Family members warning us not to go back to the UK

Alexia

In my experience of living abroad, i would say if your ready to go home then just do it and dont listern to them.

End of the day they dont know how good they have it. you have experienced both sides and it is just time.

You are from the UK so naturally you will always be comfortable there so if thats what you want then I would go for it.

Jobs are easy to get in the UK if you really want one and are prepared to travel for work (basically motivated). A job like welding shouldnt be a problem.

much to the contrary of the media, the Uk is starting to motor towards the good times again regardless of all the news talk of government departments and policy etc...

Australia is going the opposite way I'm afraid and I believe in a few years things here will start to become hard, Australia has gone soft in these boom times and is uncompetitive to the rest of the world.

On the flip side the grass is always greener. If you are in a good job and settled and leading a comfortable life then I wouldn't risk it. Contrary to what a lot of people are telling you the UK has changed a lot and is not the place it used to be. There are a lot of people struggling financially, and I wouldn't like you to have that problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there my advice is wherever you settle once your kids go to school you will really settle into the community especially if you pick an area around like minded people. For the first few years in oz I made lots of friends through work but it wasn't really until I started being around at drop off and pick up at school once or twice a week that I really started to feel part of a community. Helping out at the school fete and other stuff helped too. Good luck wherever you decide to live

After 6 1/2 years in Australia we have finally taken the plunge and decided to return to the UK (house sold, flights booked). We've had 4 children in Australia aged 5, 2 and 6mth old twins and have gone back and forth in our minds about going back constantly since the birth of our first child. We've come close to going before, getting removalists quotes etc. but for one reason or another have not made the move. We have never really felt settled here and have lived in 6 houses (5 Dandenong Ranges, 1 Tassie) in the time we have lived in Aus. You would think that close family and friends who know our situation and know how unhappy and unsettled we are here, would understand why we would want to return. However, most of the conversations we have with certain people involve them telling us that we don't appreciate how good we've got it here, how terrible life is in the UK, how miserable we're going to be, how if hubby is lucky enough to find work he'll be taken for a ride by his employer and made to work every hour under the sun for peanuts etc etc. Due to the line of work he is in (welding), he's not really able to apply for jobs before we arrive. We've repeatedly tried to explain to them our issues and that it's different living here to being on holiday. I'm worried that we won't be able to grumble to them about anything when we get back and if it doesn't work out they'll be telling us "I told you so". I think one of the reasons it's taken us so long to go back is their negativity towards being in the UK. Has anyone else been in this kind of situation?

People who live in the UK and have never been to Oz think that Oz is Eutopia and always ask what are you coming back for !

Home is where the heart is and if your heart is not in Oz go for it

If you are undecided then go over for a trip and look around since. The UK is in a mess and Aus is a pretty good place to be at present.

Disagree, Roger, the UK is on its way out of a mess, my pals all report good work, things picking up nicely. lots of work for the tradies at the moment. All my pals and family upbeat, looking forward to what appears to be a traditional UK christmas. cold! To the OP Good idea to visit tho ,remember people move on do their own thing and after a while of seeing you life goes on for you too, its what you make of it. bug bear of mine when peeps say never come back to the Uk its a sh*tole etc when they never left the place, and worse, some of my Aus pals say Aus best country in the world when they have never even left WA

We all have our perspective on things - I'm looking at the long term future of where I want to be and the future as a retiree in the UK is not one I want for me. However each to their own and I wish you all happiness in your future.

no probs at all and a valued comment. I wonder what the future holds for myself as a retiree in Perth, or UK, both concern me. neither country is doom and and gloom, but the state of pensioners in Perth is similar to that of those in the UK for different reasons.

no probs at all and a valued comment. I wonder what the future holds for myself as a retiree in Perth, or UK, both concern me. neither country is doom and and gloom, but the state of pensioners in Perth is similar to that of those in the UK for different reasons.

We are retirees and going back to live in the UK because we find life is 'easier 'there Where we live we have to rely on the car and distance can become a problem

In the UK because the terrain is much smaller we will use buses and public transport much more often We do plane to come back to Adelaide on a regular basis so reality is we have the best of both worlds as we can fly to Spain etc from the UK in a couple of hours

....and I do not want a future as a retiree in Australia.....the thought horrifies me

I think being a retiree in Aus could be pretty good - as long as you were loaded and could afford medical care, beach house, boat etc, living the dream! All that warmth good for arthritis too!

