Uk iPad help

laurar9838

Hi,

I have a UK brought IPad. This might sound stupid but can someone tell me if I'll be able to use this when I move to perth and what adapters etc do I need?

I need to make sure I have it for communication otherwise my family might not let me go!!

cheers

laura

Yeah it'll work fine. Mine was my main source of communication when i first arrived as well. You can either get a sim card for it if its the 3G model, or go into a Telstra/Optus/Vodafone store with your passport and buy a 4G wifi device. Vodafone is the cheapest but the coverage isnt as good as Telstra. Your charger will work with a travel adapter or you can buy an Australian version here.

You'll need to set up an Aussie account with Aus credit/gift card and address but swapping between the stores is easy enough - I keep my laptop on UK store and my devices on Aus store and the updates seem to get mingled ok.

If your iPad is locked to a network, you'll need to get it unlocked before you leave

You may want to change your region on I tunes, I flick between the uk shop and australian one choosing the best apps ..

How do I do that Paul? I tried to download the T box remote app last night, I was redirected and changed to the Australian store, tried again and it said my account is not valid for use in the Australian and must switch to the UK store!!! Round in circles! :arghh:

Go on to the apple app, log into your account then there's a change country : region button to click.. It's simple

You mean I didn't have to set up a new account????? I definitely had to set up an account in the UK store with completely different credentials when I moved from Aus. It was a pain in the rear end to begin with.

You mean I didn't have to set up a new account????? I definitely had to set up an account in the UK store with completely different credentials when I moved from Aus. It was a pain in the rear end to begin with.

All I do is change a few details on the account, it takes a couple of minutes. It's quite simple after a few goes

All I do is change a few details on the account, it takes a couple of minutes. It's quite simple after a few goes

Yes, like a new email and IIRC I had to provide a cc with a local address but I believe you can set up a new account with a gift card. I will admit to keeping the same password for all 3 accounts I appear to have. Once it's set up its fine. Do you buy things from the US store? I haven't, because I don't have US payment options but their things often seem cheaper to my untrained eye!

Hi,

I have a UK brought IPad. This might sound stupid but can someone tell me if I'll be able to use this when I move to perth and what adapters etc do I need?

I need to make sure I have it for communication otherwise my family might not let me go!!

cheers

laura

I agree with Quoll. Definitely get it unlocked - don't do it online, go into your dealer's shop and talk to whoever the kid is that looks like they have the most knowledge! I had a great lad unlock mine from EE and he was spot on with his explanations. Also I didnt do it last minute as if it didn't work I could go back to him.

Guest guest41161

Brought 2 ipads and iphones from Oz to Uk. 12 months on and still not bought an adapter for these. USBs are everywhere, hotels, computers, car adapters, TVs, my surround sound etc etc.

Hi guys,

did you buy you adapters etc and change accounts before arriving in Australia? I would like to be immediately able to use my iPad x

Laura, does your ipad take a SIM card or is it just wi-if? If it's just wi-if you can connect anywhere straight away to any free wi-fi like in McDonald's etc. if no free wi-fi, you'll have to find somewhere that you can pay for access.

if you can take a SIM card for 3G you have had some good advice on here already and will be able to use it as you would a smart phone so long as you have 'phone' signal.

In terms of leads etc they are universal so all you need is a travel adapter for the power supply (same as you you need for any uk plug electronic item) I assume you'll have one for you camera/ phone anyway, a few quid from amazon.

you don't 'have' to change you apple account over, it's just to allow you to the apps relevant in that country.

Top tip; bring a few uk trailing sockets with you to Oz. That way you only have to change the plug on on the trailing socket, and you can keep the uk plugs on all your uk electricals that group together (tv, dvd, entertainment; computer, monitor, printer; bedside lamps, alarm clocks etc)

Saves having to change the plugs on everything!

You'll need to set up an Aussie account with Aus credit/gift card and address but swapping between the stores is easy enough - I keep my laptop on UK store and my devices on Aus store and the updates seem to get mingled ok.

If your iPad is locked to a network, you'll need to get it unlocked before you leave

Uk ipads are not locked to networks.

They are not meant to be locked thats why even in the report it suggests that customers who received locked ipads may have to return them.. hence its even described as ......"We're unsure as to whether there is a case for customers who received locked iPad 2 devices to return them to the retailer but this is an interesting scenario from a consumer and a middleman point of view....".

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2011/03/31/some-uk-ipad-2-are-network-locked-report/#ixzz2irHWqOSs."

They are not meant to be locked thats why even in the report it suggests that customers who received locked ipads may have to return them.. hence its even described as ......"We're unsure as to whether there is a case for customers who received locked iPad 2 devices to return them to the retailer but this is an interesting scenario from a consumer and a middleman point of view....".

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2011/03/31/some-uk-ipad-2-are-network-locked-report/#ixzz2irHWqOSs."

Plenty have been apparently, so probably worth checking http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-carriers/39504-uk-ipad-3g-they-locked-like-mobiles.html. I bought all my apple things outright so never had a problem

Archived