perth bound by end of 2014 (hopefully) :)

mel25

Hi all, New to this site so thought I'd say hello. Me, my partner and our 2 kids are hoping to move from the UK to Perth by either the end of this year/beginning of 2015...hoping this year :) Going over via my partner who is an electrician and by the 190 Visa. We are looking at north of the river just not too sure where. We have family who we will be staying with so we can go look around, but was just wondering if anyone could help us in the way of areas. Will be renting, would like to be near schools, shops and the beach (if lucky enough) have looked on the internet around joondalup and surrounding areas and also Butler where family are. Could anyone give us any more places to consider?

Happy New year all. Looking forward to hearing from some of you I hope.

I currently live in the Northern Suburbs and moved from a rental in Mindarie to one for four months in Clarkson until our new build is ready.

I don't personally go in for the "this area is good, that area is bad" so I will not comment on the following places. Some areas are Mindarie, Clarkson, Jindalee, Quinns Rocks, Ridgewood, Kinross, Carramar, Alkimos, Connolly, Ocean Reef, Edgewater, Tapping, Ashby, Wannerroo, Woodvale. This is not exhaustive but plenty to be going on with.

My only advice would be to not listen to others opinions of an area too much as compared to what many of us are used to in the UK there are very few genuinely rough areas, For example Mindarie is classed as a good area and Clarkson bad. I personally wish that I had moved from Mindarie to Clarkson a long time ago as I believe Mindarie is overrated other than the area right by the marina and landlords and agents are greedy in terms of rents etc for the houses you can actually get.

I tend to judge an area by the state of their front gardens and I can probably count on one hand the number of scruffy properties I have seen in any of the areas in the last two years.

One useful comment above is in relation to the commute to work. I work near Freo and even though I am used to commuting it does sometime get to be a bit of a bind. Then again cruising up the West Coast Highway on a sunny day certainly beats speeding down the M4 in pouring rain.

Good luck

Si

Good post from Si T above. Any of those areas he mentions would be good. Some are a bit far from the beach for my liking but the ones nearer the beach are more expensive. If you can afford it my advice would be to stretch a little bit and be in walking distance. It's saved us loads of hassles when we've had visitors, knowing that they don't have to wait for us to ferry them round everywhere and they can walk to the beach and back if they want.

If you have family or friends in Butler what usually happens is you get to know the area and end up looking for somewhere round where you stay when you first arrive. We rented in Como for a year and my wife started talking about getting a place round there. When we came out we both said we wanted to be near the beach as we had always loved our holidays in warm climates and spent heaps of time on the beach when we were away. Luckily I stuck to my guns and reminded her of our original plan and she's glad I did now. The Rivers OK but nowhere near as much fun as the Ocean IMO. Good luck.

Archived