Australian debt collection agency contacting me

leemg

Hi,

I returned to the UK in 2010 and as far as I am aware I closed all my bank accounts, which were in credit and settled all my bills. I had no loans or credit cards while in Australia. Recently I had an email from "baycorp" regarding an "urgent business issue". I emailed them and they asked me to confirm my details, I gave them my last address in Aus but not my current as I genuinely do not know what this is in relation to. What, if any, authority do these guys have to seek me in the UK for outstanding debt and if they wont confirm to me what this is about, how am I supposed to rectify it. Anyone experienced similar?

Many thanks

I'd make the most of the power of the internet and go research email and phishing scams and use a few variations in your search terms.

Searching 'Baycorp Debt' reveals there is a legitimate looking debt recovery service in Australia with that name.

Searching 'Baycorp Debt' reveals there is a legitimate looking debt recovery service in Australia with that name.

There may well be, but I'd always always treat any email of that kind with utmost caution and never give out any info without verifying it was legit and checking if the actual email was genuine or the links etc in the email not dodgy etc. And research fully first before replying to any email. There are ways and means of picking up a scam or dissing one out.

There may well be, but I'd always always treat any email of that kind with utmost caution and never give out any info without verifying it was legit and checking if the actual email was genuine or the links etc in the email not dodgy etc. And research fully first before replying to any email. There are ways and means of picking up a scam or dissing one out.

Absolutely.. I would never make contact via email. I would ask for a contact number and expect and Australian accent to answer...

Guest Guest 47403

There's also legitimate businesses called Santander and Lloyds bank, neither of which I bank with however occasionally they (someone pretending to be them) send me emails asking me to confirm my bank account details to them.

OP If your happy you owe nothing I'd totally ignore them and not even open emails from them. TBH i'd ignore them even if you do owe money you are in the UK now.

Guest Guest 47403
Why? Do you think they'll get bored and go away?

Yes if OP is happy he has no outstanding debt and they receive no response.

Guest Guest 47403
I thought they didn't have the power to enforce debt collection between Aus and the UK it's been done to death on here a million times in the past .

Correct! It gets boring then the morality police get involved and it gets even more boring :SLEEP:

Absolutely.. I would never make contact via email. I would ask for a contact number and expect and Australian accent to answer...

I wouldn't ask them for a contact number. I would use a number that you found for the company from a legitimate source.

Thanks for the responses, after a few email communications, these guys seem fairly legit although I have no idea what it is in relation to. We seem to be in stalemate as they wont confirm what it is about until I confirm "security", i.e. my address etc, and of course I refuse to give them any UK details until I know what they want.

As mentioned to the best of my knowledge I settled all my bills etc on departure. However it concerns me these guys, have my old address in oz. Someone mentioned the debt thing had been done to death, can anyone give an absolute answer as to whether these guys have any authority in the UK or whether they can forward any alleged "debt" to UK collection agents. My other concern if there was a legitimate debt left outstanding, utility bill or something ridiculous, these guys will have inflated the debt out of all proportion with extortionate interest and costs.

From what I can gather 99% of these types of companies operate on the fringes of what is legal and essentially deal in peoples misery and extortion.

The Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Government of Australia,

Desiring to provide, on the basis of reciprocity, for the recognition and enforcement of judgments in civil and commercial matters;

Have agreed as follows:

www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1994/Uksi_19941901_en_2.htm

The above link basically says that a court order (Civil and Commercial Matters) made in either country, can be enforced in the other country. But Civil and Commerical matters are not consumer debt, ie credit cards etc

My OH started getting texts about a debt in another state - couldn't think what it was so I rang them - it was an outstanding utility bill - no idea it was outstanding - paid $80 solicitors fees and outstanding amount - fixed! It is probably something like this - of course they will not disclose debt to you if you do not confirm who you are. If you really want to get to the bottom of this confirm your details with them.

As for you getting emails - you probably gave that as your contact - just like I gave my OH's mobile umber

The Government of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland and the Government of Australia,

Desiring to provide, on the basis of reciprocity, for the recognition and enforcement of judgments in civil and commercial matters;

Have agreed as follows:

www.opsi.gov.uk/SI/si1994/Uksi_19941901_en_2.htm

The above link basically says that a court order (Civil and Commercial Matters) made in either country, can be enforced in the other country. But Civil and Commerical matters are not consumer debt, ie credit cards etc

Thanks Kevsan, I do not understand your last sentence. Are you stating that consumer debt are not covered by this agreement.

I do not think that anyone seeking repayment of money would do so via email. I never open any of these types of emails and have found gmail accounts very good, gmail picks them all up.

They play on our curiosity, if I see one that I think could be legit I do not contact via the email, contact the source and check.

Snopes is a good place to visit too if there is any doubt

In the UK there are a number of these collection agencies. What they do is buy up unpaid debts for pennies in the pound, and then chase up those named in an attempt to make easy money.

Quite often the debt doesn't actually exist. I've been approached by one of these companies, and it was over a broadband bill for the month after I'd cancelled it. The same thing happened to my brother over a mobile phone bill.

It's also possible that the debt is owed by someone else with the same name.

If you're convinced that the company is legitimate then get in touch with them, and ask for proof that it's owed. I'd also check on the Australian laws covering debt collectors to ensure that they're not loading the payment with fees.

Archived