How much did everyone pay to ship their dog?

barnabus72

Hi, I got a quote from pet air to take our 10 year old springer spaniel from Manchester to Sydney of £4500 - which is the price of a small car and we simply cannot afford that.

Is this the kind of price I should expect or could we do it cheaper ?

leaving him will just break my heart

That sounds about right; is that the silver or gold service? The gold is much more expensive, but, you have to do a lot more stuff yourself. It cost me about 1,020 including import and export permits with PetAir, and then about 400 of vet fees, then about another 900 in quarantine fees. My dog is only 6kg and 13 inches tall. I found some that did it cheaper by about 100 pounds but that's it, and, they were clearly way less professional than PetAir.

We are using PetAir and we are paying approx £3800 for the Gold Service and I have paid £1400 odd for the quarantine for both dogs, they are sharing a kennel. Each quote will be different. The paperwork I would imagine is standard for them as each dog needs a permit etc, but the cost of the flights and routings would vary greatly I think.

They do offer a silver service which is cheaper, but will mean more for you to do, perhaps speak to them again and see if you can do more yourself, thus keeping the cost down.

I originally spoke to a vet in the UK who had experience of shipping pets to Australia in case we could not do much from here in Spain, so might have needed him to liaise with PetAir and carry out certain tests in the UK. Whilst waiting for the vet, I got chatting to his assistant, who said they had a client who did literally everything herself and only used a shipper to put her dog on the flight, so it can be done, but personally, it was not an option for us.

The pets are the most expensive part of this process, but also a lot of it is out of your control. There is no way round the blood tests, paperwork and the quarantine rules and regs I'm afraid.

Hi, I got a quote from pet air to take our 10 year old springer spaniel from Manchester to Sydney of £4500 - which is the price of a small car and we simply cannot afford that.

Hi. That sounds quite a lot for one dog. We are about to ship two dogs with Golden Arrow for £4300 all in (including two sets of quarantine fees). Our dogs are a Cocker Spaniel and a Schnauzer. They will be going from Manchester to Melbourne.

I guess part of this depends on how long your dog needs to stay in quarantine, ours are only going to be in for 30 days as they have had their jabs etc.

I think £4,500 sounds a lot for 1 dog to be honest.

Hi. That sounds quite a lot for one dog. We are about to ship two dogs with Golden Arrow for £4300 all in (including two sets of quarantine fees). Our dogs are a Cocker Spaniel and a Schnauzer. They will be going from Manchester to Melbourne.

I guess part of this depends on how long your dog needs to stay in quarantine, ours are only going to be in for 30 days as they have had their jabs etc.

I think £4,500 sounds a lot for 1 dog to be honest.

That sounds good, ill look them up, cause all the other ones iv seen you have to pay seperate for the quarantine, thanks for that

Be prepared for extra costs! You will have more to pay because some bills aren't charged until after the pet arrives, ie airport handling charge and quarantine costs.

One of our dogs got kennel cough while in doggy jail so we also had to pay for a vet to come out and the medication.

We've done a bit of research and decided on PetAir's Gold Service and were quoted approx. ~£4000 for our Aussiedoodle (Australian Shepherd/Poodle Mix) which is classified as a large breed. The quote includes in-home service and vet bills. Quarantine is separate which looks to be about £800 +/- for 30 days. I know there will be some additional costs when he (Fraggle) arrives and perhaps even at the kennel (we'll probably shell out for the walks and some grooming to keep him cool).

I'm guessing you could ask for a break down and ask if there are specific tasks and services you could do yourself and have those removed to adjust the cost? But I guess it all comes down to the level of service you'll be delivered.

The folks over at PetAir have been immensely patient with us (and all our questions), not to mention bringing out an example built-to-order crate, to our home, for us to inspect and alleviate our concerns when it came to our furry family member.

Wow, that's expensive, I hope that's absolutely everything included in the price - I paid about £2200 for a 9 year old big black labrador with Golden Arrow from London to Sydney. They were excellent, very professional and I highly recommend them. She was in quarantine for a month, and I paid that separately directly to the quarantine station for about $1300 - this has to be paid up front to secure the place. The import permit was £210.

