Should i apply for PR whilst im here in Australia now, or wait till im home in UK?

Elliott Banham

Hello, I am looking to apply for the skilled migration PR 189 visa, I work as a chef, currently still working in Perth. My temporary 2nd working holiday visa expires end of February.

I realise that because of my profession, that i need to choose either the 457 or PR subclass 189 (state sponsorship to WA). I am not interested in 457.

I know that i already pass the points score, i just need to do the skillselect then do my EOI

I'm undecided whether or not i should start this process whilst I'm in this country now - if its not already too late? (or wait to return to the UK and apply from the UK)

The only reason that i thought about applying for the PR visa in England, was that i can claim all my Superannuation payments back (a few thousand dollars) then use this money to apply for the visa.

A few questions...

if I applied in England, can I pay in australian dollars, or do i have to exchange my money to GBP (losing money)

If i had the permanent residency visa, how much time do i have to spend in WA each year (can i spend 2 months a year in the UK) I will want to become a citizen of Australia as soon as possible...

is it easier and less expensive to apply for this visa in Australia, or is it just as simple to apply outside of Australia. (will i find it harder applying in England)

I would really appreciate your opinion, I am really confused, and unsure where i can receive help.

Kind Regards,

HI

As far as i know

The visa you are looking to apply for could take up to 6 months to process. This don't include any of the time it takes to get all the relevant checks and medicals organised and back to lodge with your visa application and at this time of year i would have thought your pushing it.

If you apply in England you can pay with Australian $$ no problem. I'm sure you can use your AnZ card or Nab or who ever

To become a citizen you must

• have been living in Australia on a valid Australian visa for four years immediately before applying which must include the last 12 months as a permanent resident, and
  • not have been absent from Australia for more than one year in total, in the 4 year period, including no more than 90 days in the year before applying.

My sister 13 years before me and myself found anything to do with leaving the UK extremely difficult in the UK. However that is not to say that its going to be any more or less of a challenge for you.

Hope this helps

Thanks for your reply!

Perhaps i could at least do my SkillSelect before i leave??, then apply for my Superannuation return as soon as i land in England, then immediately apply for PR and aim for a quick return to WA.

I wished i had of applied earlier this year, then i would have been granted a bridging visa, allowing me to return home no problem and to Return again to Perth. AM i really too late for this?

All i need to do myself is SkillSelect and do my EOI, then hope they invite me to apply relatively soon after... then obviously wait for the process and decision.

Its more of a Superannuation question i guess, would i void my Superannuation return if I've already done an EOI ??

Do i confuse the application process if i apply whilst in Australia, then during the process i am in fact home in England?

NP

You have less then two months to lodge it. It may take that long to organize criminal history checks and medicals? took around 4 weeks to get ours back. You can pay extra to have them quicker.

I don't think you can release you super if you intend to return. Its only if you don't a bit like when you leave the UK there was some form i had to fill out and i had to declare that i did not intend to return to the UK for them to release anything owed to me. Even that took a fair while to hit my back account.

not sure if its any easier the other way round though.

Edited by jjgibbs

Thanks again, Releasing my Super funds is actually a quick process (they say), but yes i shouldnt show that i intend to return if im withdrawing them. Perhaps i should just wait. I hate the idea that ill be trapped in the UK with no clue on returning back to Australia! sounds like too much cold weather !!!

I believe the skillselect is $1000

my PR application $3500

plus medical/police clearances...

These prices are the same when applying IN the UK??

It's the 190 visa you are looking at - with the time frame currently - you may not have enough time to receive invitation to apply before WHV expires.

Do you already have a positive skills assessment - or sat the IELTS? As you haven't lodged EOI you have not been selected by WA and applied for nomination yet.

Also it is not as simple as leaving the country while on Bridging visa A - you need to apply and be granted Bridging visa B.

during this time if year everything slows down until feb.

Yeah sorry, it is infact the 190 visa I need...

Do i actually need to sit the IELTS? I thought that i didn't have to sit this test as i am English...

Having spent nearly two years here in Australia, it is time to go home and decide if all this is worth doing, i know that when i am in England i'll wish to be in Australia, but when im here i never feel as settled as i imagined (wish my family or UK friends were here too). Maybe i need to live in a better part of England (not Nottingham) perhaps London...

Problem is that i get paid a huge amount more here in Perth working as a chef, and only pennies in Nottingham...

I definitely live a better quality life here, shame its so far, and i wish there were more English migrating here

I did return to the UK last christmas for 3 months - i hated it, extremely cold and miserable, but thats winter...

secretly wish i could live in England again and be happy

but the possibilities in Australia are endless...

I am only 24, so i have a few years to decide...

Do you have positive skills assessment from TRA for your nominated occupation.

Holding a British passport meets the competent English requirement but no points are awarded - given your age, I would have expected you to require do extra points from the IELTS to meet the 60 points pass mark. Age- 25, qualification- 10, state nomination - 5. Work exp for 5 years - 10. Aus work exp for 1 yr - 5 total 55 so you would be 5 short

Work experience is post qualification or if did apprentiship first 5 years usually not counted.

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz

Hey Elliott,IELTS is something that became almost a must to qualify for PR due to the fact that before if you had a British or Irish passport you would get points for it, but many people have these passports and their level of English is very poor. So they changed the rules and made IELTS a points scoring area to qualify; so as an English speaker naturally you should do it. When you turn 25 you will be in the highest scoring age bracket for PR (25 - 32) which is 30pts and IELTS you can get 10pts for a 7 in each band (writing, reading, listening and speaking) or 20pts for an 8 in each band. Chefs do extremely well in Perth, it doesn't surprise me that you have found success there. My final advice is this..the application costs will be the same regardless of what country you apply in. If you have time left; do your TRA assessment in Oz, come back home and apply for PR. My cousin is a head chef in England and he knows he's being held back here.With the 190 state sponsorship visa, Western Australia Perth are sponsoring Chefs.

Guest Ryan the wizard of oz

This is very true. I mean you can bet your bottom dollar that their will be major changes again on the 1st of july 2014.

Edited by Ryan the wizard of oz

Hi Elliott, I came to OZ in 2008 and am now within a month or 2 of getting citizenship..!!

In some ways it does take a long time, as you are young it is only one chapter in your life though..

In my experience, the easier way to look at it is:----

if you stay in Oz for at least 3 months per year for 3 consecutive years and then 9 months in the 4th year you should be O.K. for Citizenship (obtain P.R. of course..!!)

Double check any info you receive as people may be wrong (including me..!!)even though they are trying to be helpful

Always remember to avoid trouble with the law and pay your bills etc....these things can stick with you and come back to haunt you if/when you apply for P.R. or Citizenship...

your Superannuation is there for your older age, of course, it is not much cash now but will be worth heaps when you are close to my age..!!

Cheers mate FNS

if you stay in Oz for at least 3 months per year for 3 consecutive years and then 9 months in the 4th year you should be O.K. for Citizenship (obtain P.R. of course..!!)

If anyone followed your advice above, they would have been absent for way more than 1 year in the last 4 years and thus would definitely not qualify for citizenship.

It would be better to say - if you stay in Oz for at least 9 months per year for 4 consecutive years you should be O.K. for Citizenship.