Another 15% visa application fee increase :(

Guest Guest70948

Why should they be able to vote at all? PR is really just long-term guest status. If you're not legally qualified to run for office, you're not qualified to vote for someone else.

PR is more than a guest status, I am a taxpayer like any Australian citizen!

So why should I wait 7 years to become a citizen, when I'm not a criminal and a hard-working taxpayer and we migrants are all here to enhance and build up this beautiful country. A longer waiting period would be arbitrary and gratuitous.

Guest Guest26012

I would think the increase in fees wouldn't deter anyone serious about coming here? A sizeable amount of cash is needed to come here anyhow so the hike in fees should be minimal compared to that.

Aussie military only takes on PR's who are eligible of becoming Australian citizens, so that means nearly 4 years wait for new arrivals, too.

Ozzie military actively recruits direct from the UK military and gives out citizenship almost immediately. Albeit you must already be serving in the UK and have a skill they require.

Nobody can with any certainty say. At least with high prices at source folk should be aware they are coming to an expensive country and be prepared to meet the challenges around that.

No,ive never said i would/will settle in Aus easily,i cant until i live there,obvious i know,but i just dont like setting myself up for a fall,so we'll see,if the hse sells and i get there!

Guest Guest70948

Little Sarah - well of course I expect to pay for the processing of my visa - where did I imply otherwise?

I'm angry as I'm about to apply for my PR visa and I fail to see what could possibly have changed in 2 months to justify such a hike in fees, not one hike but two. Regardless of how comfortable someone is financially - I don't see why we should be happy about it.

Guest Guest70948

Oh and I've lived in Australia for 4 years and only just applying for PR (condition of my employment), I'm not in the UK moaning about how expensive it is to migrate.

I find there to be so much arrogance on this forum - it is so off putting and usually from the people who are already permanantly migrated here - which beg the question, why do you still regularly post on a Migration forum to give your 2 cents about how hard it is to move to Australia, how only the comfortably off will survive here and if you miss your family & friends in the UK, don't bother! Sorry but that is the message I feel is portrayed by many posters and doesn't even slightly resemble my experiences of living and working in Australia.

Oh and I've lived in Australia for 4 years and only just applying for PR (condition of my employment), I'm not in the UK moaning about how expensive it is to migrate.

I find there to be so much arrogance on this forum - it is so off putting and usually from the people who are already permanantly migrated here - which beg the question, why do you still regularly post on a Migration forum to give your 2 cents about how hard it is to move to Australia, how only the comfortably off will survive here and if you miss your family & friends in the UK, don't bother! Sorry but that is the message I feel is portrayed by many posters and doesn't even slightly resemble my experiences of living and working in Australia.

I still come on here because this forum helped me and I like to help others. Calling the Australian government " greedy sh*ts" isn't arrogant then? Why are you posting on here then? Pot & Kettle!

If you don't like it on PIO you are not obliged to stay, just as if you don't like the visa fees you don't need to apply for a visa. Take some control, it might stop you feeling so angry. Now please, this is not the type of discusion we want in the migration forum, but feel free to start a debate elsewhere.

Guest Guest70948

I don't feel angry at all, I was having a rant about the fee increase - but of course I will be paying the fee because I love Aus and my life here. I have posted here over the years for support, shared experiences and advice/info on Migration as I am still in the process. I also find the Migration process interesting and enjoy reading the posts on here - however I stand by my word there is a negative and arrogant undertone!

Perhaps I should have said instead:

"YES another 15% fee increase woohooooooo, I love it when prices rise - especially twice in 2 months and I accept it with a smile as I'm so lucky to have the chance to live in Australia"

Better?

I don't feel angry at all, I was having a rant about the fee increase - but of course I will be paying the fee because I love Aus and my life here. I have posted here over the years for support, shared experiences and advice/info on Migration as I am still in the process. I also find the Migration process interesting and enjoy reading the posts on here - however I stand by my word there is a negative and arrogant undertone!

Perhaps I should have said instead:

"YES another 15% fee increase woohooooooo, I love it when prices rise - especially twice in 2 months and I accept it with a smile as I'm so lucky to have the chance to live in Australia"

Better?

I am objecting to your comments about posters on PIO and why they stick around. Nobody needs to explain to you why they stick around and the biggest dose of negativity on this thread right now is coming from you. Now knock it off, I will not ask you again.

I think there definitely an attitude of "I'm alright, Jack".

The OP was complaining that the fees have increased twice in a year. We're not talking about the price of petrol for which there is A) international price movements outside the control of the Oz govt, and B) a competitive market. I think most people expect the visa charges to be changed once a year, or after significant changes to the process. And most would agree that the costs of visa processing should be met by those benefiting from them. But twice in 2 months with a15% increase looks like a rort to me.

Now, as has been pointed out, most who don't object to the increase are not subject to it, because they already have PR or citizenship already. They don't seem to appreciate that this is the thin end of the wedge. Once the govt has worked out that exploiting a monopoly has no tangible negative side effects, it's just a question of time before they apply the same rationale elsewhere. Then you'll be paying to have your PR visa rubber stamped once a year. Just 100$ admin fee at first. All the time backed up with the mantra "If you don't like it, leave". It makes a great bumper sticker, but poor govt policy.

This is the migration forum, it is for questions about the visa application process. I left the thread here as it was about the cost of visas as it has now descended into a debate on perceptions on other posters "attitudes" i am going to close the thread. Take it some where else.

Archived