Testing job market conditions

Dean001

Hi,

what have people done in terms of researching job opportunities?

my role is on the wanted list but there are not many roles advertised on seek + +

Have you applied for roles in advance of having visa approved?

Have you asked recruitment agencies for feedback on CV?

i think it is hard to get some reassurance that you will get work if opportunities are available when you make the move.

d

I looked on seek before hand and started applying from the UK, most places were not interested but I got 3 or 4 skype interviews and a job in the end. This may be because I have an Australian Passport so might not be a fair reflection... less of a risk taking on someone returning home maybe. If you want to go down this route my strategy was to avoid agents at all costs, they were never interested but the positions advertised direct from the companies were the ones that considered me in greater detail.

My girlfriend just quit her job and came over a few months later. We had been planning it for years to make sure we got the timing right. Shes a teacher so we made sure we got here in Aug to be here for the Aug/Nov recruitment period. Shes just got herself a job as well so its all going great.

Hi,

my role is on the wanted list but there are not many roles advertised on seek + +

i think it is hard to get some reassurance that you will get work if opportunities are available when you make the move.

d

Do the same kind of things you woul do if you were looking for a job in the UK - websites, recruitment agencies etc.

It is worth applying for Aussie jobs from back in the UK. My hubby had 3 x job offers (1 in Brisbane, 1 on Gold Coast and 1 in Sydney) in the 4 months before we left for Oz and then another job offer (which is where he is working now) when he got here. You never know your luck! Hubby sent his CV to companies directly, rather than agencies (although I know this can't be done for some professions).

Good Luck!

Hi,

d

The skills list does not reflect actual job prospects.

You can apply for jobs when ever you want. But, a lot of employers will not consider someone who isn't in the country yet. If you tell us what you do, we might be able to offer more advice.

thanks is for all the replies.

I thought the whole idea of the skills list was lack of skilled people, jobs to place people. Why would they need the skilled people if the jobs / work is not available?

I am a conference and event manager so any tips would be great.

Just to add, I was surprised to see my job on the list.

my skills are being assessed at the moment, then EOI so a long way to go.

i have a degree and over ten years experience working in events so hopefully will be straight forward.

thanks is for all the replies.

I thought the whole idea of the skills list was lack of skilled people, jobs to place people. Why would they need the skilled people if the jobs / work is not available?

I am a conference and event manager so any tips would be great.

Because they don't update the lists quickly enough for a change in the job market?

I think its a mystery to many people here how they come up with these lists.. seen many people talking about it before saying their job in on a shortage list but there is actually no shortage... the whole concept is a bit odd i think, if you havent got enough doctors or nurses, something that takes years of training to do then I can understand it (if they actually couldnt fill advertised jobs).. but for a lot of wishy washy type jobs that dont require years of training people can easily be promoted into those from within so the jobs wont come up. Many of these type of jobs still make the lists tho.

Hello Dean,

It's going to be quite difficult to go through independently as a conference and event organiser. Yes it's on a couple of the state sponsor lists but if you look closer its actually 'schedule 2' or 'off list' which generally require special criteria like a job offer or are only open for recent graduates from that State.

In the case of WA you'd either need to be working there or have a job offer in that occupation open for 12 months to be eligible for state sponsorship in that occupation at the moment.

The lists change all the time so it might not be the case when you apply, but I thought I'd highlight that.

All the best,

I think its a mystery to many people here how they come up with these lists.. seen many people talking about it before saying their job in on a shortage list but there is actually no shortage... the whole concept is a bit odd i think, if you havent got enough doctors or nurses, something that takes years of training to do then I can understand it (if they actually couldnt fill advertised jobs).. but for a lot of wishy washy type jobs that dont require years of training people can easily be promoted into those from within so the jobs wont come up. Many of these type of jobs still make the lists tho.

Generally the industry leaders/unions etc will advise the government and states of the current skill need in that particular industry and the DIBP adjust lists and ceiling limits accordingly. If there is a real shortage they can lodge petitions to have an occupation included in the SOL/CSOL etc. Obviously there's a lot of politics so by the time the change is actually made it can seem a bit odd.

Am also in a similar position to you Dean, will being going over to Oz on a WHV in December, background in events and conferencing with four years experience.

Ultimately I would like to get sponsorship if possible and it seems like this can be done via ENS as my occupation appears on the CSOL list.

Does anyone have any experience on how the ENS process works? Am I correct in thinking this is a different to the 457?

I must admit, having done my homework, I'm still slightly confused on the application of the CSOL list/457 visas and what options they gives...

Occupations on the CSOL can be nominated for a 457/ENS visa and can also be used for independent 190 or 489 applications providing you have the support of a State Government/Territory/Eligible Family member (as applicable). Occupations that appear on Schedule 1 of the CSOL (the SOL) are generally considered in high demand and can be used for an independent 189 Visa application.

ENS is a PR visa that requires a job offer (on-going for at least 2 years) from an eligible business. They can nominate you for a needed skilled position in their business (that appears on the CSOL) and you must meet the skill requirement for the position. Unless you've already been working for the company on a 457 visa for two years, the 'Direct Entry' pathway will be the way forward. For Direct Entry you will need to have your skills assessed by the relevant authority and demonstrate you have at least 3 years relevant experience.

I would say it's unusual for a company to sponsor a brand new candidate for an ENS visa. Generally in situations like yours a company would take you on first as a WHV holder for a probationary period, then 457 if things work out well, then ENS - Transition stream. Sponsorship carries a number of obligations so it's not something they enter into lightly.

All the best,

Hi, my job was on the wanted list, as of July this year, my application for state sponsorship went into WA even though there are less and less jobs advertised on Seek. 6 months ago there were several new adverts a day, now it is one or two a week if that.

Thankfully i got state sponsorship and I am just waiting for medicals (tomorrow) and police checks to come back so we can complete our visa application.

But I am worried if I am honest about the amount of work on offer out there at present. Talking to friends out there, the job market seems to be on the down turn, so whilst I will keep looking and start applying from the UK, I think being there will be the best option, with a lot of cash to keep us going while we look. The beans on toast for dinner will start soon to help the saving fund!

Good luck

Archived