obtain jobs - and thats the only thing preventing me from getting a job in my field - thus putting me at a significant disadvantage and financial hardship

I feel your pain, but I think you have zero chance of success. You would have been eligible for citizenship when you were a student and were of adult age so it was your decision not to take it. You have then spent 5 years outside Australia (and your use of the term "back home" is quite telling). You are not asking for temporary residence to be treated as permanent residence, you are asking for a complete waiver of the requirement to have lived in Australia continuously for 4 years - purely to enhance your employability.

You are wasting your time. There is some exeptions in the migration act - but this is not one of them. I hold a validated PR visa, but not currently in Australia - I have also 3 years as a Temp resident 4 years before my PR was granted, should my time be counted so I can look for a job??

Everyone could have a claim for ministerial intervention.

Archived