Young people 'feel they have nothing to live for'

Guest Guest 47403

Guest Guest 47403

[h=1]Young people 'feel they have nothing to live for'[/h]

As many as three quarters of a million young people in the UK may feel that they have nothing to live for, a study for the Prince's Trust charity claims.

The trust says almost a third of long-term unemployed young people have contemplated taking their own lives.

Urgent action must be taken to prevent the young jobless becoming the young hopeless, it says.

The government commented that it was doing "everything possible" to help young people find work.

Last month, figures from the Office for National Statistics showed the UK unemployment rate had fallen to its lowest level since 2009, with the number of people out of work falling by 99,000 to 2.39 million in the three months to October.

'Devastating'

The Prince's Trust Macquarie Youth Index was based on interviews with 2,161 16 to 25-year-olds. Of these, 281 were classified as Neet (not in employment, education or training) and 166 of these Neets had been unemployed for over six months.

The report found 9% of all respondents agreed with the statement: "I have nothing to live for" and said if 9% of all youngsters felt the same, it would equate to some 751,230 young people feeling they had nothing to live for.

Among those respondents classified as Neet, the percentage of those agreeing with the statement rose to 21%.

The research found that long-term unemployed young people were more than twice as likely as their peers to have been prescribed anti-depressants.

One in three (32%) had contemplated suicide, while one in four (24%) had self-harmed.

The report found 40% of jobless young people had faced symptoms of mental illness, including suicidal thoughts, feelings of self-loathing and panic attacks, as a direct result of unemployment.

Three quarters of long-term unemployed young people (72%) did not have someone to confide in, the study found.

Martina Milburn, chief executive of the Prince's Trust, said: "Unemployment is proven to cause devastating, long-lasting mental health problems among young people.

"Thousands wake up every day believing that life isn't worth living, after struggling for years in the dole queue.

"More than 440,000 young people are facing long-term unemployment, and it is these young people that urgently need our help.

"If we fail to act, there is a real danger that these young people will become hopeless, as well as jobless."

Wage incentives

A spokesman for the Department for Work and Pension said the government was "doing everything possible" to help young people into work and that there were currently 106,000 fewer young people claiming Jobseeker's Allowance than there were in 2010.

"Through the youth contract, we've hugely increased the number of work experience placements and apprenticeships to give young people the support they need to find a job," the spokesman said.

"By offering employers wage incentives worth up to £2,275 we are helping businesses to take them on.

"The work programme has also helped more than 74,000 young people escape long-term unemployment and find lasting work."

The Prince's Trust was set up by Prince Charles in 1976 to help disadvantaged young people.

It supports 13 to 30 year-olds who are unemployed and those struggling at school and at risk of exclusion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-25559089

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In my hubs line of work, if the young'uns get a job their rent goes from a pound odd to about 180 quid a week....where's the help there? Where's the hope? These are kids with nowt, homeless. Said it before, should be more apprenticeships and some sort of 'settling in period' with rents etc, maybe a gradual increase over the year.

And there are many many kids who have tried to take their lives while he's been on shift, and many who take legal highs and almost kill themselves with those too...boils my blood that youth and children's services are being phased out in UK and that lethal concoctions like these so called legal highs can't be policed properly.

I don't care where this occurs. I heard this this morning, and IF this research is correct, it utterly chokes me up that our young feel this despair.

I was watching a polishitun on the tiv (UK 'shituns are not familiar to me yet) this morning justifying the increase in rail fares.

The disconnect with these creatures is chasmic. Like Australia so many of them have found inventive ways to leech off the public purse,-including-like Aus, employing members of their family.

They then make bald statements publicly about why they strip services and increase charges. This fiscal mismanagement for decades (UK/Aus/Greece.....add another country HERE), results in what we see in so many countries.

At least a dictatorship is open about controlling and stripping the people of any decent mode of living. 'Democracies' pick your pocket whilst telling you its for your own good!

Any Government should hang its head in shame when its young see little to no hope of a decent future.

How in the hell did we allow these genetic throwbacks to so easily control and fleece us?

Guest Guest 47403
In my hubs line of work, if the young'uns get a job their rent goes from a pound odd to about 180 quid a week....where's the help there? Where's the hope? These are kids with nowt, homeless. Said it before, should be more apprenticeships and some sort of 'settling in period' with rents etc, maybe a gradual increase over the year.

And there are many many kids who have tried to take their lives while he's been on shift, and many who take legal highs and almost kill themselves with those too...boils my blood that youth and children's services are being phased out in UK and that lethal concoctions like these so called legal highs can't be policed properly.

The article is pretty shocking actually, In the United Kingdom we shouldn't charities to look out for the best interests of young people.

People shouldn't feel suicidal at any point in there life but especially not as a young person it's just a crap situation for them to be in.

I think you're in the same part of the world as us Jodi. My oh has just had to fight to keep his service to young people going (successfully thankfully) despite all the research showing that early intervention is the most cost effective way of treating people - both economically and personally. Other parts of the country haven't been so fortunate. Many of these young people have mental health issues. Do these present themselves because of hopelessness? Who knows, but the evidence is that being economically inactive does increase the incidence of mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse and suicidal attempts. Many of these problems start between the ages of 15 and 25, so it's hardly surprising that these young people start to disengage with education or training.

