Cccccold after just moving to Melbourne!!!

SGHJLL

common misconception that, insulation simply separates the outside climate from that inside, over or under heating in a well insulated house is usually down to ventilation or lack of.

australian houses tend to be very well ventilated, but when you want to have a different temp inside than outside it tends to require the use of fuel/machines to do it. great if fuels cheap and you don't believe in climate change.

the solution, is therefore simpler for Australia. stop flogging all the fuel that is dug up to china, invest on good doctors to treat the cancers and burn burn burn!

Guest The Pom Queen
FFS, I live in Canberra and it gets down to -8c overnight in winter and it just isn't as bad as you make out. Maybe people toughen up after a few years here. But to say an overnight temprature of 12c is cold, is deluded - the UK goes months where it doesn't get that warm in the day (and that's just the summer!).

Hey it is cold. I think it is because we acclimatize. I find anything below 25 cold these days.

Melbourne weather is one of the reasons we moved up North, it's freezing and like the others have said the new builds just don't have the insulation, double glazing, central heating etc.

Whilst it is cooler in Melbourne than in much of Australia, and yes, we have had a relatively cool, windy, wet spring so far, the problem, as so many have identified, is the quality of the housing stock, especially the rental stock. Back in the UK, my house has central heating, double glazing, cavity wall insulation and loft insulation. It is designed, primarily, to keep you warm in winter. Depending on the age of your house here, and the quality of the builder, you will have less or no insulation, single glazing, and blown hot air heating. In our first rental, built in the seventies, we were always cold in the winter, however much we ran the heating. The heating system itself sounded like a 747 taking off, but all the heat leaked straight through the walls, roof and windows. Our latest is a new build unit, still single glazed, but with a modern heating system and better insulation (I believe it meets the six star standard). It was built by a small builder, our landlord, who clearly took care to build a solid property. Result is that we have been comfortable this last winter. Tin roof, though, so we hear the rain. Bottom line is that Australia needs to discover insulation and double glazing, not just in the temperate areas like Melbourne, but also in the hotter areas, because this would help keep your place cool in the summer, and ensure the money spent on aircon was not wasted...

I am from a coastal town in England and believe me I am very used to being cold but the house we are renting is freezing. No heating in bedrooms and you can see sunlight through the floorboards. Full breeze comes in the windows too. I have got my super dooper winter double weight duvet on at night and am wearing three tops during the day whilst in the house! Gotta move in five months when lease is up, roll on the sunshine and warmer weather. All the locals are saying it is an anomaly and it is normally much warmer by now. Timing as ever!!

Hey it is cold. I think it is because we acclimatize. I find anything below 25 cold these days.

Melbourne weather is one of the reasons we moved up North, it's freezing and like the others have said the new builds just don't have the insulation, double glazing, central heating etc.

* blows raspberry * Pfft!! Compared to the tropics Melbourne might be cold, but against the UK the winter averages are much, much warmer. So there!

Whilst it is cooler in Melbourne than in much of Australia, and yes, we have had a relatively cool, windy, wet spring so far, the problem, as so many have identified, is the quality of the housing stock, especially the rental stock. Back in the UK, my house has central heating, double glazing, cavity wall insulation and loft insulation. It is designed, primarily, to keep you warm in winter. Depending on the age of your house here, and the quality of the builder, you will have less or no insulation, single glazing, and blown hot air heating. In our first rental, built in the seventies, we were always cold in the winter, however much we ran the heating. The heating system itself sounded like a 747 taking off, but all the heat leaked straight through the walls, roof and windows. Our latest is a new build unit, still single glazed, but with a modern heating system and better insulation (I believe it meets the six star standard). It was built by a small builder, our landlord, who clearly took care to build a solid property. Result is that we have been comfortable this last winter. Tin roof, though, so we hear the rain. Bottom line is that Australia needs to discover insulation and double glazing, not just in the temperate areas like Melbourne, but also in the hotter areas, because this would help keep your place cool in the summer, and ensure the money spent on aircon was not wasted...

A double glazing company has daily radio advertising here, and they do triple glazing. I haven't found an uninsulated abode here yet. You must be a lucky one........

* blows raspberry * Pfft!! Compared to the tropics Melbourne might be cold, but against the UK the winter averages are much, much warmer. So there!

Please ma'am, no facts on this pommy forum

The recent 11 days in a row below 20C max in Melbourne was actually the longest stretch this late in the year since December 1963 (or something like that).

Further inland in the hills it was even colder. Ballarat had 6 of those days below 15C and four days 13C and below as well as a 0C minimum on the 25th.

Overall it was only a little below average across the southern half of the state for maximum temps thanks to some warmer weather in the first half of the month. October is not necessarily a warm month in Melbourne. By December it should be consistently warm with just the odd cool day.

Archived