Killer Indian labels Australia racist

Guest Guest66881

Guest Guest66881

New Delhi — A lawyer for an Indian driver who fled Australia after a fatal car accident said Wednesday his client would not get a fair trial if extradited because of hatred towards Indian students.

Anil Mittal, lawyer for Puneet Puneet, told a New Delhi court he opposed his client's extradition to Melbourne to face trial because of the "hatred towards Indian students in Australia".

Mittal cited hate messages on Australian social media sites against Puneet as evidence that his life would be threatened if he returned and that he would not receive a fair trial.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/vic/a/20394030/killer-indian-driver-accuses-australia-of-hatred/

Is this because Australia tightened it's rules on student visas recently? Wasn't there a lot of fraud found from Indian students providing false qualifications?

no nothing to do with it.

Surely you have heard about Puneet Puneet in the news.

In Australia on a learners permit, with a blood alocohol reading of about .0165, he was doing 150kmh down St Kilda Rd and killed a Gold coast student and seriously wounded one other.

He pleaded guilty to culpable driving but was released on bail. He fled to India on his mates passport before sentencing and been on the run for 4 years.

Obviously he doesn't want to return to Australia and serve his punishment so is making all sorts of accusation to try and avoid extradition.

Yes I would agree with all the above. In this case he is clutching straws in an attempt to prevent being returned to Australia to face criminal proceedings.

Racism has nothing to do with the case. He may use race in an attempt to block that return if can show that he would be unfairly treated under the judicial system here. The case of the Indian doctor wrongly charged suddenly sprung to mind though. When was that? About four years back perhaps?

no nothing to do with it.

Surely you have heard about Puneet Puneet in the news.

In Australia on a learners permit, with a blood alocohol reading of about .0165, he was doing 150kmh down St Kilda Rd and killed a Gold coast student and seriously wounded one other.

He pleaded guilty to culpable driving but was released on bail. He fled to India on his mates passport before sentencing and been on the run for 4 years.

Obviously he doesn't want to return to Australia and serve his punishment so is making all sorts of accusation to try and avoid extradition.

Not heard of the case tbh parley. Lawyers are the same everywhere aren't they, they have a job to do and use any argument to win their case. I suppose if we got him extradited we would only end up paying for the git while he spent his term in jail. The after good behaviour he'll be out in a year or so and then the human rights brigade would be on the case saying how it would be against his rights to cancel his visa and send him back. Probably use the same excuse of his life being in danger if he got sent back.

Tough call I know but leave him there.

Is this because Australia tightened it's rules on student visas recently? Wasn't there a lot of fraud found from Indian students providing false qualifications?

No, its because crimes against Indians was highly disproportionate to their share in population in Melbourne some time back.

So a lawyer says something to protect his client ( which I suppose is not unique to India) and it gets extrapolated to an entire nation? And is Visa fraud unique only to a country? Which country leads in the number of visa over-stayers?

The rules were tightened because there were some dodgy colleges which were taking advantage of the situation by offering easier courses towards occupation on SOL ( like cookery and hair dressing) and the financial component was made tighter so that only students who had funds to cover the costs were issued visas as some of the students had no funds to cover their education and had to work late at night in risky jobs which led to them being attacked. And this led to a short term drop in student numbers, but there were increase in student numbers that were enrolled in the universities for Graduate and Post Graduate studies.

India and Australia have an extradition treaty, which I'm sure Indian government wouldn't have signed if it felt that its citizens won't get fair trial in Australia.

Ordinarily, I'd say leave him there. But if it was someone I knew that he had killed, I want him brought to Australia to be found guilty and imprisoned here.

Obv, his 'race' fears are nothing but a tactic, as they usually are.

he was a learner driver with twice the legal limit (and that's for a full license holder).

On top of that, he was driving at nearly 140 Km/hr in a 60 km/hr zone during the fatal crash.

And on top of that, he escaped justice by using his mate's passport to travel on a one way ticket.

He deserves no sympathy.

It's funny how threads on a forum often join up. Maybe that's why they get their name.

So, let's just recap:

A man carries out a reckless action which ends up in anothers' death. He absconds from the judicial system and seeks refuge in a foreign country. Then he tries every trick in the book to avoid extradition.

Is he:

a) a lovable rogue

b) an irresponsible coward.

I must admit I have not heard of it before, I was wondering if there had been a genuine retaliation to Indian Students in particular ? But it does sound like a good excuse didn't the wife of the Aussie being threatened with deportation in England say the same, that she was of Indian heritage and was afraid to come to Australia.

I must admit I have not heard of it before, I was wondering if there had been a genuine retaliation to Indian Students in particular ? But it does sound like a good excuse didn't the wife of the Aussie being threatened with deportation in England say the same, that she was of Indian heritage and was afraid to come to Australia.

A minor correction. It was the Aussie husband who said that. The wife ( who is British of Indian Heritage) was not a party to the case.

Archived