We can't even expect charities to pick up the slack in looking after people - they have had their funding cut too.

For the record though, it isn't just a UK problem. My oh was involved in putting together a BMJ editorial in Sept about the problems faced by NEETs which also included colleagues from Canada, France, Denmark, Australia, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Ireland and the USA as well as the UK. However, the outcomes for these young people will depend on how respective governments respond...

Guest Guest 47403
I think you're in the same part of the world as us Jodi. My oh has just had to fight to keep his service to young people going (successfully thankfully) despite all the research showing that early intervention is the most cost effective way of treating people - both economically and personally. Other parts of the country haven't been so fortunate. Many of these young people have mental health issues. Do these present themselves because of hopelessness? Who knows, but the evidence is that being economically inactive does increase the incidence of mental illness, drug and alcohol abuse and suicidal attempts. Many of these problems start between the ages of 15 and 25, so it's hardly surprising that these young people start to disengage with education or training.

We can't even expect charities to pick up the slack in looking after people - they have had their funding cut too.

For the record though, it isn't just a UK problem. My oh was involved in putting together a BMJ editorial in Sept about the problems faced by NEETs which also included colleagues from Canada, France, Denmark, Australia, Spain, Germany, Brazil, Ireland and the USA as well as the UK. However, the outcomes for these young people will depend on how respective governments respond...

Also on the BBC news website today was the below article regarding mental illness in young people in Scotland.

Young people who are unemployed need more help to deal with the psychological effects, a leading charity has said.

The Prince's Trust said more than one in ten report mental health problems associated with being out of work.

The charity interviewed 16-25 year-olds.

Suicidal thoughts, panic attacks or self-loathing were reported by 13% of young Scots, as a result of unemployment.

The Trust carried out the research along with the Macquarie Group Foundation.

It said the number of young people in Scotland claiming benefits for more than six months has increased by more than 240% since the start of the recession.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-25570701

Just a thought. For all those who are anti the Royal Family, shouldn't research like this make us think, "Thank Goodness Prince Charles cared enough about youngsters to set up a charity like this which actually goes out there and does something about the real life issues young people are facing," rather than just criticise the Royals for being freeloaders.

I know how terrible you can feel when you can't find work, I felt completely useless and got really depressed at one point. I imagine it would be a hundred times worse if you didn't have family/friends to support you so yeah I can see how people end up feeling so bad

Just a thought. For all those who are anti the Royal Family, shouldn't research like this make us think, "Thank Goodness Prince Charles cared enough about youngsters to set up a charity like this which actually goes out there and does something about the real life issues young people are facing," rather than just criticise the Royals for being freeloaders.

I think its the least he can do,seeing as he doesnt pay any corporation or capital gains tax on the duchy of cornwall,that "he" owns

I think its the least he can do,seeing as he doesnt pay any corporation or capital gains tax on the duchy of cornwall,that "he" owns

You only pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell property or die. He is not dead and has not sold it, ergo no CGT. He also does not own the land, only the income from it.

It is considered Crown property and therefore not subject to corporation tax. However, since 1993 Prince Charles has been paying tax on the income from it, less official expenditure (ie the costs of the staff who manage it).

As this would be the case for any corporation (paying tax on profits after expenditure), I don't see a problem with it.

You only pay Capital Gains Tax when you sell property or die. He is not dead and has not sold it, ergo no CGT. He also does not own the land, only the income from it.

It is considered Crown property and therefore not subject to corporation tax. However, since 1993 Prince Charles has been paying tax on the income from it, less official expenditure (ie the costs of the staff who manage it).

As this would be the case for any corporation (paying tax on profits after expenditure), I don't see a problem with it.

Its a business,it should pay corporation tax like any other,the 3rd biggest land owner in the uk,the capital gains tax is reinvested in the duchy,thats why he pays no tax on it,not content with owning vast swathes of land that should belong to the country,he takes full advantage of special tax rules as well,and you're grateful he set up a charity?

Each to their own,but im not grateful for scraps thrown from the royals,you can be if thats how you feel i suppose

Sad sign of the times in the western world I'm afraid.Expectations from society are way too high these days.When I left school in Australia,kids took any job they could find.Mind you apprenticeships were readily available then!I had a part time job in a hairdressers when I was 15,and was offered an apprenticeship when I left school.I turned it down!:cute:I took a job as a junior clerk instead!I think if I were leaving school now,I would take any job going,including cleaning toilets,and work my way up!We recently had a post going at my work for a porter (NHS).Now you'd think in this economic climate we would of had loads of applicants?We had 6!!! the thing is,you have to look at the bigger picture when you're young.So lets say you get the Porters job?If you're not entirely happy doing that for the rest of your days,then apply internally for something else?Someone i know started as a cleaner for the NHS,(band 1)and is now on band 4 in a desk job!I do have alot of empathy for the younger generation,I have young adult kids myself,but really you do need to help yourself.They also have to realise that there is much more to life than owning a Mc Mansion and Porche!

