Retail Staff and cashing up ..... What are your thoughts on .....

Love Shoes

Should retail staff count their bosses money in their own time ....  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Should retail staff count their bosses money in their own time ....

• Yes
    • No

Should employers expect retail staff to cash up, I.e., count their money in the employees own time?

Its one of those things that has annoyed me for years, I used to work in an off licence many moons ago, we closed at 10 pm, then cashed up in our own time, on a good night we could leave 20 minutes later, but if the books didn't balance well it was anybody's guess ....

very often we see closed shops, and the assistants cashing up, I doubt very much they are being paid for this. It's that age old thing of invisible work hours, not fair in my honest opinion, yet the world over sales staff are counting their bosses money in their own time ..... A shop is expected to open till say 5.30 pm, lights on, sales staff prepared for customers, at 5.30 pm the advertising boards .... If there are any come in, the door closes and the key turns in the lock ..... And the sales assistant starts counting ( in their own time ) do you think this is fair, .......

Edited by Love Shoes

If the shops close at 5.30 how do you know the staff isnt paid till 6? And if the till was right in the morning and not at night then obviously it was their mistake and they need to find it.

I don't mean mistakes, I mean generally, I work in retail and am paid until the door closes, and do not get paid for closing the days business, so I can't agree with you, when I worked in retail years ago, I cashed up in my own time ...... Even if their were no cock ups, this might turn into one of those threads

I went for a job interview once for assistant manager at an accessories shop. In the interview they told me the hours were 9-5.30. They then said that at 5:30 it would be my job to cash up with would take about 15 minutes. So The conversations goes:

Me: 'so I would be paid until 5.45 then'.

Them:'No, only until 5:30'.

Me: 'so you want me to work quarter if an hour a day, unpaid, so an hour and a quarter each week, for 48 weeks a year? That's a lot of unpaid hours.'

Them: 'ummmm yes'.

Funnily enough I didn't get the job, but I had made it perfectly understandable by my sarcastic tone that this wasn't going to happen lol.

But no, I don't think it is right. I don't actually get how they get away with it when there are legal minimum wages.

ive been in the service industry for 30 years and iv always had to till up in my own time and if it dosnt balance becuse some one has made a mistake i had to find the mistake , and in some cases do the book work and wages and tax etc .

about 7 years ago i had enough and changed jobs i dont manage salons any more i just do my job and leave at the end of the day , which suits me

i dont think its fair and i think people should be compensated for their time , but it is whats expected

I went for a job interview once for assistant manager at an accessories shop. In the interview they told me the hours were 9-5.30. They then said that at 5:30 it would be my job to cash up with would take about 15 minutes. So The conversations goes:

Me: 'so I would be paid until 5.45 then'.

Them:'No, only until 5:30'.

Me: 'so you want me to work quarter if an hour a day, unpaid, so an hour and a quarter each week, for 48 weeks a year? That's a lot of unpaid hours.'

Them: 'ummmm yes'.

Funnily enough I didn't get the job, but I had made it perfectly understandable by my sarcastic tone that this wasn't going to happen lol.

But no, I don't think it is right. I don't actually get how they get away with it when there are legal minimum wages.

your spot on here, it's just unpaid work, and as you say with laws regarding minimum wages, this one just sucks, ..... I just wish there was something I could do to bring it in the open and have it stopped as it really p's me off .....

Guest Guest26012

No, I don't think they should do it in their own time. It's wrong. Having said that, in my profession we often work overtime without being paid but it's accepted as there are times we get off early so it's swings and roundabouts tbh. But in retail, it should be paid.

ive been in the service industry for 30 years and iv always had to till up in my own time and if it dosnt balance becuse some one has made a mistake i had to find the mistake , and in some cases do the book work and wages and tax etc .

about 7 years ago i had enough and changed jobs i dont manage salons any more i just do my job and leave at the end of the day , which suits me

i dont think its fair and i think people should be compensated for their time , but it is whats expected

Yes i I spent nearly 45 minutes a few weeks ago trying to remedy someone else's cock up .... Not funny ..... And it can say with 100% certainty it wasn't my mistake ....

