getting sponsored

OliviaApsara

Hi,

I am Olivia, I'm coming out to Oz in Feb on a working Holiday visa. My aim is to get sponsored as soon as possible so I can stay fro longer in Oz. Can any employer sponsor any employee or is it only within certain jobs sponsorships are available? I work in the fitness industry and I hope to carry on doing that in Oz.

Any help/advice would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Olivia

There are only certain jobs which can be sponsored.

Have a look at the sticky at the top of the migration section for links. You need to look at the sol and csol. If your job is on one of those, google the code it comes with and that will tell you the minimum qualifications and years of experience needed.

Your occupation must be on the following list:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/pdf/csol.pdf

If you're coming out with the goal of getting sponsored I would get onto it ASAP or do your farming work initially to extend your time here past 12 months to gain sponsorship. It took me a good 6 months of constant applications and that was a few years ago when it appears it was a lot easier.

Failing that, meet an Aussie while you're out here ;)

As Blossom says, your occupation has to be on one of the two lists. But also the company has to qualify and not every company can. Then there is now a market test for employers to pass. Basically they have to prove that the reason they are sponsoring is because they can not fill the role locally.

My son came recently on a WHV and he is a fitness instructor and could not get work in that field in Perth.

As a result, my advice income to Oz, have a great holiday but remember that is what it is. A holiday.

brilliant, cheers for all comments. There are a couple of possibilities on the csol web page, one being fitness center manager which is what I'm doing in the uk and the other one is Nutritionist, hopefully I can get something. is there any other way, apart from befriending a nice Aussie for me to be able to stay for longer?

brilliant, cheers for all comments. There are a couple of possibilities on the csol web page, one being fitness center manager which is what I'm doing in the uk and the other one is Nutritionist, hopefully I can get something. is there any other way, apart from befriending a nice Aussie for me to be able to stay for longer?

Presumably you have the qualifications as well as the experience?

and also, the farming work, is there any in/near Sydney? and is there a way around the fact that I can only work for one employer for a maximum of 6 months? I have already got a job to get into but they want me to stay with them for 12 months.

Thanks again

There is no way around the 6 months - one of the reasons it is so hard to get work. I think in some instances you can apply for an extra few weeks if you are working on a government project or something but in your case I would say no. Like another poster said it is really hard to gain sponsorship...but not impossible if you are prepared to spend a lot of time and energy seeking it.

It can't be a different job with the same employer. The fundamental purpose of this kind of visa is for a person to work while supporting travel around the country, being able to work for a maximum of six months with a single employer is a vis condition that supports this.

The farm work, I believe, needs to be undertaken in a regional area. Sydney is unlikely to fall within the regional category. Farm work tends to be in places like North QLD.

Nutrition can be a difficult area to break into here, there is not a short supply of degree qualified people already.

The only way round the 6 month rule is that you can work for the same company for 6 months on your 2nd WHV as you did on your first. But you would need to do your 3 months rural work when you first entered Australia.

As for sponsorship there is a lot of other issues to getting sponsored I.e the company becoming eligible to sponsor, they are eligible to nominate the position also does the position pay the minimum salary threshold - which is comparable to market rates, even if company willing to pay more than market rate this is not allowed. Many positions in these industries will not meet the minimum salary threshold. You would definitely require a degree to be sponsored as nutritionist.

If you have an occupation on the CSOL then the next thing to do is to look at the state lists to see if any of them are sponsoring your occupation. If so, then you can apply for state sponsored visa. However, for all of the visas you need to check out the minimum requirements regarding qualifications and experience.

.... is there any other way, apart from befriending a nice Aussie for me to be able to stay for longer?

There may be. I would suggest that you consult a registered migration agent if you wish to obtain advice on the visa options which may be open to you. A registered migration agent will be able to discuss your visa options fully with you, taking into account your experience, qualifications, and personal circumstances (after discussing these with you and obtaining the required details). It is difficult for people on this forum to advise what visa options you may have when they are unaware of the details of your experience, qualifications, and personal circumstances, etc.

... and is there a way around the fact that I can only work for one employer for a maximum of 6 months?

Usually not, but it is possible in exceptional circumstances. The employer who has offered you a job wanting you to work for 12 months when you have not even started working for them does not indicate exceptional circumstances and on the contrary indicates that exceptional circumstances most likely do not exist - they simply need someone who can work for 12 months, which you cannot on a WHV.

Archived