Lifestyle Changes, the Outdoors and Fitness - what do you enjoy in Oz?

audre

Hello lovely PIO people

I have a question on lifestyle changes which you anticipate or have experienced after making the move to OZ. there has been some talk about preferring the weather and the outdoors, the sunshine and vast open spaces...

i'd love to take up hiking / bushwalking and generally have a more outdoors-oriented lifestyle.

so I am wondering: what lifestyle change did you make / notice?

specifically, did you take up any particular sports or acquired new fitness habits?

do you feel better / healthier? any recommendations? :laugh:

Interesting - the assumption always is that you will do more outside with a move. For a number of us the converse is true and it has taken a move back to UK's generally less ferocious weather to do all those outdoor things. In Aus I spent summers inside with the windows and curtains closed to keep the heat out and went to air conditioned places in an air conditioned car. Here in England I walk every day - it's not yet been too hot/cold/wet to go out with appropriate clothing. If you are an outdoorsy kinda chap in UK you will probably be the same in Aus. If you aren't in UK you probably won't be in Aus once the novelty wears off. I have lost 50kg due to the healthier eating and more exercise in UK!

It depends where you will be but i was pretty fit before emmigrating and piled on the pounds. I'm now running 5k a day and lost quite a bit but in Qld you have to be up very early as it gets too hot to do anything. If i'm not running by 5am its too late as the sun and the humidity can be horrible, particularly now and for the whole of summer.

I tried swimming which I love but had to stop as I was getting sunburn, even with putting sun cream on.

i was definitely fitter in England!

I have to agree, it can be way too hot to want to do anything. Even early in the morning at the height of summer.

I go to the gym more now, but that's just because I've suddenly decided to get fit. That would have happened in the uk too.

I go for far less walks than I ever did in the uk.

Hello lovely PIO people

I have a question on lifestyle changes which you anticipate or have experienced after making the move to OZ. there has been some talk about preferring the weather and the outdoors, the sunshine and vast open spaces...

i'd love to take up hiking / bushwalking and generally have a more outdoors-oriented lifestyle.

so I am wondering: what lifestyle change did you make / notice?

specifically, did you take up any particular sports or acquired new fitness habits?

do you feel better / healthier? any recommendations? :laugh:

No I do not feel any better or healthier, I feel exactly the same. I spend no more or less time outside than I ever did, I take no more or less exercise than I ever did. That is because those things are down to me, not the country I am in.

I used to be quite serious about my walking and did all year round in UK at one point, but then I stopped. I can't imagine walking all year round here, I think for six months of the year the heat and humidity would stop me.

I find it is mainly people that have not yet made the move that talk about being more outdoorsy and sporty.

Since getting to Oz I've taking up canoeing which I do on a fortnightly basis, I'm in the pool most days and have taken advantage of early morning sunshine going for walks, none of which I done in the Uk, could have done the walk but would have had to take car somewhere first as no nice walking areas where I lived. I've lost about a stone since being here. Bikes should be arriving any day now, hardly used in UK but the roads here lovely and wide will feel much safer. I eat healthier as not as big a choice of convenience foods and don't snack on biscuits etc here. There's lovely forests nearby for walking on a weekend.

So yes for me a big change in for me and for better, feel great! Honeymoon period? Maybe, but for now I'm loving it

thanks for the responses - those are all valid points and interesting thoughts!

i know it can get too hot to do much during the day (depending on where one lives) but it will be great to feel some warmth and fresh air.

when it is dark and dreary in the beautiful but bitterly cold north of the UK with only a few hours of daylight (overcast daylight!!) and a winter cold that lasts a good 6 months, i do crave the sunshine!

canoeing sounds fantastic - so does cycling!

at the moment,i do less exercise in Australia than i did in the UK and have in the normal week to week , i have a less outdoorsy lifestyle in the sense of running around physical activity. my daily commute now involves a car drive rather than a cycle ride as was the case in London ( and at first here until i moved offices ) and i have put on over about 8kg as i am also a greedy sod.

the good intentions i came with to become a super fit adonis havent been followed through in my daily routine, i should make more of an effort really . the food here is too good not to be tempted, i find aussie food of all descriptions irresistable, it's a bit of a problem!

i managed to give up smoking after moving down under which has been a real achievement in maintaining health and you are right the fresh clean air does work wonders for the spirit and mood.

l australia is an amazingly beautiful country and the oppportunities are all there for the taking if you organise yourself properly and can find a routine where it works. the opportunities and facilities for outdoor activities and sports are better than anywhere else in the world. Just done be too hard on yourself if your expecations of a new fitter you don't work out in reality! it doesnt happen by magic!! :-)

Best of luck!

thanks for the responses - those are all valid points and interesting thoughts!

i know it can get too hot to do much during the day (depending on where one lives) but it will be great to feel some warmth and fresh air.

when it is dark and dreary in the beautiful but bitterly cold north of the UK with only a few hours of daylight (overcast daylight!!) and a winter cold that lasts a good 6 months, i do crave the sunshine!

canoeing sounds fantastic - so does cycling!

