Lease break problems

Eng32

Guest The Pom Queen
So I can only ask for a decrease due to reasons other than rent in the area has decreased and is now over priced.

Rent decreases

Rent may be decreased because:

there is a drop in the standard of the property, room or service

there is a decrease in services provided, e.g. a stove is not working

In rooming accommodation:

the resident is not receiving a personal care service because they are away

the resident is not receiving a food service because they have been away for more than two weeks

Various reasons its looked in to on an individual case by case.

If a tenant feels the increase is excessive, they can dispute this once the new agreement is signed using the RTA dispute resolution service.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First of all, you signed the lease. You should have read every detail. You say you misread the 7 for a 1? A lease will always have the words written so the word july would have been written on it.

People break leases all the time. You keep paying rent til they find a new tenant. Unfortunatley it has to be advertised as 650 because its a lease break so tje landlord isnt losing money due to you getting out of the contract.

Is there no way u can still buy the house and rent it out until july and move in then?

The word July are not written on the lease agreement. It was a genuine mistake, yes I know ultimately we are liable but even so, discussions between the land lord to change or lease from the usual 6 month to 12 months was never bought up once, or a cover letter with the new agreement. Maybe we were stupid but mistakes happen unfortunately. There was a lot of stress going on at that time as my mother was sick and my son arriving in a few days that I hadn't seen in a year. No excuse but these issues didn't help with our mistake at the time.

they won't find a tenant who will pay $650, end of, prices have reduced quite a bit since we started renting. So it will not get rented out or they will have to drop the price. That in itself is part of this mess.

Edited by Eng32

The crux appears to be a misunderstanding of the date.

However is this not written in both brief and details ie 1/7/2014 and the 1st of July 2014?

If it comes down the 7 v 1 perhaps dispute resolution process?

Some times the interpretation of contracts needs this

The crux appears to be a misunderstanding of the date.

However is this not written in both brief and details ie 1/7/2014 and the 1st of July 2014?

If it comes down the 7 v 1 perhaps dispute resolution process?

Some times the interpretation of contracts needs this

exactly that,just the 7 v 1, it is not written down at all anywhere, neither an email, letter or phone call informing us of this change, that's what is so annoying about the situation, but still we have to be held to blame and now will cost us to break the lease and rent out as rentals have reduces by $150 a week since we first signed up. We have tried discussing it with the owner but they don't care so were going to try for mediation, the file a dispute. RtA were unhelpful and rude both times we have phoned them so that's not helping either. Iv lost half a stone this week through the stress and can't sleep at night.

Guest The Pom Queen
They have dropped £150 in a matter of 4 months? Find that hard to believe

She didn't say that did she. They have already had a lease contract, this was a renewal. Anyway we have been through all this, it was an error but lets try and help and move on from who is to blame.

Guest The Pom Queen
Ok, we can leave our bond possibly and get the rent reduced or help with the difference. Just a thought.

This is great, hope it works out for you and Lorna :hug: Good luck to you both

She didn't say that did she. They have already had a lease contract, this was a renewal. Anyway we have been through all this, it was an error but lets try and help and move on from who is to blame.

Umm yeh she did say that actually..referring to other rentals in the area......!!!

Umm yeh she did say that actually..referring to other rentals in the area......!!!

really....have you nothing better to do or do you have anything constructive to say? I'm a clearly upset by the situation, whether or not it was 'my fault' or that your reaction would be different, but this is happening to me and I'm distressed, so if you have nothing better to say.........:arghh:

Most leases are 12 months. so nothing unusual in that.

Hard to believe you would not even check the length of the lease before signing it. It is such a fundamental aspect of the lease.

Anyway you will have learned your lesson and won't be so blase next time.

Most leases are 12 months. so nothing unusual in that.

Hard to believe you would not even check the length of the lease before signing it. It is such a fundamental aspect of the lease.

