Great Train Robber Ronnie Biggs has died.

Parley

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was a minor player in the raid, and looked down on by the real criminals in the gang, as he had only been brought in as he could drive a train (which had to be moved a short distance from the hijacking site to Bridego Bridge where the money could be unloaded). Another gang member was recruited after boasting he could change train signals - only to reveal his 'skill' was clambering onto the overhead gantry and holding a coloured filter in front of the signal...

A fascinating tale all the same. When I lived in Melbourne I always wanted to visit the Doncaster house where Biggs lived incognito with his family for quite a while. I believe his son (or was it stepson) was killed at a fairly young age in a carcrash at an intersection on what is now the Eastlink.

seems a strange comment, slating criminals.

this land we all come to this website to love, and aspire to come to has a somewhat criminal background.

those free thinking enough to commit crime, have done a pretty good job of the place :)

maybe it's the followers who just go with the flow, who need to take a look in the mirror?

Guest Guest66881
seems a strange comment, slating criminals.

this land we all come to this website to love, and aspire to come to has a somewhat criminal background.

those free thinking enough to commit crime, have done a pretty good job of the place :)

maybe it's the followers who just go with the flow, who need to take a look in the mirror?

Whose your comments pointed at mate?

Whose your comments pointed at mate?

toss a coin lol. a general comment.

just seems a little odd to bash criminals when we spend most days admiring their work.

i'm not suggesting a life of crime, far from it.

It's a career like any other, sadly its one that chooses you rather than you choosing it.

For the most part people are decent, when there is little in the way of work and a good outlook, creative people tend to look beyond the obvious.

I wonder if it was this creativity, in the light of freedom, that built Australia the way it is today?

I never romanticise criminals.

well done.

But, Ive got a life and Ronnie biggs and a lot of the London crims were a part of my early years as a youngster, and it was no different to how the aussies think about Ned Kelly. (born and bred cockney, and know more than you will ever read in the daily mail)

Should read: how some of the Aussies.

Ned Kelly shot a policeman and let him bleed to death. What a hero.

I'm not going to argue the toss about ned because its a never ending discussion. He is still an Australian folk hero and biggs is a british folk hero.

Archived