No, I don't think they should do it in their own time. It's wrong. Having said that, in my profession we often work overtime without being paid but it's accepted as there are times we get off early so it's swings and roundabouts tbh. But in retail, it should be paid.

Yes I don't mind working overtime if I choose to, I.e., if a customer comes in late, great, it's a possible sale, and I am nearly always 30 minutes early, that is my choice, and that doesn't bother me, but it's that expectation / necessity that bugs me ...

If the shops close at 5.30 how do you know the staff isnt paid till 6? And if the till was right in the morning and not at night then obviously it was their mistake and they need to find it.

Sometimes shops only have one staff member, so it's not the cock ups ( which I am sure any perp would sort before leaving )

Lots of people do unpaid extra work in their own time. I don't see a problem with it. I worked in retail when I was younger and really it was part and parcel of the job.

I work extra in my own time Sammy of my own choosing, actually get joy out of it, especially when the till is opening ..... But my point is the exploitation of staff, it's unfair .... And really we shouldn't be expected to work for free unless we choose to, ....

Staff aren't paid, plural. If you have to be a capitalist, please get your grammar right.

Your second sentence does not survive logical scrutiny.

If the doors slam shut at "x" o'clock, how can you count the cash in zero time?

You appear to assume every single shopworker has their own private, individual till, that cashes up in zero time, otherwise how can you be so sure it was "their mistake and they need to find it."

What happens for part time workers, say one person works the morning, and one the afternoo

Edited by The Fisheys

I work extra in my own time Sammy of my own choosing, actually get joy out of it, especially when the till is opening ..... But my point is the exploitation of staff, it's unfair .... And really we shouldn't be expected to work for free unless we choose to, ....

The reality is though that the vast majority of jobs require some unpaid work time.

Yes it is called "time off in lieu," or TOIL, but this is only really available in the higher end of jobs.

My daughter worked part time at Myer while she was at uni and although the store closed at 5:30 she was paid till 6pm because they weren't allowed to start counting cash etc until all the customers had left the store and the doors were locked.

When she worked in a small boutique she was only paid till 5:30. Being a small boutique there were days when she didn't have a lot to do and she was paid for simply being there so I don't think it was unreasonable to expect her to cash up in her 'own time'.

Edited by Freckleface
iPad sp

The reality is though that the vast majority of jobs require some unpaid work time.

Yes I know that, and I am the first to give the extra hours and buy stuff for work ( as I have done recently .... But that's my choice ) but it's the expectation that ..... staff work unpaid and are expected to, I don't necessarily speak for myself but am generalising, ..because tbh I am only going home to cook tea .. I think it's exploitation, and I always will, it is extremely capitalist and people who support it are condoning capitalism in its worst form.

Edited by Love Shoes

Staff aren't paid, plural. If you have to be a capitalist, please get your grammar right.

Your second sentence does not survive logical scrutiny.

If the doors slam shut at "x" o'clock, how can you count the cash in zero time?

You appear to assume every single shopworker has their own private, individual till, that cashes up in zero time, otherwise how can you be so sure it was "their mistake and they need to find it."

What happens for part time workers, say one person works the morning, and one the afternoon.

i don't think you actually have a clue what you are talking about, which is fine, but most of us don't spout off when we do not know what we are talking about.

Bad post.

By the things you post on here you definately dont know what your talking about 90% of the time - pot kettle black!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am done so dont bother retaliating

Slavery is actually still illegal in Australia following the Abolition of Slavery Act 1833. Intriguingly, this law was repealed by no less than Tony Blair in the UK, but remains on the statute books in Australia.

Frankly if you "don't see a problem with it," that says a lot more about you, (none of it good), than I would be rude enough to say.

Oh please. I am a professional and I work lots of unpaid hours.

When I was young I worked in retail and as I said it is part and parcel of the job. By the way,you have no need to worry, your rudeness comes through frequently on here without a problem. Your response to AJ being a prime example.