As for me, I want to join the ramblers, potter round National Trust and English Heritage properties, join my mates for U3A, pilates and yoga down the village hall, drink a nice pint of beer in a welcoming pub with a lovely fire in the winter, and spend my long summer evenings tending my garden!! ... and when I start moaning about the weather, grab an Easyjet special to Greece......

After 6 1/2 years in Australia we have finally taken the plunge and decided to return to the UK (house sold, flights booked). We've had 4 children in Australia aged 5, 2 and 6mth old twins and have gone back and forth in our minds about going back constantly since the birth of our first child. We've come close to going before, getting removalists quotes etc. but for one reason or another have not made the move. We have never really felt settled here and have lived in 6 houses (5 Dandenong Ranges, 1 Tassie) in the time we have lived in Aus. You would think that close family and friends who know our situation and know how unhappy and unsettled we are here, would understand why we would want to return. However, most of the conversations we have with certain people involve them telling us that we don't appreciate how good we've got it here, how terrible life is in the UK, how miserable we're going to be, how if hubby is lucky enough to find work he'll be taken for a ride by his employer and made to work every hour under the sun for peanuts etc etc. Due to the line of work he is in (welding), he's not really able to apply for jobs before we arrive. We've repeatedly tried to explain to them our issues and that it's different living here to being on holiday. I'm worried that we won't be able to grumble to them about anything when we get back and if it doesn't work out they'll be telling us "I told you so". I think one of the reasons it's taken us so long to go back is their negativity towards being in the UK. Has anyone else been in this kind of situation?

Hi I can really relate to your thread. I have a 6 yr old and a 2 yr old but no twins! I have been here for 10 years and have had good and bad years but always toy with the idea of going back. I think it is hard when you have a young family as you feel so torn about extended family etc. I have had close family members dissuade me from going back saying how good it is in Australia. However they do not know what it is like to be here without extended family.

I know that it is a big deal as I get quite jealous of all the aussie mates who can just pop down to granny's or get them to look after the kids overnights etc. Australia offers a great standard of living and lifestyle and that is what you will give up the dream of an outdoor, laidback life. But if you can accept that and are realistic about what you are returning to why not do it? Sounds like many of your rellies are taking their stresses out on you. when i use to complain about things in australia my sister used to say things like well at least it is always sunny!!!!

They may not want to talk to you about it when you get back so prepare yourself for no sympathy....they dont understand and are probably jealous in some small way that you had the guts to do it. I would love to hear more of your journey back. I am very close to doing the same. House prices here are sky high and with the aussie dollar being good, going to the uk is not such a daft idea.

a

My family were pretty surprised when we said we were moving back, although we'd had some terrible times, they weren't due to living in Australia per se and I'm not really one to complain. To many our lives seemed 'perfect' - I had an incredibly good job with company car and all the usual perks, my son was at an incredible school and on track for a place on a gifted and talented programme, we had built our 'dream house' and it probably appeared like we had a good social life too (even though it actually bored me to tears). As much as we were truly missed, those that loved us, wanted the best for us and were worried that we were taking a big risk. Comments like 'do you think you'll be able to find work', or 'you won't find a school like that' or 'you'll never have a house like that again' - could have easily been taken the wrong way but I entirely know they were born out of wanting the best for us and concern that we were returning for them when it wasn't best for us.

In fact we weren't returning for family - only seen them 3 times since we got back in July and it was always going to be that way and things have worked out just perfectly. I have an even better paid job, okay we have opted for a private school but my son has adjusted to a more formal education and is thriving and the house - well we've moved back into one we had rented out but we're looking at buying a different kind of 'dream house' in the country.

I see no change in the local high street 5 years on - in fact there were more empty shops in Fremantle. One of my favourite cafes had closed but it's opening again soon with new owners, every other pub is getting re-furbished and a new one has opened, 9 pubs for a population of 14,000 :)

I know certain areas and trades have been hit hard, I'm not denying that - my parents live in Middlesbrough and the steel works closed down whilst we were away, my parents sent me front pages from the local papers and I was in tears - my dad spent his entire life working in the the steel industry, so you have to make the right choices for you & that means you can't simply 'follow your heart'but if you've done your homework and your decisions are fact based just ignore the doomsayers - whether they have your best interests at heart or not.

Just a final consideration, I think a lot of people's families are proud of there daughter/brother/sister/whoever living in Australia - a kind of vicarious living so when you return it's like they have 'failed' too.

Archived