Converting UK driving licence (in Victoria): paper counterpart required?

Becksie

Dear all,

I've got an appointment with VicRoads to convert my UK driving licence into a Victorian one.

My question: Is showing my UK photocard enough? My paper counterpart is currently in storage somewhere else (by mistake :embarrassed: ). If I'll need the counterpart too, I'll probably have to apply for a replacement from the DVLA first.

Cheers,

Becksie

Hopefully you'll get a Victoria-specific answer soon but, if only to give you some hope, up here in Queensland the plastic photo card part was all they wanted to see. They were more concerned about me have the proper "100 points of identification including proof of current address".

Dear all,

I've got an appointment with VicRoads to convert my UK driving licence into a Victorian one.

My question: Is showing my UK photocard enough? My paper counterpart is currently in storage somewhere else (by mistake :embarrassed: ). If I'll need the counterpart too, I'll probably have to apply for a replacement from the DVLA first.

Cheers,

Becksie

I'm 95% certain VicRoads were happy with just my photocard when I exchanged in Melbourne.

Dear all,

Cheers,

Becksie

Check the VicRoads website.

I went to the Warragul vic roads and they just asked for the plastic cards.

I had gotten my first licence there over 15 years earlier, they gave my original number back and we both left with two licences.

It did cost us over $300 for the privilege though.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Guys

I have also got a question regarding licenses. My wife and I are moving to Melbourne in 3 months time and her UK license has recently expired. Will she need to renew her UK license before we arrive Melbourne? Cause I didn't see the point wasting money renewing the UK one, only to fork out more money in Australia to convert it to a Victorian one.

Please advise

Cheers

It costs GBP20 to renew. In the grand scale of emigration, it's a drop in the ocean. Would your wife really give up driving for 3 months to save 20 quid? And besides which, Australian licences are so expensive that even using the GB licence for a few months before getting around to getting a Victorian licence would be worth the money - even if VicRoads would do an exchange for an expired licence.

It costs GBP20 to renew. In the grand scale of emigration, it's a drop in the ocean. Would your wife really give up driving for 3 months to save 20 quid? And besides which, Australian licences are so expensive that even using the GB licence for a few months before getting around to getting a Victorian licence would be worth the money - even if VicRoads would do an exchange for an expired licence.

Thanks for your input but to answer your question... Of course my wife wouldn't come off the road for 3 months for the sake of 20 quid!! She hasn't been driving for months as she has no need to.... So using a little bit of common sense I thought there wouldn't be much point renewing her old UK licence IF Victoria would accept her expired license...

But seein there may be an issue we will get it renewed.

Archived