Will the budget make us be glad of our decision!!

thekeans

When I read the title of the post I naively thought it was about the impending Aus budget and whether people regretted coming here (must start the day with a strong cup of coffee in future!). With the financially inept mob we now have at the helm I wouldnt be surprised if the message isnt the same when our budget is looming. :arghh:

As for better life for the kids - it is interesting that most Aussie kids, when they get to their gap year, cannot wait to get out of this place! Many of them dont want to come back - my eldest has emigrated back again because of better career prospects and "lifestyle" he can have in UK that he cant have here!!! His only complaint is that he cant get a decent cup of coffee there - although he is optimistic that they are improving! He went for a gap year nearly 6 years ago and has only been back for a holiday to clear out his bedroom! He has however had a wonderful time visiting Europe and Egypt and has no intention of returning for at least another 5 years and probably not even then.

I think we are living in a world where familiarity breeds contempt and a general belief that the grass is greener elsewhere! (Ours is usually brown!)

Guest earlswood
Oh crap! Forgot about them. However, as I am the size of a beached whale I think it would do a u-turn. I have a great fascination with sharks, mainly due to the old Jaws films. Just love them! My sister lives in Edgewater and my dad is in Kallaroo so many days were spent down on Mullalloo beach but I hardly went in the water. Did not have a problem with the family going in but not me. I used to stand on the beach and keep an eye out.

I think that as you are still young and were living in London I can see why the pace of life is too slow for you.

We live in a small town in East Sussex. The furthest I have ventured is Brighton for the nightlife. We will be after a quiet relaxed life, well as quiet and relaxed as it can be with two boys. I do worry about the financial side of it alot but I am lucky with having my family there. My OH has a big family here but he is adamant he wants to go. I think that once I am there I will never want to come back here. I was born and lived most of my life abroad until parents sent me back here for boarding school. I have always felt that I would not live my days out here.

Claire

Claire gal, you have got you head screwed on and know the score:notworthy:

I am sure you will love Perth as it is a great place for a family but not for a townie like me....go for it you will love it as will your boys.

Guest claire&fred
Claire gal, you have got you head screwed on and know the score:notworthy:

I am sure you will love Perth as it is a great place for a family but not for a townie like me....go for it you will love it as will your boys.

Thanks hun. Hope you find the life you want too!

Claire

I meant it was an eye opener to immigration in general. I have nothing against the Poles or any other immigrant as generally they are harder workers and keener to succeed than the locals.

I was more shocked by the behaviour of the young english people and their reaction to competition in the workplace.

I agree i employed lots of poles in london, and they work harder and complanin less.

My wife is also polish, and the programme showed that young english dole bludgers are not intrested in working for a living,prefer to blame foriegn workers for stealing jobs....rubbish people in britain just do not want these jobs!! they would much prefer to live on the dole and blame some else for lack of work....

Thats why we are moving to australia, better life, better climate and laid back.

Cant wait.

Guest claire&fred
Paying tax on things in Oz is no different to paying tax in the UK..We have high prices, cigarettes are on par with UK along with alcohol...Dont think you are coming here to be better off as soon as you get here..We were very much mistaken...Food prices are high and rising, school fees, petrol etc...its all just the same as the UK...

However whats money ..sure it's nice to have it but I have learnt a huge lesson since being here...Paul earns a very very good wage but we still have bills to pay...We still are no better off monetary wise..Australia too has its problems and people complain about taxes..Its the same the world over..

Hate it??? Not us...Our quality of life is far greater than it was in England..We actually live and not exist...Just dont expect to come here thinking its gonna be breeze as you will be very much mistaken...

Jo x

I agree with you completely. Life will not be a bed of roses and it is a real worry to me. However, the fact that you say the quality of life is far greater than it is here puts a smile on my face.

Claire

ok, we are all agreed that the cost of living is high, wages are crap, longer hours at work, less daylight (qld) interest rates sky high, Medicare, petrol, bla , bla, bla,,,,, but through all this i keep hearing over and over again about quality of life.

am i missing something, could someone please explain?

I agree i employed lots of poles in london, and they work harder and complanin less.

My wife is also polish, and the programme showed that young english dole bludgers are not intrested in working for a living,prefer to blame foriegn workers for stealing jobs....rubbish people in britain just do not want these jobs!! they would much prefer to live on the dole and blame some else for lack of work....

Thats why we are moving to australia, better life, better climate and laid back.

Cant wait.

I can see both sides of the case, but a lot of my good friends in the building trade are sick of having the Poles undercut them and work for less.....one Polish lad the other day said he was now sending more money back from child tax credits/allowances to his wife and 3 kids STILL IN POLAND than he could earn in Poland working as a Tiler.:arghh:

...no wonder he can afford to work for less here if his family is being taken care of back home.......I didn't believe it at first until I saw an MP on the news today trying to justify the Government sending over £120 million to Europe in benefits to support families of workers currently working in the UK..........pure madness...

.but who can blame the Polish for an easy ride.........:no:

Aldo.....Its about getting yourself out there...The sun is out now!!!!

I have to admit though that since Eddie n Tina have been out here it has been heaps easier...It is hard makin friends and I so didnt want to set up an "english community" but I guess it's inevitable..My kids dont need walking to school so dont even meet people there...I know the Browning family, moved in across the road so thats another matey and lovley they are too, thier daughter just started school this week and Lisa commented on how lovely the mums are there... Maybe you should get down to the local school, with your baby, ok so they may not be school age but hey its a thought:)We have even made firm friends with our mortgage broker and she is lovley...Our real estate agent invited us over for a bbq but again she is english...

Shame ya aint up on the SC as we could all meet up for a beer:) hmmmm didnt we arrange to do that many moons ago??...We venture out every weekend, and just love exploring, but like I say its always nicer when you have friends to share it all with...

Jo x

I am a great believer in the old saying"high fences make great nieghbours" I've got mates here, moostly poms or "ex poms" but i miss just jumping in a cab, turning up at a pub knowing at least one mate will be propping up the bar, and getting drunk and talking boll###s. The bbq thing doesn't do it for me, completly different atmosphere. And if its all about "friends" what about friends back home?

I also keep hearing the "i love the laid back lifestyle" thing. IMO people are more uptight here than anyone (maybe not the Germans) if you want to fart you must have a permit!

Guest earlswood
I am a great believer in the old saying"high fences make great nieghbours" I've got mates here, moostly poms or "ex poms" but i miss just jumping in a cab, turning up at a pub knowing at least one mate will be propping up the bar, and getting drunk and talking boll###s. The bbq thing doesn't do it for me, completly different atmosphere. And if its all about "friends" what about friends back home?

I also keep hearing the "i love the laid back lifestyle" thing. IMO people are more uptight here than anyone (maybe not the Germans) if you want to fart you must have a permit!

I agree 100% with that, at work everyone is soooo frigging uptight and whingers , the ozzies I work with are a right bunch of miserable stewards and never ever will theu go for a pint after work....whats all that about?

Archived