Bar & barista certificates

nicola2157

Hi all,

ive been here for 2 months now and not getting anywhere with admin jobs ( I was an office manager/PA in the uk) so I'm now looking at restaurants and bars/coffee shops as I have experience in waitressingand restaurant management. Could anyone tell me where the best place in melbourne CBD where I can train to get the RSA & barista certificates? Not working so can't be too expensive!

thanks

also if anyone has any tips on getting admin work please enlighten me lol

• 1 year later...
Short of cash then do the alcohol and gambling ones on line.

Barista training takes 2 days- it's an accredited course. Have you joined scoopon and groupon? I recently bought barista training at 60% off. otherwise you can expect to pay a few hundred for that one. Private training places do it- just google barista training melbourne and also join the 2 websites stated. lots of vouchers, also the RSA is often featured at a discounted rate.

I wonder why you need a certificate to serve coffee?I realise coffee making is abit of an art these days,but surely it doesn't warrant a certificate?So if you gain a certificate and get a job,is the boss just going to say "Well we won't actually give you any training,you have the certificate so just get on with it"lol You'd still have to be shown the ropes?How hard is it using a coffee machine?Not having a go,I am genuinely curious!

Barista training takes 2 days- it's an accredited course. Have you joined scoopon and groupon? I recently bought barista training at 60% off. otherwise you can expect to pay a few hundred for that one. Private training places do it- just google barista training melbourne and also join the 2 websites stated. lots of vouchers, also the RSA is often featured at a discounted rate.

I second this - Groupon here in Adelaide for example currently have an offer for RSA training http://www.groupon.com.au/deals/adelaide/mason-college-2/719438126

I wonder why you need a certificate to serve coffee?I realise coffee making is abit of an art these days,but surely it doesn't warrant a certificate?So if you gain a certificate and get a job,is the boss just going to say "Well we won't actually give you any training,you have the certificate so just get on with it"lol You'd still have to be shown the ropes?How hard is it using a coffee machine?Not having a go,I am genuinely curious!

Because this is Australia, and there are rules. If you do not follow the rules you do not work.

Because there is a lot more involved in making a good coffee than just pushing a button. Coffee shops succeed or fail based on the skills of their barista.

Because there is a lot more involved in making a good coffee than just pushing a button. Coffee shops succeed or fail based on the skills of their barista.

Well as a tea drinker, I really wish as much importance was given on how to make a cup of tea. I mean, how hard can it be? Put tea bag in cup, pour boiling water on it. And yet I have lost count of the number of times I have been served a cup of hot water (no longer boiling, obviously, after being put into a cold mug) with a tea bag on the side. Sometimes I treat it like a race to get that bag in the water as fast as possible before it cools down too much to draw!

And the other day, well, this was the lowest of the low - I went to a cafe to kill some time before an appointment, and ordered a mug of white tea. What I was served was a cup full of frothy milk (like it goes when you make a cappucino) with a tea bag in it! It was so utterly disgusting, I couldn't even bring myself to take a sip of it. Obviously hot milk wasn't doing anything to draw the tea out of the bag, so it was basically just a cup of hot frothy milk with a useless teabag. As I don't really like milk (too many slightly off school milks for me as a child) I just left the whole thing.

Being a shy quiet type, I didn't even complain :embarrassed:

Well as a tea drinker, I really wish as much importance was given on how to make a cup of tea. I mean, how hard can it be? Put tea bag in cup, pour boiling water on it. And yet I have lost count of the number of times I have been served a cup of hot water (no longer boiling, obviously, after being put into a cold mug) with a tea bag on the side. Sometimes I treat it like a race to get that bag in the water as fast as possible before it cools down too much to draw!

And the other day, well, this was the lowest of the low - I went to a cafe to kill some time before an appointment, and ordered a mug of white tea. What I was served was a cup full of frothy milk (like it goes when you make a cappucino) with a tea bag in it! It was so utterly disgusting, I couldn't even bring myself to take a sip of it. Obviously hot milk wasn't doing anything to draw the tea out of the bag, so it was basically just a cup of hot frothy milk with a useless teabag. As I don't really like milk (too many slightly off school milks for me as a child) I just left the whole thing.

lol - my mum was a tea drinker and when ordering tea she used to give specific instructions.

I'm seriously considering (only half-joking) becoming someone who carries their own tea bags around, and just asking for a cup of hot water... tea is usually fairly well priced in the UK but sometimes even places like Starbucks can't do it properly!

I'd love that cup of tea lol

lol - my mum was a tea drinker and when ordering tea she used to give specific instructions.

My Dad does, 2 tea bags please, left in! When he makes it at home, he puts tea leaves in the cup and leaves them in, you can almost stand the spoon up its so strong!

Archived