Cautionary tale about shipping

Nerak123

I'm posting this just so know one gets royally ripped off in the same way as us with shipping. We recently shipped back to UK - but the same would apply to move over to oz. Essentially we paid to have our stuff delivered to within 30 mile radius of London as we didn't know where we would be settling when we moved back. As it turned out we ended up in Hampshire and when we notified the shipping company they advised there would be an additional charge of $672 - as that was their price for Hampshire.

When I checked on the map and did the maths it turned out we were exactly 35 miles from London so only 5 miles outside the permitted radius. We had quite an argument about what constituted a "radius" as the shipping company argued that it meant travel time! Eventually, and after a huge amount of hassle, I got them to reduce this price but we still ended up paying an extortionate amount of money for an additional 5 miles travelled.

When you are moving country you have so many things to think about but this shipping company were not at all transparent about their additional charges and I hope by posting this others can avoid the same problem.

What is not transparent? You paid for within 30 miles of London and then moved to Hampshire so you paid extra. It seems quite transparent to me, I remember we paid for transportation within Xkms of Sydney too.

I see what you are saying but it still seams like a lot of money for 5 miles.... You would have thought that for 5 miles they could have been a little more understanding as it is a mainly referral business that they are in.... We have just booked a move cube who said the same 30km outside perth then i pointed out it is joondalup around 35-40km and they said that will be fine no further charges....

What got me about it was they just would not justify such a massive additional cost to go an extra few miles. I actually had to send them a map image with a radius drawn on it from London to show we were just5 miles over - I spoke to the delivery company a lot about the fact I didn't know where we would settle so you would think they would show us their tariff in advance (hence the lack of transparency) . I had no problem paying a little bit extra for the extra few miles but nearly 700 for 5 miles is extortionate.

Our shipping company delivered for no extra cost even though we were over 20 miles away from where we first landed. Whilst the charges you had to pay were high, you were outside where you said you were going to be, and the one ace they will always have up their sleeve.....all your possessions. Maybe you should have asked what their charges were and to them in writing before you left. I suppose lesson learnt and at least you have warned others.

I'm posting this just so know one gets royally ripped off in the same way as us with shipping. We recently shipped back to UK - but the same would apply to move over to oz. Essentially we paid to have our stuff delivered to within 30 mile radius of London as we didn't know where we would be settling when we moved back. As it turned out we ended up in Hampshire and when we notified the shipping company they advised there would be an additional charge of $672 - as that was their price for Hampshire.

When I checked on the map and did the maths it turned out we were exactly 35 miles from London so only 5 miles outside the permitted radius. We had quite an argument about what constituted a "radius" as the shipping company argued that it meant travel time! Eventually, and after a huge amount of hassle, I got them to reduce this price but we still ended up paying an extortionate amount of money for an additional 5 miles travelled.

When you are moving country you have so many things to think about but this shipping company were not at all transparent about their additional charges and I hope by posting this others can avoid the same problem.

Ridiculous increase! $672 for what,an hours extra driving/pay X 3 or 4 men is it? and a gallon of diesel extra,no wonder you weren't happy Nerak!

Yes should have asked! Lesson leant although you would assume the extra charge would be reasonable. I hope someone can benefit from my blunder.

I would also say another 'top tip' was to insure your goods with a third party insurer. We saved a huge amount of money doing this...more than the cost OSS charge to drive 5 miles!!!!

Yes should have asked! Lesson leant although you would assume the extra charge would be reasonable. I hope someone can benefit from my blunder.

I would also say another 'top tip' was to insure your goods with a third party insurer. We saved a huge amount of money doing this...more than the cost OSS charge to drive 5 miles!!!!

I always say its ok to make te mistake once, so long as you, and someone else, learns from it.

Maybe if you point out they can deliver to the limit on their quote, the 35m limit, drop your stuff on the side of the road where they see fit and you can arrange a truck from there. Then you will post your experience truthfully online for all other customers. No lies just your experience of their service and how they go that extra mile....................Sometimes a little reverse Phsycology might help

Thanks guys. I did think about the option of having it dropped off somewhere within the limit as it may well have been cheaper! and they were useless at unloading anyway as one of the guys was injured from his last job and had to sit in the van. I was 8 months pregnant at the time and over-did it a bit as we were short-handed. With that and a toddler to contend with I didn't think I could cope with anything else.

I did read the paperwork and there was no tarif. In any event, I'm a lawyer and I always tell my clients that when dealing with consumer contracts the best approach is to be transparent and up front. In this case they didn't seem to have read their own contract as they claimed that it was 30 miles driving distance as opposed to a radius which you calculate "as the crow flies". Anyway, it's not really about the rights and the wrong of my own particular experience but more about flagging to others so they don't hit the same problem.

Archived