Anyway you will have learned your lesson and won't be so blase next time.

I requested 6 month leases where I am. Every time they would send me a 12 month one. I'd phone them, they'd say just cross out the date. Eventually we were in a position where we could accept a 12 month one, so I just didn't change it. Rental agents work for both the owner AND the renter. A lot of people seem to forget that. And if you as their customer request terms which they have agreed to, you should be able to expect them to not change it. Unfortunately as the op has learnt, many real estate agents are not very professional.

I live in Brisbane, have been in UK for 5 months and was astonished on my return about not only the drop in rental prices but the improved quality of rentals on the market compared to just 6 months ago. We moved out of a real slum after I negotiated a rolling lease. I had to do this as they kept upping the rent to a level where it wasn't market value ($480, 80's decor, 70's kitchen), and I knew that if we broke lease that no-one would want the property at that rate - and they wouldn't make any effort to market it - why would they? As it was after we moved out they had to drop the rent $30 a week after we left just to get people to view. I do have sympathy for the OP - mistakes do happen, managing agents are, for the most part pretty unprofessional and both them and the landlords only interested in squeezing every $ out of the tenants. We have now moved to a $600 a week rental which is too expensive for us really, but a real quality home, great area close to city, lovely pool, supportive landlord and responsive managing agents. I feel much more secure knowing that this would rent in a heartbeat if we had to leave.

It is amazing how much property has dropped, you couldn't get a rental here for under 5.50 a week, and those ones weren't too great. But there throwing them away at the moment for as little as 4.50 for a brand new house 3 or 4 bed. The same goes for selling, houses keep dropping there prices and willing to strike a deal. I have a friend who moved here from Brissy just after Xmas this year, they bought a house straight away. Now 7 months or so later you could have saved a up to $100,000. Hence the reason were are buying. And the reason we only wanted 6 months lease cos we saw houses at a low that has not been seen here for a good few years and new it was the time to go for it. We could never have or wanted to pay for the same house were buying now last year.

We have broken our lease and have put it on the market for $150 a week less than we are paying now, cos that's the going rate. But better that than the whole 6.50. Fingers well and truly burned and my trust of people tarnished. Must have mug written all over our faces. Oh well....never again :confused::chatterbox:

If this thread can help even one person from making the same mistake or trusting a rental agent then I'll be glad at that. Be warned.

Edited by Eng32

Must have mug written all over our faces. Oh well....never again :confused::chatterbox:

There is no way you could have anticipated the rental drop. I have kept a keen eye on rentals for years - have been desperate to move out of the slum. It is only recently that rents have slumped due to what seems to be an oversupply. Perhaps put an advert on gumtree and appeal to sharers who could pay a higher rent? The advice about advertising on this site for new arrivals was also good - Assume it is in a decent area at that price and knowing you have a rental to come to when migrating would be of great comfort to many

It is amazing how much property has dropped, you couldn't get a rental here for under 5.50 a week, and those ones weren't too great. But there throwing them away at the moment for as little as 4.50 for a brand new house 3 or 4 bed. The same goes for selling, houses keep dropping there prices and willing to strike a deal. I have a friend who moved here from Brissy just after Xmas this year, they bought a house straight away. Now 7 months or so later you could have saved a up to $100,000. Hence the reason were are buying. And the reason we only wanted 6 months lease cos we saw houses at a low that has not been seen here for a good few years and new it was the time to go for it. We could never have or wanted to pay for the same house were buying now last year.

We have broken our lease and have put it on the market for $150 a week less than we are paying now, cos that's the going rate. But better that than the whole 6.50. Fingers well and truly burned and my trust of people tarnished. Must have mug written all over our faces. Oh well....never again :confused::chatterbox:

If this thread can help even one person from making the same mistake or trusting a rental agent then I'll be glad at that. Be warned.

$150 x 30 weeks $4.5k

Capital saving $100k

Seems like a calculated upside to me :-)