Boat race protester allowed to stay in UK

Penelope Pitstop

I must say this doesn't seem fair.

How come this guy is allowed to stay in the UK when he has broken the law (so publicly) when any British citizen with an Australian spouse now has a really hard time of it if they want their spouse to live in the UK. Also I am sure the Australian govt wouldn't be as generous if the situation were reversed.

Also one reason for not wanting to go back to Australia is because he claimed "Australia was a racist country and his British born wife Deepa Naik, who is of Indian descent, and his five-month-old daughter would be discriminated against if they were forced to move back with him." !!!!!!!!

OK I know Australia does have some problems with racism but the thousands of Indians who are busting a gut to emigrate to Australia obviously wouldn't agree with him.

http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/boat-race-protester-welcomes-u-turn-1

Common sense prevails... It was ridiculous to even think about throwing him out the country for interrupting the toffs boat race while we have Al-Queda members openly preaching hate and encouraging murder on our own streets and the wimpy government are too scared to do anything about it yet they throw the book at the daft geezer who decided to swim in front of the priverlaged kids boats.

Guest Guest16631

......he was punished for his crime........he served 6 months.....

......what he did was wrong............the boat race people were not responsible for the wrongs he was protesting about....

......but I do think he was punished enough.....

......a rash stunt.......but for a cause he believed in.....

.......shame he targeted a group who too .......we're just innocently enjoying their right to enjoy their pastime.......IMO....!

I agree that he didn't do that much wrong and there are many others who should be deported who aren't.

My annoyance is that he is allowed to stay whereas the British government now has a very uncompromising approach to non-EU spouses of British citizens (which he is), who are discriminated against more than non-EU spouses of EU citizens.

"Under European law, EU nationals living in this country are allowed to bring in spouses or partners and their families from anywhere in the world with no checks or qualifications. But British citizens who want to bring in a wife, husband or partner and family from abroad must first show they have an income of £18,600 or more to guarantee their dependants will not become a burden on the taxpayer."

I think he should be thrown out for calling Aus racist, there are racists in every country and I find this excuse to stay in a country very weak. Guess that could open the flood gates for anyone with a spouse who is of different ethnicity to stay in the UK.

:wink:

I agree that he didn't do that much wrong and there are many others who should be deported who aren't.

My annoyance is that he is allowed to stay whereas the British government now has a very uncompromising approach to non-EU spouses of British citizens (which he is), who are discriminated against more than non-EU spouses of EU citizens.

"Under European law, EU nationals living in this country are allowed to bring in spouses or partners and their families from anywhere in the world with no checks or qualifications. But British citizens who want to bring in a wife, husband or partner and family from abroad must first show they have an income of £18,600 or more to guarantee their dependants will not become a burden on the taxpayer."

Is there anything to suggest that he did not meet the criteria? He is working so nothing to suggest he does not meet that particular criteria. I don't know why he should need to use the racism argument, he has a wife and child in UK and has a job, this sounds enough to me.

I am not up to speed with UK migration law, but is that bit about the EU national really true .... it doesn't ring true?

Guest guest30085

No idea on the legalities of it .. but he's lived here 10 years, then being faced with deportation for swimming in front of a couple of boats?! I didn't realise he'd got six months! For what?

I'd have given him a pat on the back :cute::laugh:

Is there anything to suggest that he did not meet the criteria? He is working so nothing to suggest he does not meet that particular criteria. I don't know why he should need to use the racism argument, he has a wife and child in UK and has a job, this sounds enough to me.

I am not up to speed with UK migration law, but is that bit about the EU national really true .... it doesn't ring true?

There is a loophole by which you apparantly can get in to the UK and get the better treatment given to EU citizens known as the Surinder Singh route, you have to go and work in the Eu first......

http://www.ukmarriagevisa.com/eea-family-permit-surinder-singh-route-and-its-implications-for-british-citizens.html

"If a British citizen works in another EU member state (this is taken as a reasonable length of time but in fact there is no definitive timescale laid down in law) and has their non-EU wife or partner and/or children join them there, on their return to the UK the family can come with them on an EEA family permit perfectly legally and without meeting the financial threshold as required under the UK settlement visa rules. This is because EU economic treaty rights allow this and EU law always comes first above UK law – this applies in all member states that agree that this will be the case when they join the EU."

I hope it indicates a more humane approach to these situations - read this to see what a shambles the UK Border Agency have become

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/fury-at-border-agency-over-case-of-the-australian-nhs-therapist-given-just-a-few-days-to-leave-britain-8935743.html

That is just a newspaper story and it can be presented any way the writer wishes. It doesn't even mention why she has not been granted leave to stay. There was a newspaper article recently about a UK couple that were having to leave Australia because they didnot comply with the terms of their regional visa. Of course their non compliance with the visa was not mentioned and instead the Australian immigration services were being presented as being very unfair and cruel.

So yes, I take these stories with a pinch of salt and hence my scepticism over this thing about EU citizens being able to bring in anyone unchecked whilst a British citizen can not. As I say though, I am not up to speed with UK immigration law and would be interested to see some evidence, but not newspaper stories.

We crossed posts then, I will read your new link soon. But I did once look into this before briefly when i read something like this and I found that the non EU spouse would have some hoops to jump through in Europe before they got to UK.

But I did once look into this before briefly when i read something like this and I found that the non EU spouse would have some hoops to jump through in Europe before they got to UK.

The non EU spouse does have to jump some hoops yes, but the EEA Family Permit is free (as opposed to approx A$1200 for a UK Spouse Visa) plus there is no financial requirement in terms of minimum income or savings.

Common sense prevails... It was ridiculous to even think about throwing him out the country for interrupting the toffs boat race while we have Al-Queda members openly preaching hate and encouraging murder on our own streets and the wimpy government are too scared to do anything about it yet they throw the book at the daft geezer who decided to swim in front of the priverlaged kids boats.

Exactly. He has lived in UK for ten years has a family there, was given grand references , seems to be some sort of academic, and besides is not a fan of Australia.

I think he should be thrown out for calling Aus racist, there are racists in every country and I find this excuse to stay in a country very weak. Guess that could open the flood gates for anyone with a spouse who is of different ethnicity to stay in the UK.

:wink:

He left Australia some ten years ago. It was a rather common to hear Australia being described as racist back then. Both by those born here and those visiting. I heard it a lot.

I'm delighted to be able to get back to my work and spend time with my family,"

Be interesting to hear what this guys "work" is as it just says Australian activist in the first paragraph. Keep him, the UK is welcome to him. All the article is doing is giving the bloke more rein to spout his views. Like his argument about Aus being racist.

his British born wife Deepa Naik, who is of Indian descent, and his five-month-old daughter would be discriminated against if they were forced to move back with him."Australia to Deepa... is a particularly racist country," he said.

Then, further down,

He said his wife had never been to Australia and had no interest in doing so.

Be interesting to hear what this guys "work" is as it just says Australian activist in the first paragraph. Keep him, the UK is welcome to him. All the article is doing is giving the bloke more rein to spout his views. Like his argument about Aus being racist.

Then, further down,

He works in disabilities and researches inequality I believe in the UK. He is very English in speech. He is fully entitled to reflect his views on Australian racism surely? Hardly original, although as I mentioned he has been away ten years so the landscape has changed.

His speech is very English from what I heard of him speaking he is very well suited to England in both mind and temperament.

Archived