I don't care where this occurs. I heard this this morning, and IF this research is correct, it utterly chokes me up that our young feel this despair.

I was watching a polishitun on the tiv (UK 'shituns are not familiar to me yet) this morning justifying the increase in rail fares.

The disconnect with these creatures is chasmic. Like Australia so many of them have found inventive ways to leech off the public purse,-including-like Aus, employing members of their family.

They then make bald statements publicly about why they strip services and increase charges. This fiscal mismanagement for decades (UK/Aus/Greece.....add another country HERE), results in what we see in so many countries.

At least a dictatorship is open about controlling and stripping the people of any decent mode of living. 'Democracies' pick your pocket whilst telling you its for your own good!

Any Government should hang its head in shame when its young see little to no hope of a decent future.

How in the hell did we allow these genetic throwbacks to so easily control and fleece us?

Look what we did to the last man to go to Parliament with honourable intentions.......................Guy Fawlkes.

Its a business,it should pay corporation tax like any other,the 3rd biggest land owner in the uk,the capital gains tax is reinvested in the duchy,thats why he pays no tax on it,not content with owning vast swathes of land that should belong to the country,he takes full advantage of special tax rules as well,and you're grateful he set up a charity?

Each to their own,but im not grateful for scraps thrown from the royals,you can be if thats how you feel i suppose

No, no, no my friend, in the overall scale of things his wealth and income is totally, totally irrelevant. If his total wealth was confiscated, we would get about £50 each. Please don't talk like this, it detracts from your arguments.

No, no, no my friend, in the overall scale of things his wealth and income is totally, totally irrelevant. If his total wealth was confiscated, we would get about £50 each. Please don't talk like this, it detracts from your arguments.

I dont need you to vet my arguments thx,i also dont need to hear the myth that the royals cost us all 5 pence a year either,the market value of the Duchy is estimated to be in the billions,so i would guess thats more than £50 each,thats just that Duchy btw,i haven't even mentioned the Duchy of Lancaster,if you're content to be led by the nose by the corporation that is the royal family and its supporters thats your choice,but i dont agree with feudal laws being used to protect money raised in the 21st century by a corporation,and thats what the Duchy is,in all but name

Prince Charles does pay corporation tax (read my post!)

I am grateful he set up a charity because he is actively helping young people - the very sector of the population that the government is ignoring. The work his charity has done in terms of supporting youngsters with no skills or qualifications to set up and manage their own businesses successfully is superb. He did not have to do it (any more than the Duke of Edinburgh had to set up the Duke of Edinburgh award which encourages thousands of young people every year to get out there and discover new skills, give back to the community etc etc).

Just because someone is royal, does not mean that they don't deserve credit for doing something which benefits others.

It's the baz and Pablo show again..!!! Just leave the uk and live in happiness in Australia

Why is it the Baz and Pablo show?please explain?

So what you're saying is to live in a country you have to be entirely happy with every aspect of that country is it?

That people cant debate issues they care about? and this from the big black cloud that lives in australia but does NOTHING but whinge about it! yer couldn't script it lol

I am neither Republic or Monarchy. I have little time for an anachronistic structures, BUT I find the Royals very handy in terms of tourist revenue. I even like the pomp and ceremony, simply because it brightens our day! The right to rule is a bit silly though, but thankfully they no longer chop off heads which is a positive.........

Sad sign of the times in the western world I'm afraid.Expectations from society are way too high these days.When I left school in Australia,kids took any job they could find.Mind you apprenticeships were readily available then!I had a part time job in a hairdressers when I was 15,and was offered an apprenticeship when I left school.I turned it down!:cute:I took a job as a junior clerk instead!I think if I were leaving school now,I would take any job going,including cleaning toilets,and work my way up!We recently had a post going at my work for a porter (NHS).Now you'd think in this economic climate we would of had loads of applicants?We had 6!!! the thing is,you have to look at the bigger picture when you're young.So lets say you get the Porters job?If you're not entirely happy doing that for the rest of your days,then apply internally for something else?Someone i know started as a cleaner for the NHS,(band 1)and is now on band 4 in a desk job!I do have alot of empathy for the younger generation,I have young adult kids myself,but really you do need to help yourself.They also have to realise that there is much more to life than owning a Mc Mansion and Porche!

It was much easier for our generation. The kind of jobs we could get as filing clerks etc, and then perhaps progress, have gone. All we have now is the automation of press this, press that.

What these youngsters have is Mcjobs family breakdown and constant criticism. It is no surprise to me that they give up; they develop their own culture, and ultimately they feel so disenfranchised that so unacceptably many take their lives. We have devalued them; the workplace has devalued them; family has devalued them.

They have 'separated' from us, because we have separated them. It is much harder today just on attitude alone. Youth to us; us to youth.

Crikey!! I know you mean well, but surely people are allowed to give their own pov?

Please don't talk like this?? Pablo wasn't suggesting assassination, he gave his view!

Archived