Retailers Fuming over Aussies shopping online

simmo

I tried on some trousers at a reasonably high quality Ozzie store. They fitted perfectly but had been made with super long legs on the basis that the consumer could shorten them at their own expense. Told the assistant that 'these trousers are made for giants' she looked at me (I'm 5ft 7) and said 'well you're too short'! True enough I suppose but you don't see many 6ft 5 women wandering around the shops!

Yes! Why is this? Why can't they sell trousers in different lengths in the first place so I can grab my short/regular/long right off the rack? The expectation you want to get them altered at own expense really irks me!

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quality of goods is poor as is price, however I've found the customer service to be fine in most places. There will always be clueless teenagers working in retail - they are on the whole friendlier here than in London, probably because they are paid more fairly here.

Guest Ptp113
Yes! Why is this? Why can't they sell trousers in different lengths in the first place so I can grab my short/regular/long right off the rack? The expectation you want to get them altered at own expense really irks me!

Strides do come in different leg lengths.

Guest Ptp113
Funny you mention that, because my Hubby went into Myer in his Tradie gear to get me some perfume, and the staff were so rude, and looked down thier noses.

He said they would not even hand him the set to look at,they kept hold of it tightly.

Beggars belief really, as in London, we used to see the tradies pulling up outside the stores in thier ferrari's and porsche's and going into department stores, where they were treated with the upmost respect, as they were the ones who had the wads of cash and were spending it in the store.

The majority of staff in stores here, just seem rude , and they must loose an awful lot of customers with the snotty attitudes.

Only rude to poms I guess.....

Guest Ptp113
Been here for well over 30 years and I've never bought a pair of non-leather shoes in my life.

Where do you find these non-leather shoes? What do you call a reasonable price?

Same here. Apart from runners where do you buy non leather shoes? All mine have been leather for 45+ years here.

Guest Ptp113
Very simple. Before we came, we did not believe it could be as bad as people said it was. We thought they were exaggerating. We got here and found that actually they aren't.

We aren't in the position to be able to go back at the moment, but I suspect that if our circumstances change and the right opportunity arises, we may find ourselves moving to Canada smartish!

Might be cheaper to learn how to shop.....

Guest Ptp113
I really don't understand how anyone can begin to defend the way shops try to rip you off over here

You could leave??

Guest Ptp113
I'd disagree there, the early days were like that but not anymore.

The forward thinking companies are now internet shopping companies with high street outlets, the increased profits from internet sales subsidise the store outlets which act as additional advertising and "shopfronts".

Australia accepts it's an awfully long way behind the USA and UK with marketing and online service, but i'd like to see them do more rather than thinking it's all going to go away one day, because it's not.

Online service from local companies has been outstanding. Quite a surprise to be honest

Same here. Apart from runners where do you buy non leather shoes? All mine have been leather for 45+ years here.

I bought a pair of runners last week. Just looked at the label and it just says upper non-leather. Not much help for what they are made of. These are saucony. All of the runners I have bought for the last 8 years or so have not been leather. I much favour the ones where you can feel the air through them. Avoids sweaty feet.

Online service from local companies has been outstanding. Quite a surprise to be honest

I totally agree with you. I had two grandchilren born last year and I bought so much stuff online from Vic., WA.Qld and NSW. Very prompt delivery, excellent quality and price. I've bought shoes from SA, pet products, always buy online, and pool accessories from Qld and NSW. Can't believe people are complaining so much.

Guest Ptp113
I must be shopping in the wrong places then....lol. Last time I bought jeans even....I went to Just Jeans and had to get the things altered.....

Jeans are available everywhere in different leg lengths.

Guest Guest26012

Lots of shops sell different length trousers.

Lots of shops sell different length trousers.

Which ones? Next time I need trousers I'll look at your suggestions. I don't recall seeing racks of trousers with different leg lengths in the shops I've been to though. Different sizes yes and they seem to alter leg length with size, but I haven't seen for instance a size 16 in one style availabe with a leg of S, R and L. Not when I've pottered about in Millers anyway. Definitely not Just Jeans because they sent me off with a discount voucher to an alteration service downstairs!!! :err:

Doesn't matter anyway, I bought some clothes last visit in the UK so won't need long trousers or jeans for a while I shouldn't think.

Guest Ptp113
No sympathy!

If only there was M&S food in Australia - then we could send Coles packing!!! :o

Poms and supermarket food. A silliness that never ceases to amaze

Or better still, use your manners. Waitrose offer a product range and quality which Australian supermarkets can only dream of. Not all of us are enthralled by mediocrity.

Or better still, use your manners. Waitrose offer a product range and quality which Australian supermarkets can only dream of. Not all of us are enthralled by mediocrity.

Well mediocrity I shall not use try out of the box dint use supermarkets , use farmers markets local shops

Well mediocrity I shall not use try out of the box dint use supermarkets , use farmers markets local shops

You're quite the charmer tonight. Have tried the local markets in Melbourne, and they're fine for meat, fruit and veg, although no better price and quality wise than Coles or Woolies. Ultimately you're driven into supermarkets anyway, as most weeks you'll need more than just three food types. It's then that the main Australian supermarket duopoly falls down in my humble opinion as their product range (in my experience) and quality leaves much to be desired. But if you love it here and whingers like me get on your nerves, then I'm sure it's all good and Australian retailers don't need to change in any way.

Archived