Company Sponsored 457 Visa

garethevans

Hi Guys

We have accepted a job in Sydney that is due to start on January 13th and we are very excited to say the least however there is so much to think about. My wife is spending so much time looking at different areas to move to, and to make matters more complicated we are looking to move into temp accommodation for a few months first which seems to be very difficult to find. We are hoping to move to north Sydney around the Manly area but we shall wait and see.

As my company are taking care of the visa I had not thought a massive amount about it, until recently when a few people have said that they have heard of several 457 visa getting turned down. Has anyone on hear heard of this and the reasons why?

I was going to book out flights this week but after hearing this we have decided to wait.

I was wondering if anyone had

Hi Alan

I have been told that It has been started and I have been told that the solicitors that are dealing with my application will contact me for my paperwork this week but so far nothing.

You just hear different things every time I read about the visa's, I will just be glad to get things moving my side

Hi Alan

I have been told that It has been started and I have been told that the solicitors that are dealing with my application will contact me for my paperwork this week but so far nothing.

You just hear different things every time I read about the visa's, I will just be glad to get things moving my side

I'd not be taking the personal financial risk here - ask your company to pay for your flights (this makes sense from a salary packaging perspective anyway), or wait until your visas are granted before you pay for flights.

Best regards.

All visas can be rejected. With a 457 it may be because you do not qualify or the company does not qualify.

The other thing to always remember with a 457 is to really understand what it is. It is a temp visa, normally for 4 years and tied to the employer. That means should you lose employment with the employer you have 90 days to find a new employer who is also willing and able to sponsor

Hi, similar situation here. I'm moving with my company - also starting Jan 13th and looking to live North Sydney! My visa was taken care of by my firm (fairly large multinational with offices in Sydney). Approval process took 4 weeks from start to finish but this was all locked in back in July. My family and I all needed medicals before they were approved but it was a pretty painless process.

In terms of temp accomodation, we found a one month let through North Sydney facebook groups. Then it's going to be a mad dash to find somewhere longer term when we get feet on the ground. All agents I've been speaking to are telling me the market is very fluid and there's no point even looking really until a couple days before you arrive as places go super quick.

Would love to know how you get on - feel free to PM me.

Hi Guys

We have accepted a job in Sydney that is due to start on January 13th and we are very excited to say the least however there is so much to think about. My wife is spending so much time looking at different areas to move to, and to make matters more complicated we are looking to move into temp accommodation for a few months first which seems to be very difficult to find. We are hoping to move to north Sydney around the Manly area but we shall wait and see.

As my company are taking care of the visa I had not thought a massive amount about it, until recently when a few people have said that they have heard of several 457 visa getting turned down. Has anyone on hear heard of this and the reasons why?

I was going to book out flights this week but after hearing this we have decided to wait.

I was wondering if anyone had

Well obviously visas can be turned down, if they could not be then the would be no point in a review and approval process.

Personally I would not do anything beyond quiet research until I had the visa in hand. There was a thread recently, somebody resigned, took children out of school and I think even rented their house out - and then they didn't get the visa! If your employer wants to book flight for you then that is up to them, but I don't know why they would do that at this stage either.

I also would not worry too much about the start date right now, it is fine to ave a target but it is pretty meaningless without a visa. It also feels like everything could be pretty tight for you with it being Christmas between now and that start date.

Most people do not get temporary accommodation for a few months at the start, of course if your company are paying that is fine, but if you are paying yourself that could be an expensive option. Most people get a few weeks temporary accommodation (hotel, serviced apartment) and start to look for the long term rental straight away with the view to moving in within weeks.

Hi, similar situation here. I'm moving with my company - also starting Jan 13th and looking to live North Sydney! My visa was taken care of by my firm (fairly large multinational with offices in Sydney). Approval process took 4 weeks from start to finish but this was all locked in back in July. My family and I all needed medicals before they were approved but it was a pretty painless process.

In terms of temp accomodation, we found a one month let through North Sydney facebook groups. Then it's going to be a mad dash to find somewhere longer term when we get feet on the ground. All agents I've been speaking to are telling me the market is very fluid and there's no point even looking really until a couple days before you arrive as places go super quick.

Would love to know how you get on - feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your note, I will keep you posted on the move. I have been looking for the Facebook group but to be honest I am useless on it so need to ask my wife to have a look.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest92917

My visa was lodged a month ago and I'm still waiting-I need to be in Ozzie. January too and am now starting to panic about time scales. The visa people said 4-6 weeks-we are now in week 4.any ideas how long it may take?x

My visa was lodged a month ago and I'm still waiting-I need to be in Ozzie. January too and am now starting to panic about time scales. The visa people said 4-6 weeks-we are now in week 4.any ideas how long it may take?x

There's still a processing backlog from when they changed the 457 visa regulations back in July. My company makes a large amount of 457 visa applications every month and the timescales at the moment are quite random, ranging from 2-8 weeks with no real pattern as to why. It's not easy on clients and adding in the labour market testing this month is not going to help matters either.

Well that's just the average timescale we experience at the moment, in theory it can take as long as the CO wants to make the decision. If it gets nearer the time and the start date is particularly critical (a time-sensitive project that benefits Australia, or personal financial hardship for example) you can request priority processing, but LOTS of people have requested it so it may not speed things up.

Guest Guest92917

My school have already done that as I really need to be there for the start of term. But thank you your advice is helpful-fingers crossed we will get some good news soon!

Thanks!

Archived