how comfortable do we make the relatives?

wolvesaussie

We sign a lease today so its time to think about furniture. We are a couple no kids. Three bedroom house one for us one as study for teacher girlfriend and the other is for the overseas guests. Can decide if to get a proper bed or a sofa bed so it can be a second living area. Is it worth having dedicated guest room that wont be used for any other purpose ? My girlfriend wants friends to stay over tho maybe a night on dodgy sofa bed will put them off :)

Guest guest30085

I think you should go for a 'proper bed', Ive found the perfect one for visitors .....

image.jpg

Should stop them staying too long :laugh:

image.jpg

I feel a proper guest room would be the way to go...

i say this as visiting family from overseas are more than likely to be staying a few weeks?? So surely you would want them to feel comfortable?

I for one wouldn't want to be spending a lot of money on a 24hr flight, then getting off and being expected to spend a fortnight or so on a sofa/camp bed.

can see the dilemma though....but even just for having friends over for a night it would be nicer to have a proper room IMO

I think you should go for a 'proper bed', Ive found the perfect one for visitors .....

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21836[/ATTACH]

Should stop them staying too long :laugh:

Oh goody Adonna...you bringing your "special collection" to Perth with you :biggrin:

Should go down well at our Perth parties...

It depends on how often realistically you will have visitors, how long they will stay and how fit and healthy they are. Unless you spend a lot of money on a sofa bed they are only for occasional use and I know I would suffer if i had to sleep on one more than a night or two.

It also depends on how much use you would get out of the second living space - we are thinking on getting a sofa bed but only because we don't have enough room for an office and a guest room so it'd need to be multifunctional

Guest guest30085
Oh goody Adonna...you bringing your "special collection" to Perth with you :biggrin:

Should go down well at our Perth parties...

:shocked:

Ive changed my mind about moving to Perth, Im telling you ...:policeman::laugh:

Just trying to help Wolves with his visitor problem, not for those kinds of parties, unless Wolves means those kinds of visitors :shocked:

Sorry Wolves, these Perth ladies always take things off track :wink:

Guest Guest16631

......you can't beat a proper bed and mattress for a good nights sleep.......

......we chose.....( back when we had little room)

....,,a bed that came apart easily......

......and stored it and the mattress under our bed.....

.......we have a large queen......and bought just a double for a spare.....!

How much is it going to be used is the great unknown.. in theory it could be used about 10 weeks a year, as gf parents are divorced so parents will make the trip seperately and both are pledging to visit every year if welcome. Add a few nights from visitors as we are moving to Geelong from Melbourne so might have some friends overnight occasionally..

Guest Guest16631

.......age plays a part.......

......the older the visitor.......

........the more comfortable bed they need..........ime....!

We have a fold-out sofa from IKEA that stays in our living room. When we have visitors, we open it up ( it`s queen size) but we put a proper mattress on it ( we take the thin sofa mattress off). The spare mattress stays in our bedroom under the bed when we don`t have anyone staying with us. If you don`t have a lot of space, multifunctional piece could work .

We have a 4 bed house and just the two of us, one for us, one as a storage/junk room and two others as made up guest rooms with proper beds, drawers, mirrors etc - we even bought nice comfy mattresses for them rather than 'cheapie' ones. I guess I just like being a good host, I'd hate for someone to come and stay a few weeks and secretly think the mattress they were on was so uncomfortable (as I have been when I've visited friends overseas) as it makes you not want to return!

With it just being the two of us the lounge, kitchen and meals area is fine as living space, so we don't feel we need to make use of the rooms at other times. And it is good when we have a house party, more accommodation for the drunkards who can't make their way home! :biggrin:

Can you still use it as a 2nd space with a bed in it? Persoanlly if I had the option of a spare room with a bed I would take that option. When we first movd here we spent 4 weeks sleeping on a sofa bed- it was awful even though we went to Ikea and bought a new mattress to put on it. We store taht mattress under our mattress now as an alternative to under the bed. What aboout buying one of the single beds that has a trundle underneath that makes it into a double. That way you don't havea full size double in there all the time and could use the space in another way. Could you gf have that as her study as well and then the other room becomes another living space?

We bought an IKEA sofa bed for around $500 for guests, as we knew that we were having quite a lot of visitors of varying ages (from my friends in their mid-twenties to my girlfriends parents in their mid sixties) come over and stay with us, most of them for approximately 3 weeks and it's been absolutely fine.

We spent 3 weeks sleeping on it when my sister in law, her husband & 2 young kids came for 3 weeks and I thought it was very comfortable.

Although it's probably not ideal if you've got a constant stream of visitors, if it's just to cater for the odd mate staying over and visitors occasionally staying for a few weeks I would definitely head down the cheaper sofa bed route

Archived