Another 15% visa application fee increase :(

Guest Guest70948

Guest littlesarah

Well, applying for a visa isn't compulsory. Who do you think should pay for visa processing - the Australian taxpayer or the person seeking to come and live here? It costs what it costs, and the Aussie government is in the position where it charge what it likes, so there isn't anything any prospective migrant can do about it. Personally, I was content to pay for the right to live in Australia permanently, even though I could have got a cheaper visa.

Guest littlesarah

I always said that it is the right of a country to decide the terms of migration, including the fees; just as it is my right to decide where, if anywhere I want to migrate to. If a person is struggling just to pay for a visa, they really should think carefully about whether the risks associated with moving to the other side of the world are worth taking.

I always said that it is the right of a country to decide the terms of migration, including the fees; just as it is my right to decide where, if anywhere I want to migrate to. If a person is struggling just to pay for a visa, they really should think carefully about whether the risks associated with moving to the other side of the world are worth taking.

I agree. Immigration is not for the faint hearted. Far too many chancers risking everything. Now if we can only stretch to seven years the time required to take out Australian Citizenship.

Guest littlesarah
I agree. Immigration is not for the faint hearted. Far too many chancers risking everything. Now if we can only stretch to seven years the time required to take out Australian Citizenship.

Why seven years? I recently submitted my citizenship application, and I can't see how making me wait another 3 years would make any difference. I plan on staying put, and now that we've a baby on the way wouldn't be able to leave without my husband anyway.

Why seven years? I recently submitted my citizenship application, and I can't see how making me wait another 3 years would make any difference. I plan on staying put, and now that we've a baby on the way wouldn't be able to leave without my husband anyway.

Australian citizenship is obtained in too short a time in my opinion. Many only stay long enough to obtain it then leave. I can't think of another country that has such a short time. Most countries state ten years. Seven years would be a compromise between the two.

Guest littlesarah
Australian citizenship is obtained in too short a time in my opinion. Many only stay long enough to obtain it then leave. I can't think of another country that has such a short time. Most countries state ten years. Seven years would be a compromise between the two.

If they increased the time to obtain citizenship, would you advocate extending voting rights to those with PR? Not that I'm really all that fussed on having to choose between the two major showers of fools that pass for political parties these days (another discussion, I realise)...

The residence requirement for Canada is 3 years, USA 5 years, France 5 years, NZ 1350 days (which is 3.6 years), UK 5 years, Argentina 2 years if you hold a PR visa. Spain is 10 years, the only one out of that (admittedly small) sample. Britain and Spain offer a reduction in time to naturalisation to people married to a citizen (which would be me in the case of Australia).

I don't really understand why it is a problem if a person decides to leave - after all, I'm a British citizen and left that country. Some day I may choose to return - who knows? Australia can and has refused to issue a passport to those who have conferred citizenship who haven't been here for a minimum time (which is fair enough).

I feel for those going thru the process now,much harder and more expensive than when i got my visa,hopefully it will be worth it for the majority

Nobody can with any certainty say. At least with high prices at source folk should be aware they are coming to an expensive country and be prepared to meet the challenges around that.

If they increased the time to obtain citizenship, would you advocate extending voting rights to those with PR? Not that I'm really all that fussed on having to choose between the two major showers of fools that pass for political parties these days (another discussion, I realise)...

Those on PR could vote but not compulsory. Seven years makes perfect since to me and restores added value to citizenship.

I think the OP is asking why another increase in fees, when July already saw an increase. I too have to wonder why?

taking everything into account from visas, shipping, flights, set up costs etc, a average family isn't going to have any change from 30,000 pounds.

Is it worth it? I love it here but for me personally, especially if I had a decent job then no. I could think of plenty of other ways to enjoy that kind of money rather than lining Australia's pockets.

Four years is a pretty long time to stay if it were purely for citizenship and nothing else. I don't think extending another 3 years would be beneficial, although the previous two years does seem like it was a bit soft. I was going to say that I thought UK was four years in response to you not being able to think of another country that has such a short qualification time, but somebody has mentioned it is 5, so not much different.

