Never had a driving licence, can i get one?

TomasMykal

Thanks mate,

Mmm so ill need to be in oz for another two years for it to become a full licence..? What happens to it when my visa finishes in September ..?

If I can't take it home or hv it transferred at least ill be able to do a road trip before I leave

Does anyone know what I should do now, how do I get the ball rolling..?

Go to, or phone your nearest Road Traffic Authority office, if that is what they are called in NSW and have a chat with them, then apply for a Leaners Permit. You will have to know the road rules etc as I think that they may give you a test on the rules before issuing the licence. Once you have your Learners Permit, you can make arrangements with a Driving Instructor to take lessons, and when he thinks, or maybe you think, that you are good enough, you can apply to take the driving test. Good luck.

Of course you can. Same costs and rules will apply as if you are an Aussie. What you will want to check though is IF you can transfer it to a uk one when you go back as Aussie ones count as provisional for the first two years.

Seriously? So if my daughter (just passed her driving test in Qld) returns to UK within 2 years, she will need to re-take her test? Or will she just have to display the equivalent of P plates??

Thanks guys

I looked it up and if you are over 30 you are exempt from the minimumhour and log book rules.

I can drive so hopefully Ill be able to get a full licence in six months

Does anyone know what happens to the licence once I leave..is it still vaild overseas..?

Seriously? So if my daughter (just passed her driving test in Qld) returns to UK within 2 years, she will need to re-take her test? Or will she just have to display the equivalent of P plates??

My daughter went to England whilst on her Aussie Ps and was told she could just drive without any Ps over there.

• 4 weeks later...

This may not be relevant, but when I went from Africa back to the UK, I got myself an international driving licence. The African licence was still probationary but there was no provision to show that on the international licence. When I presented the international licence in the UK, they gave me a full licence no questions asked.

May not be so slack now but you never know...

have a look at the Vic roads website (for Victoria drivers) they will advise. From what I can see a Thai license is not recognised.

To to be honest if you havnt driven before you would be best getting some lessons - even if the Thai licence was sufficient. Trying to drive through melbourne and knowing the rules is quite important eg knowing how and what a hook turn is

An NSW probationary licence can be converted to a full UK licence as soon as you come to live in the UK (with a British passport, that's any time. With an Australian passport you'll need a settlement visa).

Actually, it's not really the licence that the DVLA needs, they want the proof of passing the test in NSW - so don't throw it away and bring it back with you!

You could always advertise for someone to do a road trip with. As a new driver undertaking such a big drive on sometimes conditions I'd be cautious. Having said that even if you so your licence here and it doesn't count at home it's put you in good stead to pass when you get back - good luck :)

Archived