Buy plug adaptors or replace with UK plugs

Guest Jean95

Hi we have returned to the UK from Oz just last week. We have shipped some stuff including electrical goods (lamps, fridge, TV). I have one adaptor but question is....... do I chop the Oz plugs off our stuff and replace or buy some more adaptors?

Buying adaptors would be the easiest option. Does anyone know where I can get them besides Ebay. Feel these may be a bit dodgy.

We have also shipped some Oz power boards which we thought would be handy needing only one adaptor/plug change for several items.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Cheers J

We've done a mix - use adapters with stuff with transformers like DS charger, Aus powerboards for TV/HiFi etc. and changed plugs on some individual stuff like hair dryer, kettle - some of them changed from UK-Aus-UK again :) My OH is a hoarder and had kept all the original UK plugs!

If you are looking at moving back for good, then it would be better to change all the plugs over. We used adapters on the stuff we brought from the UK here for the first year or so and it really started betting a pain in the side. If you are going to buy adapters for all the stuff, you might as well spend a few hours getting UK plugs and changing them all over. It will also be safer

If you are moving back as a permanent move then change the plugs. By using adapters you are adding a joint to the cable and any joint is a potential to over heat if the connection is not perfect. Possible to cause damage to cable or even a fire risk. If its a temporary move then use adapters with care.

Thanks for all your replies. This is a permanent move and I wouldn't want to pose any sort of safety risk. I will probably buy some UK plugs and change them over. Hopefully I can remember how to do that as it has been a long time. :biggrin:. There is always good old google of course.

hi was just wondering where you got your oz plugs from as we cant find any anywhere bought a travel adapter but only one as they are 10 dollars each here and they are £1 in england from pound shops (could kick myself lol) hubby wants to change all the plugs over to oz ones

Take a couple of Aus power boards for things where you can't change the plug...phone chargers and the like. Just change the one plug on the end of the power board.

For all the rest, change the plug. Adaptors are a pain in the posterior and many of them (unless you're careful buying) are only for fairly low power goods and might be unsafe on things with a heavy draw.

I don't see changing plugs as anything time consuming or difficult. Am I the only one old enough to remember when every electrical item you bought came with bare wires on the end and you had to buy/install a plug?

Take a couple of Aus power boards for things where you can't change the plug...phone chargers and the like. Just change the one plug on the end of the power board.

For all the rest, change the plug. Adaptors are a pain in the posterior and many of them (unless you're careful buying) are only for fairly low power goods and might be unsafe on things with a heavy draw.

I don't see changing plugs as anything time consuming or difficult. Am I the only one old enough to remember when every electrical item you bought came with bare wires on the end and you had to buy/install a plug?

Yes I do remember having to buy plugs separate. Was surprised when we went to Oz and everything came with the plug already attached. Use to attach them myself all the time. But it was a long time ago. We were is Australia for 26 years and the brain cells ain't what they used to be but I'm sure I can work it out. We have also shipped some power boards and extension cables so we should be good. Thanks.

Don't think separate plugs are the norm in Australia. I think attaching your own plugs is discouraged. I seem to remember seeing some in hardware shops like Bunnings and also the electrical sections of some supermarkets.

This one made me laugh because we kept all our plugs after chopping more than a few off. The tv things all plugged into uk power board which hubby replaced plug to oz also all the pc things in a power board with oz plug. Things like toaster kettle etc all changed but we still have the uk plugs here hehehe. We also will be changing them back on arrival home early next year and cant wait..................

Guest sidster
hi was just wondering where you got your oz plugs from as we cant find any anywhere bought a travel adapter but only one as they are 10 dollars each here and they are £1 in england from pound shops (could kick myself lol) hubby wants to change all the plugs over to oz ones

Bunnings in the electrical section

Archived