In the heat of summer it doesn't cool down at night. You are knackered because you can't sleep properly, even with air con, and when you walk outside you feel like someone just opened a large fan oven door.

It is just as bad as the cold, although personally I find it easier to keep warm than to keep cool.

Not fitness, but I do have a little boat here and go fishing. Nowhere near as often as we'd like though as often it is too windy. On those beautiful warm, still days though it's great. :-)

this sounds realistic and really useful! it is true - expecting myself to magically become (to paraphrase jimmyay1) a super-fit wonderwoman might not happen without some proper investment although the sunshine and warmth might help. and the beautiful natural wealth Oz has to offer!

• 2 weeks later...

We're better here than we ever were over in the UK. There is something about a sunny day that makes you want to be outside. In the UK we used to scrunch up in front of the fire and the telly or go down to the pub or shops mostly. Sometimes in Summer we would go for a nice walk but not that often. If you did it was crowded and the paths were full of doggy doo. It doesn't rain so much here and you really have no excuses for staying indoors. That's just us .

I am doing a lot less outdoor activities than I ever have due to the weather. It's too hot and humid by 6am to do anything (for me) I used to live in a cottage in a woodland in Essex so I was running and mountain biking everyday, gym most nights, drive to Devon for a surf and travelled to Europe and America to snow board. Now I "surf" in the crappiest waves I've ever had to, hardly ever hike, never run, never mountain bike, never road bike. It's just one big hot urban sprawl here (Sunshine coast) so not very inviting for cycling, my advice is to look at England with a fresh perspective before you move here. If you are thinking that getting fit and healthy is a main goal for moving, then don't! You'd be better off moving somewhere like Snowdon or North Devon and having the countryside on hand, the weather to enjoy it and stil have familly and friends close by.

If I could give myself one bit of advice through time it would be don't ever come to Australia.

But you may like it, good luck

I am doing a lot less outdoor activities than I ever have due to the weather. It's too hot and humid by 6am to do anything (for me) I used to live in a cottage in a woodland in Essex so I was running and mountain biking everyday, gym most nights, drive to Devon for a surf and travelled to Europe and America to snow board. Now I "surf" in the crappiest waves I've ever had to, hardly ever hike, never run, never mountain bike, never road bike. It's just one big hot urban sprawl here (Sunshine coast) so not very inviting for cycling, my advice is to look at England with a fresh perspective before you move here. If you are thinking that getting fit and healthy is a main goal for moving, then don't! You'd be better off moving somewhere like Snowdon or North Devon and having the countryside on hand, the weather to enjoy it and stil have familly and friends close by.

If I could give myself one bit of advice through time it would be don't ever come to Australia.

Obviously not living in Southern Victoria then :wink:

thanks for your response. the "getting fit" part and the outdoors lifestyle is just one of the "pluses" to a very informed decision to move. it has to do with career choices and laid back lifestyle, and the beautiful australian flora and fauna is just another aspect of it.

Good luck with it. If you can handle the heat and/or you get up early you'll be fine. And yes, the animals are pretty cool, esp when you come across them in the wild.

thanks for your response. the "getting fit" part and the outdoors lifestyle is just one of the "pluses" to a very informed decision to move. it has to do with career choices and laid back lifestyle, and the beautiful australian flora and fauna is just another aspect of it.

I am certainly more active here, I walk on a daily basis, just walking the streets in my neighbourhood is far more pleasurable year round than walking the streets of my home town. If its a hot day I just go out late when it feels lovely. Walking and running are huge here, if you ever drive up the coast road of an evening youll see the pavements heaving with fitness walkers and the beaches full of early morning swimmers. This is in Perth

I am certainly more active here, I walk on a daily basis, just walking the streets in my neighbourhood is far more pleasurable year round than walking the streets of my home town. If its a hot day I just go out late when it feels lovely. Walking and running are huge here, if you ever drive up the coast road of an evening youll see the pavements heaving with fitness walkers and the beaches full of early morning swimmers. This is in Perth

thanks all! for now, I think we will be in northern NSW, subtropical climate, so very humid but not too unbearable as some places up north.

I did find the humidity problematic but I reckon I'll get used to it. I love the idea of beach walking and generally getting some sunshine after Scottish winters lasting for 6,7 months! :D

Archived