How much cash can a person carry legally in Australia ?

jyotikhtr

Well I cannot see into the future better than anyone else, but if I were planning to move in April next year I would just wait and see what the exchange rate does. To me, it looks like it is slowly returning to its natural and more sustainable level after a few years of being overvalued and I expect it will continue to do so.

To your question, Australia is not a police state, you can carry as much cash as you want. Big amounts need to be declared at customs but that does not mean it is not allowed. It just strikes me as very stupid though. What if you lose it or are mugged?

Well I cannot see into the future better than anyone else, but if I were planning to move in April next year I would just wait and see what the exchange rate does. To me, it looks like it is slowly returning to its natural and more sustainable level after a few years of being overvalued and I expect it will continue to do so.

To your question, Australia is not a police state, you can carry as much cash as you want. Big amounts need to be declared at customs but that does not mean it is not allowed. It just strikes me as very stupid though. What if you lose it or are mugged?

Hi Rupert,

You are absolutely right. I am not thinking to bring tens of thousands of dollars in cash, just AUD 2-3000 each for both of us in cash and rest I will get it transferred to my NAB account. I just wanted to check if this is permissible as per Australian norms.

Regards.

Dear All,

I would be flying in April next year along with my spouse.

Since the AUD rate is on a lower side now, I am buying some AUDs from Forex dealers.

I was just interested to know about the permissible limits of cash in AUD.

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Anything over $10 000 has to be declared.

Hi Rupert,

You are absolutely right. I am not thinking to bring tens of thousands of dollars in cash, just AUD 2-3000 each for both of us in cash and rest I will get it transferred to my NAB account. I just wanted to check if this is permissible as per Australian norms.

Regards.

Yes that amount is fine. You only have to declare $10,000 or more (in any currency).