Question for those already living in Australia

Stuju

Guest lynneflinn

Hello guys

my skin is crawling after reading about the spiders, especially when you say they are across hedges and could go in your face. Im terrified of them. Could they really make you want to come back to the UK, or do you get used to them. How often would you see a red back or a huntsman, and do they live in the cities (I know i sound like a daft geordie bird) but if you were going to sit in the garden whould you have to check under the table & chairs?

I am dreading the replies!!!

Flinny

Hiya it varies greatly ,Im on acerage ,ive been here nearly 18mth and only ever seen one redback,no whitetails and and a handful of huntsmen.I was petrified as any wanted down followers will rememeber but you do get better and braver.I have a yearly pest spray of the house inside and out and thankfully get next to nothing crawling around.you can spray outdoor furniture etc with surface spray which will deter them making a home there!

Cal x

Hi Gizmo got some real bad news for you as you know my sister lives just up the road from you at avoca and a couple of years ago was getting the washing in and got bit by a spider she collapsed and was rushed into hospital but the Dr did tell us that we had to be prepared for the worse and sure enough the worst happend she turned into spider woman ha ha lol .No joking aside she did get bit from something while collecting her washing she thinks it may of been a spider who had got in the clothes she felt poorly for a few days afterwards

8_1_216.gif I've seen her webbs - we all actually wondred what the big white mist was over Avoca - now we know - not a place we venture too as heard that some strange folk walk the streets that way !!!!!!!!!!! pleased to hear that the bite wasnt too serious

cheers

gizmo

Guest Helaine

OMG......sitting crossed legged AGAIN !! this happened the last time i read one of the threads about the spiders, the washing doesnt bother me its our dog she has thick longish fur and even over here i panic whats crawling in her fur.....here come the clippers !!

OH my god now toatlly freaked!!!!

was looking forward to the fact no longer having washing draped over my radiators. Just to add have two dryers but so noisy and house only small dont use them.

Spiders webs and fruit bat pooh yuk! give me any radiators or therapy!

• 7 years later...

I think you just have to accept that when you live in Australia, you have to share your living space with a variety of animals. We have possums, rats, spiders, cockroaches, moths, flies, mozzies, strange black worms, and presumably heaps of things we can't see. It's just life.

Archived