A little springer should be cheaper being smaller - good luck!

P.S. I totally messed up with her rabies vaccination, I didn't realise that she wasn't allowed out of quarantine until 180 days after the blood sample, which meant I had to leave her behind in the UK with a friend for a long 4 months before coming out to Australia.

Edited by Aussieange

Guest westwoodc
We are using PetAir and we are paying approx £3800 for the Gold Service and I have paid £1400 odd for the quarantine for both dogs, they are sharing a kennel. Each quote will be different. The paperwork I would imagine is standard for them as each dog needs a permit etc, but the cost of the flights and routings would vary greatly I think.

They do offer a silver service which is cheaper, but will mean more for you to do, perhaps speak to them again and see if you can do more yourself, thus keeping the cost down.

I originally spoke to a vet in the UK who had experience of shipping pets to Australia in case we could not do much from here in Spain, so might have needed him to liaise with PetAir and carry out certain tests in the UK. Whilst waiting for the vet, I got chatting to his assistant, who said they had a client who did literally everything herself and only used a shipper to put her dog on the flight, so it can be done, but personally, it was not an option for us.

The pets are the most expensive part of this process, but also a lot of it is out of your control. There is no way round the blood tests, paperwork and the quarantine rules and regs I'm afraid.

Hi, is that 3800 each or 3800 for both dogs with Petair? thanks

Guest westwoodc
That is for both of them. They are small though. That is based on collection from Sevenoaks, Kent to Perth, WA.

Thanks for this, what kind of dogs are they? Mine are an Engllish Bulldog and a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, approx. 20kg each and quoted £7000, thanks

Guest westwoodc
Are you talking all in, everything, nothing else to pay, shippers doing all the work?

otherwise I would be looking at some other option.

This is the gold package which is everything from this side, then I have quarantine to pay on the other side, and then there is a further £850 to pay petair to get them flown from Sydney to Perth (the bulldog can only fly into Sydney due to available flight providers) it just seems like a lot

Its costing us around £4100 and that's from Heathrow to Perth. On top of this we have to ferry him over from Belfast to the mainland for he is to big to fly from Belfast to London. So that will be more money. I have done all my own paper work and went to my own vets. Plus we just forked out $1200 for his Quarantine. So it going to cost us around £6000. Hubby and I having many arguments about this but he is part of our family, he his Australia born he came back with us from oz to the uk. Its been a very stressful few months, will be glad to get this all over with. The things we do for our pets we must be crazy :wacko:

That does seem a lot, great if you don't want the hassle, but for quite a bit less i brought over two labs, weighing over 40kg and that was taking In to account them having to go to Sydney for quarantine and then onto Perth.

Really if you want/need to bring costs down, get a vet in your local area with knowledge of export to Oz, then its only a case of a few trips to them. Use the shippers for flight only. Once here it is so easy to arrange do domestic travel. It's no more than booking excess baggage.

For the flight and kennelling UK side for us this year was 4000 pounds, that was for two dogs, total weight just under 90kg. Then we had to pay for quarantine and internal flights. Still a few thousand cheaper than 7000

Hello, our 2 year old Westie Monty is currently in quarantine in Sydney. I did as much of the work as I could. The process needs to be started early as the quarantine period before your dog can be released into Australia is 180 days, from the results of a blood test which is taken a month after your dog has had his rabies injection. Most of the quarantine period can be spent at home with you but the minimum amount of time to be spent in quarantine in Australia is 30 days. My costs were roughly as follows:

Vet fees for all blood tests, injections, worming, flee and kennel cough approx. £500

Pet AQIS passport approx. £180

Flight from Heathrow to Sydney, including crate and vet seal approx. £980

Quarantine fees in Sydney for 30 days Aus$ 1,030 approx.

Fee for delivery from Sydney airport to Quarantine Aus$ 98.

We delivered Monty to Heathrow 4 hours before his flight. He is due to be released on 5 September and I am half expecting the possibility of a small bill for some thing. It was a lot of hard work together with everything else you have to deal with when moving here, but we did it!

Shop around for more quotes the more you do the less you pay! Good luck!