Advice for a friend whose partner has depression and won't seek help.

Bridgeman

Does anyone know if there are any organisations who can give advice regarding what the situation/options is when a partner seems to be suffering from depression but is denying this and won't seek help from the GP? We have a young friend in this situation who has no family here for support.

I don't know if this is the right organization, I'm basing it on your word 'young' so I'm thinking HEADSPACE, there are HEADSPACE offices across Australia, I know the staff based in the one in my region are awesome, it's geared up for and focused on young people, I see the wonderful work they do on a daily basis....

Beyond Blue is the other organization that is well publicised.

[h=3]beyondblue - Home[/h]www.beyondblue.org.au/‎

Australian organisation provides information about depression to consumers, carers and health professionals.

[TABLE=class: nrgt]

[TR=class: mslg]

[TD]

[h=3]Depression[/h]www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/depressionWhat causes depression - Signs and symptoms - Who can assist

[/TD]

[TD]

[h=3]Men[/h]www.beyondblue.org.au/resources/for-me/menDepression in men - Taking action - Anxiety in men - ...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]

[h=3]Anxiety[/h]www.beyondblue.org.au/the-facts/anxietySigns and symptoms - Types of anxiety - What causes anxiety

[/TD]

[TD]

[h=3]Young people[/h]www.beyondblue.org.au/resources/for-me/young-peopleDepression and anxiety are among the most common ...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD]

[h=3]Get support[/h]www.beyondblue.org.au/get-supportFind a professional - Get started now - The facts - ...

[/TD]

[TD]

[h=3]Women[/h]www.beyondblue.org.au/resources/for-me/womenGood mental health is essential to the overall health of both men ...

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=colspan: 2]More results from beyondblue.org.au »

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

In denial - then buckleys! The non depressed partner could approach their GP for advice/support. If the depressed one is suicidal then the local CAT (or whatever it's called in your state) will respond. Meanwhile perhaps a different focus for joint counselling - just plain old couples communication will be enough to get things out in the open. But, honestly, if a person isn't prepared to acknowledge a problem there is little anyone else can do for them - you can send them to a professional but without acknowledging the problem they are impossible yo work with. Sympathies!!!! Moodgym is another excellent online program - been going for years!

Let them know they're not alone and that it's nothing to be ashamed of. Most people suffer from depression at some point in their lives and it is not a weakness. Admitting they are depressed is the first hurdle and shows great strength of mind and courage. They WILL get better, with their partner's support and possibly counselling and / or anti-depressants if deemed necessary by their GP. Depression is usually the result of a life-changing experience, trauma, bereavement, stress, etc. Once the trigger has been identified then steps can be taken to work it through.

Good luck to them and their partner - they're lucky to have friends such as yourselves to look out for them :-)

• 1 month later...
Guest Lambart

Some tips for your friend to deal with depression.

Engage in regular workout, watch what you eat and remember to laugh. Accept the things your friend cannot change, avoid stimulants and share his problems with you.

Archived