Four years is a pretty long time to stay if it were purely for citizenship and nothing else. I don't think extending another 3 years would be beneficial, although the previous two years does seem like it was a bit soft. I was going to say that I thought UK was four years in response to you not being able to think of another country that has such a short qualification time, but somebody has mentioned it is 5, so not much different.

Most European countries that I am aware of is ten unless changed in recent years. Some are very hard to get if not of blood. Must check the latest. I agree Australia does differ being a settler country meaning various carrots are dangled in order to attract those desired.

Most European countries that I am aware of is ten unless changed in recent years. Some are very hard to get if not of blood. Must check the latest. I agree Australia does differ being a settler country meaning various carrots are dangled in order to attract those desired.

I find these forums really useful but I find a lot of sniping going on - it ruins the forum.

I have just checked out the French rules for citizenship and see that is also now five years. Although having long dealt with French bureaucracy I wonder just how easy it really is? But officially five years stand. All changed since my time living there. Perhaps the EU has a ruling on the matter now that all countries comply by? I'll check out the German site later.

In that case my suggestion of a longer period prior to claiming Australian citizenship would be wrong.

In what form do you find sniping going on? A forum after all offers a variety of opinion and differences of opinion. How could it possibly be anything other than?

I am aware of the context in a forum and I'm all for a difference of opinion but sometimes opinions of others should be taken on board at times other than those of your own. Just because someone doesn't agree with one opinion it doesn't mean it's wrong and can sometimes come across like that on posts that I have read. Can be quite off putting.

But that's just my humble opinion.

I am aware of the context in a forum and I'm all for a difference of opinion but sometimes opinions of others should be taken on board at times other than those of your own. Just because someone doesn't agree with one opinion it doesn't mean it's wrong and can sometimes come across like that on posts that I have read. Can be quite off putting.

But that's just my humble opinion.

I didn't see any sniping on the thread, if that were more of a general comment could you start a thread in CTF or something, but please not in the migration forum. Thanks.

I have just checked out the French rules for citizenship and see that is also now five years. Although having long dealt with French bureaucracy I wonder just how easy it really is? But officially five years stand. All changed since my time living there. Perhaps the EU has a ruling on the matter now that all countries comply by? I'll check out the German site later.

In that case my suggestion of a longer period prior to claiming Australian citizenship would be wrong.

It's an interesting thread. In Germany migrants have to wait 8 years. I'm from Germany, so I know a lot of migrants. Also a citizenship test has been introduced a couple of years ago.

But my mother-in-law had to wait 28 years because she didn't want to give up her British nationality. In Germany you couldn't hold 2 nationalities like Britain or Australia does, they changed this rule in 2010 or so but only for migrants from the EU, all other have to give up their old citizenship which I found ridiculous in modern times (okay, this would lead to another discussion).

A 4 years wait for obtaining Australian citizenship is long enough, I doubt that people only stay that long for getting citizenship.

But in the old days where migrants only waited 2 years I knew some German fellows and Brits as well who did so. They didn't like it here that much but held out in order to return with a citizenship certificate just in case they would change their mind (most never did).

I think Australia seems to take a more sensible view to citizenship an example is if an Ozzie joined the British military you would have to wait 5 years to gain citizenship in which time you could be killed (and that happened not that long ago sadly) or very seriously injured. If a Pom joins the Ozzie military you will have citizenship (or at least an application) before you are deployed anywhere.

Aussie military only takes on PR's who are eligible of becoming Australian citizens, so that means nearly 4 years wait for new arrivals, too.

Regarding the 15 % visa fee increase I found it sad for new applicants, but on the other hand everything gets more and more expensive, so do the visa fees.

Of course, easy to say for me, because we managed to come here before that happened.

Moreover, with the new visa scheme which makes migration more difficult there a fewer and fewer applicants anyway. So there is a earnings gap for DIAC which will be refilled by the remaining visa applicants.

Archived