Birdsong

So, here I am, sat out front surrounded by trees and all kinds of birds flying overhead or perched close by.

I've already become familiar with magpies, piping shrikes, minahs and lorikeets. I am learning to recognise a few others.

I've seen birds I am familiar with such as sparrows, blackbirds and starlings. Also some type of swallow or swift.

What I am really trying to do is learn what is around me by birdsong. The magpies sound so lovely, shrikes less so. Minahs I can place and the lorikeets. There is a bird I hear often at 4am who has the most lovely song but once daylight appears, the bird song disappears so I have yet to work out which bird it might be.

Anyways, I'm enjoying seeing and hearing them. A lovely way to spend lunch.

So, here I am, sat out front surrounded by trees and all kinds of birds flying overhead or perched close by.

I've already become familiar with magpies, piping shrikes, minahs and lorikeets. I am learning to recognise a few others.

I've seen birds I am familiar with such as sparrows, blackbirds and starlings. Also some type of swallow or swift.

What I am really trying to do is learn what is around me by birdsong. The magpies sound so lovely, shrikes less so. Minahs I can place and the lorikeets. There is a bird I hear often at 4am who has the most lovely song but once daylight appears, the bird song disappears so I have yet to work out which bird it might be.

If you search for Australian bird calls - there are several apps that may help you identify them. I have a good UK one. You often can't see them when the foliage is up.

having recently emigrated to Australia I am now recognising some birds song ... but to be honest some could not be called " a song" ... I do miss the British birds ... my garden there was full of so many different ones ... sitting by the pond or laying in bed listening to them was one of the pleasures of living there ...

A timely thread Snifter as I woke at stupid o'clock this morning, it was still dark, and I lay listening to a little (it sounded little) bird chirruping! I have no idea what is was but it reminded me of listening to the birds at home. Such a nice change to the crows that usually wake me with their bawling and shouting!

And yet many poms have complained on here and BE that the birds sing to loudly in the morning...........

We often hear sitellas twittering around ( very small birds). Blue wrens are another one, there seems to be an increase of them this year,the beautiful things. Parrots and lorikeets are very distinctive and so is the good old kookaburra- they seem to go all night sometimes. Another common one is the wattle bird- not very musical though. Currawongs have also bred up this year- they have a distinct sound, a bit magpie-like. Down at the beach we hear the whip birds, sound like a whip cracking. I love the birds over in South Aus- a lot we don't see here.

A timely thread Snifter as I woke at stupid o'clock this morning, it was still dark, and I lay listening to a little (it sounded little) bird chirruping! I have no idea what is was but it reminded me of listening to the birds at home. Such a nice change to the crows that usually wake me with their bawling and shouting!

It could have been a Willie Wagtail. They have a lovely song, and can sing all night at this time of the year.

This is a great website about Australian Birds, and there is a section about birdsong http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/birds/featured/Top-40-Bird-Songs.

I like the magpies, the lorikeets and the wagtails, I like the sound of the wattlebirds, we get so many different birds in our garden I recognize the different call, the black cockatoo has a distinctive call. Only one I don't like is the racket the galahs make at roosting time. I take a lot more notice of birds here, probably because I spend much more time outdoors than in the UK. I also hear the 4am bird, he doesn't go for long...not sure what he is.

It could have been a Willie Wagtail. They have a lovely song, and can sing all night at this time of the year.

This is a great website about Australian Birds, and there is a section about birdsong http://www.birdsinbackyards.net/birds/featured/Top-40-Bird-Songs.

Thanks for that LKC, I'll have a look at it. I didn't hear it this morning, slept right through! :)

Oi, this isn't going to become an Aus v UK thing please. Give over with the UK references. I posted in Aus news and chat about Australian birdsong. I ain't comparing or complaining. I was enjoying.

Grrrrrr.

Thanks LKC. I've seen a small wagtail type bird around in the daytime, just not heard their song (as in been able to see them while hearing also).

I like apps but was hoping to try to work it out in my tod with just my senses and a bit of tuning in.

It really is the most lovely song in the wee hours before dawn. Quite relaxing.

HappyHeart - glad I am not the only one hearing the 4am recital ;)

Hoping I can work out what it is for definite soon. Will be sure to post back when I find out.

Starlight - that's the thing, some are regional and what we have here others may not have elsewhere and vice versa.

I'm really enjoying learning all the new songs.

Bottler1942 - sure some are harder on the ears but they all actually have their place. Even the more raucous ones I find interesting as they tend to be the ones in larger flocks or the ones whizzing from tree to tree en masse or chasing each other. The more solitary birds tend to be quieter.

Did see a magpie raid a minah nest the other day. Was a Shane and the parents made an almighty din. The magpie got its lunch though. Minahs had no chance.

Oi, this isn't going to become an Aus v UK thing please. Give over with the UK references. I posted in Aus news and chat about Australian birdsong. I ain't comparing or complaining. I was enjoying.

Grrrrrr.

Blame the pom couple on the TV whinging about the noisy birds and the sky being to blue. Needless to say they were on their way back to the uber resort of Birmingham/Liverpool/Manchester et al.

Bottler1942 - sure some are harder on the ears but they all actually have their place. Even the more raucous ones I find interesting as they tend to be the ones in larger flocks or the ones whizzing from tree to tree en masse or chasing each other. The more solitary birds tend to be quieter.

Did see a magpie raid a minah nest the other day. Was a Shane and the parents made an almighty din. The magpie got its lunch though. Minahs had no chance.

"Was a Shane"??

The early settlers went crazy introducing birds from around the world, mainly Europe, to Australia. Blackbirds, sparrows, starlings, indian mynahs and goldfinches are very common in south eastern Australia. I must admit that the Blackbird song at dawn is magnificent. During spring here it is prominent.

Australia has a very diverse range of songbird species. The best of these would have to be the grey shrike thrush, pied butcherbird, magpie, and lyrebird.

I find that some of the most magnificent dawn choruses are in the outback areas and semi arid zones of Australia where many of the birds have haunting songs and calls.

Archived