Australian debt collection agency contacting me

leemg

Personally If it was me and I'd forgotten a bill or something like that I would prefer to pay it and get it over with.

Even if they are limited in what they can do to you, once paid you can forget about it.

If left outstanding it would play on my mind for years and never relax wondering what may happen.

So for the peace of mind I would prefer to pay it off.

I think I would ignore it if I was pretty sure I had no debts.

Agreed.

If I knew I was all paid up, plus I was now living in a different country with no intention of returning to that country, I would ignore it and not give it another thought.

In the UK there are a number of these collection agencies. What they do is buy up unpaid debts for pennies in the pound, and then chase up those named in an attempt to make easy money.

Quite often the debt doesn't actually exist. I've been approached by one of these companies, and it was over a broadband bill for the month after I'd cancelled it. The same thing happened to my brother over a mobile phone bill.

It's also possible that the debt is owed by someone else with the same name.

If you're convinced that the company is legitimate then get in touch with them, and ask for proof that it's owed. I'd also check on the Australian laws covering debt collectors to ensure that they're not loading the payment with fees.

Yep, hubbie had a Vodafone bill which had been sold on. It was for a couple of months AFTER the contract was cancelled. When this was pointed out they vanished.

There is no way in hell I'd be giving my new address either. I wouldn't actually have confirmed the address either. But if you are at a stale mate leave them to it. You have nothing to loose.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Pom Queen
Of course they can if they want too.

Although Christopher Skase got away with it, but they caught up with Alan Bond and many others.

AFAIK unless it's fraud no they can't

AFAIK unless it's fraud no they can't

Quite right, only civil debts like unpaid taxes etc can be upheld here. Consumer credit agreements from the UK can only be enforced in the UK although some debt recovery agents will test this if a large sum.........and fail !

If a UK court rules a consumer debt was obtained fraudulently it them becomes criminal and civil so can be enforced in Aus.

If the perpetrator has obtained a financial advantage by deception, including taking a good or service and then absconding without paying, that is effectively theft and a criminal offence is it not ?

If you steal from a supermarket, it is not really much different to stealing electricity or stealing from a bank.

Whether the person who has been stolen from would take it to the police is unlikely though if the amount is small.

Might be worth reading through this.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?250889-Can-I-Be-Sued-For-An-Overseas-Debt

From what I can gather an Australian debtor could sue through the UK courts but it would be an time consuming and expensive exercise for them.

Okay I am not an expert in this and don't really know for sure, but I think a judgement could be sought through the UK courts if they really wanted to persue a large debt.

Guest The Pom Queen
If the perpetrator has obtained a financial advantage by deception, including taking a good or service and then absconding without paying, that is effectively theft and a criminal offence is it not ?

If you steal from a supermarket, it is not really much different to stealing electricity or stealing from a bank.

Whether the person who has been stolen from would take it to the police is unlikely though if the amount is small.

Unless they took out a loan the day before they moved then no it is not a criminal offence. The OP has no idea what the debt even is so I can't see it being fraud can you?

I know it seems shocking but the fact is they can't .This has been covered quite substantially and I don't know why people insist on telling untruths just to bolster their opinion. Sorry but it drives me nuts :laugh:

Actually you are wrong and it's got nothing to do with me bolstering my opinion!

if an Australian company wants to sue for a debt in a UK court then they can try and they could win. There are people on various websites relating to foreign debt that are going through this process. The fact is that most companies in Australia would write the debt off because it's not worth their time and money, but they CAN peruse it in UK courts.

To to be honest, it's not really cricket to run up debts and scarper is it.....? And surely only dodgy people could actually do this and not worry about it forever?

But if you borrow money and can't repay it that is NOT a criminal offence, it's just bad money management, imagine if everyone in the world who defaulted on debts got charged with a criminal offence!

Archived