Anyone else driven all the way around Australia?

zk2102

Beginning to think I was mad to agree to it, but after much pressure from DH & the kids we're going to spend between 2-3 months embarking on a road trip all the way round before we settle down for the long haul. Will be needing a lot of advice & ideas from all of you! Guess it will be a once in a lifetime adventure, and we'll get to see heaps of wildlife etc.. But 3 months in a camper van with my lot...:chatterbox:

Really, ok. We havnt really sat down and worked out the route yet. We all have a list of things we'd like to do & see. But I guess Australia is massive, and we will have to whittle it down. If you have any places that you would consider a must see, please let me know :biggrin:

Maybe start another thread, stating what your interests are..country/ beach, sight seeing etc etc, and get people to suggest places around oz with your interest in mind. If u don't like bush, no point heading where u won't see another human for hours on end..I'm sure you get my

Think I will start some other thread like u suggest. Trouble is we want to see it all, Bush & Beach. Love, love, love wildlife, all of us.

thanks for your input.

Really, ok. We havnt really sat down and worked out the route yet. We all have a list of things we'd like to do & see. But I guess Australia is massive, and we will have to whittle it down. If you have any places that you would consider a must see, please let me know :biggrin:

Have a squiz at The Pilbara and The Kimberley Region of WA. That could take you a few months alone. Then there is the Top End, another few months...Then The Red Centre would be a few months The Cape Region Of Qld is worth another few months, then the Cassowary Coast of Qld etc.etc.

Cheers, Bobj.

I lived there in the swinging 60's not sure I can remember much though!!! Best not ask why, but it was all happening then, such fun.

single, air hostess, and everything was changing so fast.

can anyone else remember Eel Pie Island?

Sorry have taken this off thread, just the thought of Richmond bought back so many memories.

australia is great fun to explore, we have travelled round lots, and to be honest, it's so diverse that even if you only manage a small part you will enjoy it.

No real point as you'll get to see a hell of a lot of tarmac with diversions en route. Australia is a very big country. You can drive for many hours with little change to your environment. Probably rather tedious, especially if attempting it in a narrow time frame.

Do what others have suggested and do it in stages. It'll be more rewarding and less stress.

Have a squiz at The Pilbara and The Kimberley Region of WA. That could take you a few months alone. Then there is the Top End, another few months...Then The Red Centre would be a few months The Cape Region Of Qld is worth another few months, then the Cassowary Coast of Qld etc.etc.

Cheers, Bobj.

Lol, I can imagine your thinking 'here come some more ignorant poms' and D'ya know what, your right. Actually sat down today and worked ou times/mileages etc... Completely unrealistic timescale!

Back to the drawing board:biggrin:

Ps.. I love Richmond, went to Brunel Uni in isleworth, uncle lives in isleworth...loved sitting in the pub by the river, having lunch in giraffe! Fab

We love Richmond too. It's been a great place to live & bring up our kids:biggrin:.

We've eaten in Giraffe a few times when the kids were younger. Been a great summer this year for sitting in the beer gardens by the river. We will miss it, but it's time to move on.

I lived there in the swinging 60's not sure I can remember much though!!! Best not ask why, but it was all happening then, such fun.

single, air hostess, and everything was changing so fast.

can anyone else remember Eel Pie Island?

Sorry have taken this off thread, just the thought of Richmond bought back so many memories.

australia is great fun to explore, we have travelled round lots, and to be honest, it's so diverse that even if you only manage a small part you will enjoy it.

Im jealous! I would have loved to have been around when Eel Pie island was more than an unaffordable housing estate! We still have lots of free music festivals in the summer, but Richmond has never been able to recreate anything like the Crawdaddy or Eel Pie since those days.

We're so looking forward to our move to Oz.

This is why I love this Forum, lots of people to offer sound advice to complete air heads like me :wink:.

been back to the drawing board today and have taken on board all the comments.

Being more realistic we have decided that the thing to do is fly & rent near Brissy initially. When registered with all the necessary todo list things, we will take a month or more & travel up to Cairns. So any advice on good wildlife areas/fossicking sites will be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure that our camping equipment would have arrived by the time we set off so will be looking for camp sites with static tents (not really hotel type family, like to be in amongst it all). So excited, the next few months are going to fly by.

Archived