UK workers are too lazy - bosses want more migration

paulv

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For certain jobs, I can well believe it to be fair.

Watched a documentary on the telly about something similar. Had 4 or 5 UK business leaders advertising jobs to see how many ‘UK’ applicants there were.

It was embarrassing. The applications themselves were appalling, the standard of interview given was poor, some walked out of the interview after being told they would be working 37 hours a week, some walked out after being told that they had to start at 9am, some walked out after being told how much they would earn in a week etc.

For one of the jobs, a bloke was appointed but never turned up on the Monday morning because it was raining. And then never turned up at all.

If it had been a sit-com, it would have been hilarious. But, it wasn’t.

Who knows how real such reality type doco's are? Business everywhere want more immigrants. The reasons are more profound than the inability at being able to access workers at home, at least in many circumstances.

All part of the brave new world without borders that business feels they should be able to access whoever from wherever at whatever cost they can get away with.

Every country has their fair share of bludgers!I'd give the umemployed 3 mths to get a job,and if they don't?Cut the benefits.There are jobs out there,we all know this,but certain people just refuse to work in them!
The problem with the jobs at the low end of the market such as the service sector are the wages are far to low and should be at least doubled to allow for a reasonable standard of living.

What benefits would bringing in people from Eastern Europe give us?

It would push down or at best keep wages where they are now

It would keep those already out of work on the dole queue and still claiming

It would make those at the top of the company and share holders richer

It would put the services such as schools, roads, the police, hospitals, doctors etc at even more of a stretch

It would push crime up because whatever percentage of those allowed in will without doubt commit a crime

etc etc etc

Can someone please explain the benefits of bringing in cheap European labour apart from lining the pockets of the already rich?

It would put the services such as schools, roads, the police, hospitals, doctors etc at even more of a stretch

It would push crime up because whatever percentage of those allowed in will without doubt commit a crime

etc etc etc

Can someone please explain the benefits of bringing in cheap European labour apart from lining the pockets of the already rich?

Sounds very similar to much of Australia's immigration policy:laugh:

Every country has their fair share of bludgers!I'd give the umemployed 3 mths to get a job,and if they don't?Cut the benefits.There are jobs out there,we all know this,but certain people just refuse to work in them!

Welcome to the UK and Ian Duncan Smith who is making this happen

Well everybody has to start somewhere.I'd rather be cleaning dunnies than claiming the dole!

Probably unlikely to get such a job and possibly would find it hard to live on the pay. While there may be glory in work there is not glory in work at any price. Nothing wrong with being a cleaner but you may require a degree of respect to go with the job meaning a liveable wage.

Every country as there rip of employers as well. About a quarter of a century ago I worked behind the scenes for a government department that linked long term unemployed with business. They(business) were paid a considerable sum(making up a percentage of their wages) to employ these folk with the hope they would get on the permanent books of the employer once the subsidy had run its time, but sadly it was clear a rort was going on with so many laid off as the grant was nearing its end. Sometime later a number of the same employers would repeat the process. For whatever reason the government continued with the façade when it was clear in many cases it was being rorted.

As such I'm always very dubious when I hear such comments from UK employers. A lot of the bludgers (awful Aussie expression,

I find) can just as surely be found wearing a collar and tie. No UK doesn't want to cut benefits just ensure they are going to the right people.

In no way should go down the American path. UK can do far better than that.

Besides the fact theres only 500,000 so called "jobs" to split between 2,5 million unemployed anyway

Exactly, so what bozo thinks it's a great idea to bring in a load of cheap labour, oh yeah i know, big bosses who want more profit, silly me :wacko:

Exactly, so what bozo thinks it's a great idea to bring in a load of cheap labour, oh yeah i know, big bosses who want more profit, silly me :wacko:

Bosses are always going to want it aren't they,whether its in the national interest or not,they have a vested interest in shareholders and profits obviously,so i would never take their word on whether it was needed or not tbh mate

The problem with the jobs at the low end of the market such as the service sector are the wages are far to low and should be at least doubled to allow for a reasonable standard of living.

What benefits would bringing in people from Eastern Europe give us?

etc etc etc

So if you put the wages of those people up to say £12.50 what then do you do to the people that earn say £10-12 p/h? I agree that the minimum wage is too low, but you double it just like that and it will not and can not be sustained.

Probably unlikely to get such a job and possibly would find it hard to live on the pay. While there may be glory in work there is not glory in work at any price. Nothing wrong with being a cleaner but you may require a degree of respect to go with the job meaning a liveable wage.

I can recall watching doco.It was based in Lincoln.Alot of the locals were whinging that the polish community were taking their jobs (mainly picking fruit and veg).The reporter stood outside the jobcentre one morning and asked the people coming out of the building if there were any jobs.When most of them said no,the reporter then gave them the info of local jobs veg and fruit picking.All of them said they would'nt do and that they would rather sit on the dole.Ok fine but I'm sure if the polish community are able to do it,why not the natives?The polish community seem to do ok on the wages.

So if you put the wages of those people up to say £12.50 what then do you do to the people that earn say £10-12 p/h? I agree that the minimum wage is too low, but you double it just like that and it will not and can not be sustained.
I don't know, what i am saying is the minimum wage is to low and should be a lot higher to cover the rise in living costs over the last few years and to stop people living in poverty, what you do with people earning £10-£12 an hour is irrelevant to what i am saying.

I don't know, what i am saying is the minimum wage is to low and should be a lot higher to cover the rise in living costs over the last few years and to stop people living in poverty, what you do with people earning £10-£12 an hour is irrelevant to what i am saying.

No it's not its very relevant. You can't make a comment to say double the minimum wage and then say the people that earn that type of money is irrelevant. Those people are going to expect a pay rise as well. Sorry mate but its not quite as easy as you think it is. I think the costs or certain things should be reigned in first, that might help. Europe as a whole improving financially will help as well.

No it's not its very relevant. You can't make a comment to say double the minimum wage and then say the people that earn that type of money is irrelevant. Those people are going to expect a pay rise as well. Sorry mate but its not quite as easy as you think it is. I think the costs or certain things should be reigned in first, that might help. Europe as a whole improving financially will help as well.

I wouldnt expect a pay rise if the minimum wage earners were put on £10 an hour,its not my money thats too low,its that theirs are too low

I wouldnt expect a pay rise if the minimum wage earners were put on £10 an hour,its not my money thats too low,its that theirs are too low

And when the minimum wage goes to £12.50 what do you think will happen to the price of everything? And yes, before you say it, I agree prices shouldn't go up but you and I both know they will.supply and demand, as people can afford more demand will go up, as demand goes up so do prices. It's happening slowly in our industry now.

I am saying it is irrelevant to what I was saying re minimum wage, my point is that the minimum wage is far to low regardless of what anyone else earns.

And when the minimum wage goes to £12.50 what do you think will happen to the price of everything? And yes, before you say it, I agree prices shouldn't go up but you and I both know they will.supply and demand, as people can afford more demand will go up, as demand goes up so do prices. It's happening slowly in our industry now.

So whats your suggestion then, the last few rises to minimum wage have been insulting to say the least and would not even cover the extra cost of keeping warm?

Archived