Broadband and Mobile Phones

Misplaced

Evening all,

Well having landed just over a week ago and making a little mistake with the mobile phones deal we got its going ok.

Now to the question we are in a furnished rental at the moment and are looking to move out towards the end of September and this is where I am hoping someone can help me. We will need broadband in our new rental and the kids play WOW and watch YouTube videos......who is the best company to go with in the ACT?

Next question does anyone know if any of the mobile phone providers do family deals?

Cheers,

Mis

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

we are on iinet for our internet and I am happy to recommend them to anyone that can get their lines. You'll find it will depend who controls the lines into your house. We get phone (landline), TV and internet through them, it's a pretty good deal and their customer service has always been excellent. We get something like 200GB/month allowance I think.

No idea about family deals with the mobile providers!

Can't speak for ACT but very happy with tpg unlimited internet with phone bundle for 59.99 here.

Also use vaya.net.au for phones great if u only need a sim

I have signed up with TPG as a recommendation from a friend.

You can get a good unlimited package with free international calls to the UK etc.

IInet is apparently poo.

Mobile phone i went with optus. Its pre paid so i have to top up every month but i pay $40 a month and i get 400 minutes which i can also use to call the UK (landlines and mobiles) 1 gig of internet and unlimited SMS.

I noticed this company run on telstra http://www.boost.com.au/frontend/home.aspx its completely unlimited but i have read a mixed bag of reviews. But suppose you get that with all companies.

We use Clubtelco over ADSL, never had a disconnection in 18 months. Bought my own router. No minimum contract which is good for rentals where you might not fancy a 2 yr deal with some providers, such as Transact cable.

$22.95 for line rental from Telstra, then $40 a month for unlimited ADSL2 with no traffic shaping. We use Skype for calls at home and calling the UK.

Where your rental is affects a lot, postcode and distance from the exchange affects a lot such as speed, just like in the UK.

For mobiles we went with Telstra because of the strong coverage and 4G network (but also most expensive). Canberra does have blackspots and poor coverage for some mobile providers, especially when you move away from the town centres. You can do a postcode check and see their coverage maps, or a good tip is to purchase a few $2 prepaid simcards and try them all in an unlocked phone. See what the signal's like for Telstra, Optus or Vodafone where you live and work.

You can choose a prepaid, then move the number onto a contract with a new handset at a later date if you're happy.

We use Clubtelco over ADSL, never had a disconnection in 18 months. Bought my own router. No minimum contract which is good for rentals where you might not fancy a 2 yr deal with some providers, such as Transact cable.

$22.95 for line rental from Telstra, then $40 a month for unlimited ADSL2 with no traffic shaping. We use Skype for calls at home and calling the UK.

Where your rental is affects a lot, postcode and distance from the exchange affects a lot such as speed, just like in the UK.

For mobiles we went with Telstra because of the strong coverage and 4G network (but also most expensive). Canberra does have blackspots and poor coverage for some mobile providers, especially when you move away from the town centres. You can do a postcode check and see their coverage maps, or a good tip is to purchase a few $2 prepaid simcards and try them all in an unlocked phone. See what the signal's like for Telstra, Optus or Vodafone where you live and work.

You can choose a prepaid, then move the number onto a contract with a new handset at a later date if you're happy.

Great info! Thanks for that.

Basically you pay $62.95 a month for line rental plus broadband.

We have Virgin at the moment and find their coverage quite good but was hoping that a provider somewhere did a family package........but that's not looking hopeful.

I shall now go and have a look if ClubTelco is available in Amaroo :-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you're going to Amaroo you're in an NBN area. You might want to check it out, similar to Virgin cable but the fibre goes right into the house and doesn't end at the green box in the street, so a bit different. 100mbps download, 40mbps upload so much better for gaming and video, use Skype in HD etc..

Not sure on the deals or contracts though.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/nbn-for-home.html

If you're going to Amaroo you're in an NBN area. You might want to check it out, similar to Virgin cable but the fibre goes right into the house and doesn't end at the green box in the street, so a bit different. 100mbps download, 40mbps upload so much better for gaming and video, use Skype in HD etc..

Not sure on the deals or contracts though.

http://www.nbnco.com.au/nbn-for-home.html

Not in Canberra at the moment (sadly) but a bit strange the NBN isn't synchronous? The thing about fiber is that it is a synchronous medium...

And on iinet. IT friends of mine really like them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi, can you please explain why the mobile company's state 'data within Australia'? Isn't data, just data?

Just looking for a good pre pay sim to include international sms and a reasonable amount of data. Everytime I think I've found what I'm looking for, the small print states 'data useage in Australia'

Many thanks